Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• hmmm - I think a price hike from £20 to £32 is a tad steep even if they are bringing in chip timing.......but I guess that because it's run by the local council (MY local council!) that they are trying to make up some shortfall in council revenue from central government.

frankly EBC could have canned the race instead to save money but it's a good advert and money spinner for the town (hotel beds, meals etc) so they have decided to carry on but at a higher price - and considering how quickly it now fills up I guess part of the mentality is that people will still pay to enter. and at £32 it's still very comparable to other marathons in price - and less than many others.

I shall mail the council as a resident and ask their reasons.....

I shall let you know their reply
  • fat buddah - It would be a great lose if this marathon stop. As I am paying £45 to do Brighton Marathon I am willing to pay £32 for this race. The Beachy medal is not in the same league at Brighton, but then you get all the food at Beachy.
  • The chip timing does mean everyone will get an accurate time recorded, but in a way it's a shame because it removes that old magic 6 hour cut-off (every year you missed it you vowed you'd do better next year).

I do think they should reconsider that 8.30 registration cut-off though. Anyone driving down on the day may well find that a bit tight, and it does mean hanging around for a while before the start.

• TG - sure Brighton's more expensive but then it's run by a commercial operation that needs to show a decent profit - maybe EBC only need to cover costs.

OK - I mailed Anita at the race office with questions about price hike, online entries and registration issues and this is a digest of her reply.

1. PRICE RISE

With the rise in costs from contractors/hire fees/Police Fees/Road Closures Fees/VAT increase and the introduction of the chip timing system, unfortunately the price increase is necessary to sustain this event.

2. REGISTRATION & CHIP COLLECTION

I am sure there will be initial teething problems, as with any changes to events. However, I intend to spend a considerable amount of time on the organisation for the registration process and intend to spread the registration over two days to help alleviate a mad rush on Saturday morning. Registration will be open on Friday (times TBA) and Saturday morning. Should, as you suggest, participants get stuck in traffic and do not meet the 8.30am deadline there is no reason why they cannot still participate it will just be without the accurate time or placing. The electronic timing has many benefits, not only for participants but also for the future organisation of the event. It will give us an accurate drop out rate allowing us to offer 'on the day entries' and more importantly the system also provides many Health and Safety benefits.

3, SENDING CHIPS BY POST

Sending the chips out by post maybe an option but as in previous years all numbers, along with the final instructions were sent out by post. Last year the number of lost/not received/misplaced numbers was astonishing so by having registration on Friday and Saturday where numbers and chips can be collected at the same time is a good option and is not an unusual request. Another reason for not sending the chip out in the post is the financial implication for each lost/not received/misplaced chip would be approx.£25 each, I am sure you can understand this would not be a viable option.

4. ONLINE ENTRIES

I do understand your point about some people not having internet access or lack of trust for the security, although I am sure you can appreciate on-line entries only events are becoming more and more common place. In the future I hope to offer the facility of on the day entries, helped by the technology and information supplied by the electronic timing equipment. Eastbourne Borough Council is committed to becoming a paperless organisation and this is a step in the right direction. On last years statistics the postal entries are by far the minority and as you point out the cheque use will be phased out eventually so there will be little option but to offer on-line entries only.

reasonable answers I think to concerns - let's see what happens eh? I think having registration on Friday will help take the loads of Sat am registrations. I'm not sure what late arrivals will do about numbers though if they can't get into registration - I guess they will have to run without which might be chaotic if one of them wins it!! no number - no proof of start etc. ooops.... that will need to be clearly stated in advance!!!
  • fat buddah - A good idea to have registration on the Friday as well. Will be interesting to know what time registration is open on the Friday, we will probably get an email about it thou.  Am impressed with the speed that Anita replied to your email. Thank you for find this out for all of us.
  • mordomordo ✭✭✭

AHH AHH AHH

all the up and down, back and front, left and right e.t.c

we can all moan all year but we are still going to register and run(or limp) because THERE IS ONLY ONE BEACHYHEAD, it's addictive and we are all junkies for this one

• Sadly, Mordo, i think you're right.   But entries on the day? That's only of use to those who live locally (any idea of the percentage involved?). and an analysis of finishers over the last few years would give a pretty accurate picture of the drop-out rate anyway. (10% is a pretty reasonable guess.)  Why are the numbers limited as they are, anyway? Anybody know? (And don't give me that old chestnut about Elf''n'safety!)

Out of interest, how do the walkers feel about using chip timing? The odd few seconds aren't going to matter much there, are they?

