Endurancelife SW100 Ultra

1235»

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Well, our intrepid 100-milers will be an hour into their run.  Hope it goes all right.

Actually the hours of darkness are very short so visibility won't be such a problem as I've been making out.

No rain forecast until about 1500 Sat and then it looks like the second night is going to be a bit damp.

• Hi TRex, well... That was mental... Gutted to call it day at about 93miles. But quite proud to get that far on my first go. Really think we (my group of 4) would have made it if it wasn't for the weather taking a turn and us getting lost in the dunes before fistral. Up on the cliffs in the dark with wind we couldn't even stand up in was getting a bit life threatening, plus we weren't moving quick enough to keep warm and we were all starting to shake quite badly.

In so much pain with my feet and legs now, but I wouldn't change it, it was a hell of a weekend and an adventure...
  • Would love to know how other people got on and how you found it!? The people I met were awesome. Ian n Gareth top blokes! I heard you made it, awesome! The 2 guys from Brittany, Japanese kid, American guy, Welsh Sarah, Louise, but most of all Marine Daz... You guys were fantastic! Just sorry I couldn't have gona that last leg!

I would be interested to know the drop out rate too, my Support Sarah saved 7 people (including us 4). There were at least 4people at perranporth being taken back. Much respect to anyone who made it, esp later on thro the 2nd night and horrendous weather!!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

"Getting a bit life threatening." 

"Saved 7 people." 

Wonderful stuff.

I thought that second night was going to be tough in that weather when you were exhausted already.

Sounds like you had a great time though and made some good pals.  Tell us more about it if you have the energy/time.

Put your feet up for a day or two.  Well done!

• Massive respect to all who took part, The second night was indeed one of the hardest times of my life. I have never walked so far but any sort of running was just not happening.100ml race turned out to be 115ml inc some 80ml walking.

• Congratulations to everybody involved. 

This is obviously an absolutely brutal race, right up among the hardest single stage events in the UK. 

• This being my first 100 I have nothing to compare it to over that distance! I am gutted to drop out at 93m, but slightly annoyed that it was due to the weather n circumstances rather than my physical or mental state.

It was about 31hrs, and if I had just thought about it, it was gonna be light in 2hrs and could have hauled up somewhere and then made the cut off... But hindsight is a marvellous thing...

I'll bounce back tho. I gave it a good shot.
  • Superglue

If you managed to get 93 miles in this event as your first 100, then you should be able to annihilate some of the medium difficulty ones. 

Given the attrition rate, and some of the experienced ultra runners who didn't make it, it is very impressive that you did so well. 

With an event as epic as that, it is worth having been there even if you didn't make it.

• Thanks Ben, that actually makes me feel a lot better about my efforts image

I heard some very sad news that one of the finishing competitors died that Sunday afternoon in car crash travelling home.
  • That is truly terrible news.  We have a strong sense of camaraderie in our sport, and respect for other competitors.  This will be a kick in the teeth for anybody who was in the race. 

I got my first DNF in the Viking Way Ultra this year.  It hurt, but it was in an event with a 25% completion rate, which took out a lot of hard SOBs.  This made it an honourable DNF in many ways, and despite the disappointment, I did not regret taking the race. 

Sound familiar?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Superglue - gutted for that runner's family.  I hope ROs insisted on sleep before attempting to drive home.

You'd have got very cold unless you had on you one of those survival sleeping bags and some extra layers.

31 hours is very good on that difficult terrain.  Tell Ben the total ascent!

• I checked the results and he finish about 37hrs, so that would have made an 8-9am Sun morn finish. And he was out driving home that afternoon. I don't know the details so can't comment further. But it's a terrible accident and outcome after such a phenomenol achievement.

I downloaded my watch stats earlier, and it turns out I had covered 90miles to CP8 which was the 75m mark. So I think I covered something close to 105m before packing it in. I don't know how or if other people measured the course, but we did get lost a lot, but I don't think we got 15miles lost!?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

What a race - 15 extra miles by mistake.  I've done 3 miles by mistake in a race - that was bad enough!

105 miles before packing it in ...

The more info you're dripfeeding us, the worse it's sounding!!

• Hi again, i think i must have got that wrong, somehow... there's no way i did 15m extra. Def somewhere bewteen 3-5m extra tho. I think it must have been a watch issue when i swapped them over, maybe left one running, cos i can see on the stats that I (or rather my two watches) covered the same area twice after St Ives, doh. Sorry my mistake.

Toes and parts of feet are still numb image  i'm sure they'll back to life soon... Legs and rest of body feels fine now. Caught up on sleep too. If it wasn't for my feet i'd be ready to again haha!

Just looked at their stats for the ascent (not sure how true it is though) and it goes something like this...

Everest = 29,029 ft
    UTSW = 21,385 ft
    Kilimanjaro = 19,341 ft

• TRex, did you do the 60m after, i can't remember what you said? If not what race did you change your attentions / training to?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

No, I wasn't there at all.  I lost confidence in the organisers and still didn't want to go through Newquay at that time of night.  Mind you the weather probably kept them all indoors ...  Also I didn't get a £30 refund being the difference in price.

I'm doing North Downs Way 100 on Aug 11 instead.  Not quite as gnarly!

• In fairness, it was very well organised and the people at Endurancelife are pretty good. All the worries quickly went. You just can't plan the weather!! The only issue being some of the CPs weren't as well stocked as they could be, but then other CPs were really good. Newquay wasn't an issue from what i've heard. We went thro penzance early on Fri night and the people out drinking and partying (there was a funfair on too) we're great and supportive, cheering everyone and clapping image

Still waiting for my feet to heal to contemplate whats next. But i'd consider it again. The race has such a great potential.

I was gonna ask on here, what other 100s could people recommend, as i feel like i have unfinished business with the distance, and i want to know i can just bag one and tick it off the list! I have heard of the NDW100 and the SDW100, i thought these were pretty tough too?

Would love to see if anyone could rank the UK 100milers in order or easy/medium/hard...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

No such thing as easy SBimage From my knowledge of the trails not necessarily from running the races I would list something like below :

Medium - TP100
    Medium Plus - SDW100, NDW100, Caesars Camp 100
    Hard - Lakeland 100, UTSW 100

• Cheers WIB, I was guessing the TP100 would be my best bet, as i've done the TT50 and it's pretty flat all the way. Maybe just maybe set my sights on that next year to gain some more experience then try one of the others...

I have an emptiness, where there once was a goal... image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Don't underestimate it though, its still a long way! A lot of people came unstuck at it this year.

• I now know what it feels like to go for that long, and it hurts like hell, i'm ready for that again. Was it the TP100 where the weather turned tho and it got called off later!? Sounded horrific (not far off my UTSW experience now i think about it). I don't wanna be beaten down by the weather again... that would slay me image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

That was indeed the TP100... It has been moved to later in March this year so hopefully godo weather all round!