Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• ha ha, was that at the first sister BBH(you meanie)
  • Why not enter the inaugural Tonbridge Half Marathon on September 25th in Dame Kelly Holmes' home town.  It's the perfect way to prepare for the Beachy Head Marathon a month later.  It's an undulating course through scenic Kent countryside.  More details on www.tonbridgehalfmarathon.co.uk

Andy Blundell Race Director

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Sounds good Andy, but it's a bit far to travel for a half.
  • Going back to MB's point about entering as a jogger, what times should a runner  and a jogger be doing it in to enter themselves as such ?
  • On the entry form a runner is under 5 hours, a jogger 5-7 hours and a walker 7-9 hours

I'm going for 4:59:59 so ambitiously put myself down as a runner!!

• OOOOPS didn't see that.

Oh well I was hoping for under five for my first one, better make sure I do it now !

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    MB - I suspect your half of Guiness may be a bit like my 'swift half' that is rarely swift or a half.   I don't think the organisers are ever too worried about the distinction between runners, walkers and joggers so you can transform from one to another at will.
  • Hi Helly, how are you? Beachyhead seems a long way off, plenty of Mara's and Ultras to do before then. What are your plans for bigger stuff this year?

I have Brighton Mara next week (i am an official pacer for 4hrs, should be fun) and then London the week after (aiming to run it 4 x in 24hrs for charity). Classic Quarter in June and then probably South or North Downs Way 100miler in the summer. Come to think of it, I am going to be pretty busy image

• Hi Mr Immune,

Good luck for the Brighton Marathon, what colour pen are you starting off in for the Brighton marathon?

Thanks AHA

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Hi Mr I - I'm busy pretending I haven't signed up for  things as that would involve me having a training plan . I partially blame you for one of them (GUCR) as although someone else sowed the seed  you watered it  !

I'm also doing South Downs Way in July which I'm quite excited about . In the meantime I will be doing  3 Forts, South Downs Marathon (because i always do it)  and Round the Island ( 2 days round the Isle of Wight) as well as anything else I can afford  that will substitute for some proper training or preparation.

I seem to know quite a lot of people doing London this year., I'[l probably be along to support on the Highway so I'll be looking out.

• Haha, GUCR, that should be fun image. I hope you have had some sort of training plan as GUCR will be no cake walk, I think Jezza is quite looking forward to it, but he is a bit mental image. I will probably do Southdowns as per usual, as one of my fave courses. Round the Island sounds good, was tempted last year but plans didn't work out. And at some stage will have to grin and bear it and do a Road Mara and go for a time as Brighton is pacing and London is 104.8miles.

ahapartridge - I am meant to be starting in White, but this may change as it is nowhere near the 4hr runners i should be pacing. Are you doing Brighton?

• Hi Mr Immune

Yeah, doing Brighton and did it last year, planning on going to the Expo Sat and having a look round and to sign up for 2012.

The only reason I asked about where your starting from, is that I'm going for 4 hrs, might be a bit of a challenge for me, but got to have a goal.  Might try and tag along for a while and see how it goes and the miles clock up.

I'll try and keep my eyes open for you on the day, good luck to all, AHA

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I think I can safely state that no bit of GUCR will in any way resemble fun but I'm in it now and have no intention of ever returning to it (flat! hard surface! canals!) so I'll just have to try and do it. Run / walk  (crawl) and eat enough is the plan. I shall have to check how  Jezza is getting on on t'other forum.

How did you peeps get into Brighton - I thought it sold out in minutes?  I may need todo one road mara as I vaguely intend to enter Boston next year and I need a good gfa time.

• Got into Brighton because I got selected as an official pacer for the CLIF Bar Pace Team.

I am wanting to do Boston as well, but with the new way they are doing entry the faster you are than your needed time the earlier you can enter. I need sub 3:15 but am probably not far off 3hr shape at the moment (famous last words), so should qualify if I can find a chip timed, certified distance road mara that fits in with all of the other races I am already doing.

• TCPTCP ✭✭✭

I'm in.  Been meaning to do this for years.

Hi Helly.  Long time.  How you doing?

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Hi (abbreviated)TCP. So you haven't abandoned running entirely for cycling? I'm happily offroading with my distances getting longer - doing entire South Downs Way in July.

Was shocked to find MVP full this year by the time I got round to applying, hence no show.   Beachy will probably be a bit less muddy than you are used to although territory should be otherwise familiar.

• TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    More like abandoned cycling. Just been running for a year now....and loving it.

The entire SD way. You running all 100 miles of it? Over how many days?

MVP was so muddy this year. Great but the most difficult its been for a while. I can't wait for Beachy Head. I have Man vs Horse to do in June and I'll look for another long trail run in September.
  • Do you have to navigate the route yourself or is the route signed and marshalled?

I may be tempted to do this as my end of year marathon.

• hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Hi ITB. The course is marshaled, and it is my all time favourite race. Highly recommend it.
  • Just a few more questions before I sign up.

Is the water available just at the check points? Is any sports drinks provided as well?

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Water and squash is available at all 4 check points. Plus hot drinks at check point 3 & 4. There will be biscuits, mars bars, bananas, hot cross buns and sausage rolls too.
  • Why have I not done this race before with aid stations like that image
  • BB ✭✭✭

ITB a lot of people wear camelbaks or take a drink too as the first checkpoint isn't till 8 miles - it is a great race image

I am sure I weight more at the end than the start!
  • I'm in. My first marathon so I'm pretty nervous and excited at the same time. I've been doing some fell running recently and purchased some Inov8 mudroc shoes, but what do people think about wearing for this race (there is nil cushioning)? I'm also keen to purchase some off-road shoes with some cushioning as a cross-over from road to fell - would they be more appropriate? Any thoughts welcome, cheers.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I only have road shoes and have run 5 Beachy Head marathons. I would go with off-road shoes as you run on lots of gravel as well and rocky uneven bits. My hubby did it as his 1st marathon in 2009, not a great year. We had lots of mud, fog, rain and very windy. If you love off-road with great views this is the race for you.

I said no after finishing my first Beachy, but that only lasted an hour. Now I cannot wit for online entries to open every year.

If you want to do a 20 mile off-road race pre Beachy then Jog Shop Jog 20 is a good bit of training.
  • Cool, thanks for that. My dad has been regaling me with stories of the old Seven Sisters and telling me I won't beat his time...unfortunately I only really remember going to the swimming pool in Eastbourne whilst he was running so it should be all new to me. Entering a 15 mile Helvellyn and the Dodds this Sunday to see how training is going but I'll look into Jog Shop 20. Thanks again.

All those who have completed this race with their dogs can I ask what time you did it in, breed and age of dog. Don't want much do I!

Would so love to take my cocker spaniel on this, much have a feeling it is too much. Having run this race for the last two years I have seen a few smallish dogs who look like they were having a fab time. Last year I completed this in 5hr 58 (without canine).
  • hopetofinish

I thought I'd read somewhere that the new organisers had banned dogs this year. Anyone else know for sure?

Thank you ancient plodder - will check it out.