Thanks for the info, FB.

• FB just had a thought! If ,as you posit, late arrivals might be able to run without numbers, then we could all do that, and run Beachy for free!   I don't see it, somehow.....
  • ap - I can do it for free any time I like - I live locally... image

I don't see entries on the day happening - if they have 1750 places and have sold them all - and if people are no shows that's their problem, not the organisers - why offer EOTD?? seems odd

as for the numbers - it'a been that way for some time - 700 runners, 700 joggers (so that's 1400 runners!) and 350 walkers. I think they limit numbers as the race goes through a National Park (now - was an AONB before) and they want to limit the impact on the environment.
  • mordo - Yep will be my 6th year and hubbys 3rd year this yearimage I blame Plodding Hippo and her race reports. Thou to be fair Hippo did run my first 1 with me image
  • One day maybe, we'll have joined-up thinking . Until then, we'll just have to keep pointing out the snags in all these bright ideas ! Nuff said. Move on.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I have enough good will towards this race to see how it pans out with the new organisation - I know it is getting more and more difficult to organise large scale races  and I appreciate the swift reply (and investigative activity FB).

MB - congats to  you &  Mrs Miserable Bleeder (and the lurchers). Hope to see you at some of the favourite offroad events in 2012  - I always do South Downs and Beachy, Greensands will probably be added to that list as a permanent fixture.  One day I may even venture north of Luton.

• helly d wrote (see)

I have enough good will towards this race to see how it pans out with the new organisation - I know it is getting more and more difficult to organise large scale races  and I appreciate the swift reply (and investigative activity FB).

MB - congats to  you &  Mrs Miserable Bleeder (and the lurchers). Hope to see you at some of the favourite offroad events in 2012  - I always do South Downs and Beachy, Greensands will probably be added to that list as a permanent fixture.  One day I may even venture north of Luton.

Thanks Helly,

Have a fun packed programme of walks planned (whether I get to do them is another thing).

1. Three Shires (Peak District) - 29miles
    2. Coventry Way (warks) - 40miles
    3. Clun Valley Challenge (Shropshire) - 26miles
    4. Leaden Boot Challenge (Peak District) - 26miles
    5. Malvern Midsummer Marathon (Worcs) - 26miles
    6. White Peak Walk (Peak District) - 26miles
    7. Wistanstow Walk (Shropshire) - 26miles
    8. Longmyd Hilke (Shropshire) - 50miles

So it should keep me busy for the year.

May slot in another couple, depending upon finances and time.

Hopefully will be back in 2012.

• looks like we're swapping this year then - I'm going to marshall....

is Kevin doing it as well??
  • BB ✭✭✭
    He's retired from running, just cycles now. I enjoy marshaling, but I was a little bit wistful about running again...probably won't feel like that at the bottom of those steps! Though if the weather is like it was the year before last I may have a lie-in instead!
  • B - we are due a Beachy with lovely dry, sunny and not windy race.
  • BB ✭✭✭
    excellent thanks for sorting it Tracy image
  • I'm in too.  My first time off road over this sort of distance (unless I enter something else first) so it should be interesting
  • For those who were Beachying year before last and saw some of the filming that was going on that weekend, Brighton Rock has its premier tonight.
  • i don't remember any filming in 2009?

but i do like the book, hopefully the remake will be good
  • imageHelloooo, am running my first one... Will be my only marathon this year and have only heard good things about it.  £32 is a lot but they're amazing experiences that you never forget. If you compare it to other events like football matches it's not ridiculous.  I'll admit I'd like to see sporting and arts events subsidised  (the public health and educational benefits would be massive) but unfortunatley that's not the society we live in....
  • Feck it !

Decided to enter and give it another go.

Owe it to myself, after seeing stars from 20miles onwards in 2009.

• mordomordo ✭✭✭
    Well done miserable bleeder. We all see all sorts at 20 miles and stars are probably better than exaggerated HILLS. See you in a few months
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Aww, you like running really. don't you MB?

If you are down the evening before there's always the chance for a bit of carb loading in  a local hostelry to forget the pain to come.

• I'm in.. missed last year due to illness, but hoping for better weather than in '09 when one could only see 10 feet ahead!!!

Scotty

• Helly, by Carbo Loading you mean a half a pint of Guinness ?

I've entered as a jogger, but will see how the year goes and may revert to walker again.

• That means you'll avoid my misguided guidance when I kept on cheerfully telling you that the next was definitely the last hill again and again image.