Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• I'm in this year, first time I've actually got round to entering. no horses to worry about at home this year image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Loon - brilliant news image
  • hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭
    Just received confirmation from Anita Frankly, events co-ordinator that all well behaved dogs are welcome.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

hopeto finish - check previous year's thread there were a couple of dog queries. I'm glad they aren't barred as they're part of the event. The ones I have seen have been terrier types ( I think 2009 first dog was a fairly low-slung one) and a labrador. I think you have to be sure their paws can take the distance as there's more than enough provision at checkpoints for water etc. I thin you just need to be prepared to go over the time limit (and off the results list) if you have to.

Cockers can also be a bit prone to overexcitement, can't they? 

TCP - sorry, missed your reply. Yup, whole SDW, still time to sign up if you want to give it a crack http://www.southdownswayrace.org/

Robster - check the weather. If it' s dry you can use road shoes but I'd also consider a pair of hybrid shoes a good investment as the Inov8s aren't the most comfortable unless the conditions warrant them.

• I'm in... entered at the weekend. Got to try and break the 5 hour mark this yearimage

Really enjoyed it last year  image

• hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭
    Thank you helly d. Chances are that dog will stay at home. I have managed to cross the finish line ahead of my husband for 2 years in a row, and my dog's welfare would come first, so would slow for him. Can't have my husband beating me.

• Have had a quick read through and I'm going to enter, lots of food at the aid stations, on a Saturday so wine afterwards and a friendly face, see you there Tommy!
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    KateF - if you're down the night before there could be wine before too.image
  • Helly, my liver likes marathons as it gets a little wine holiday for a few days before!
  • Im thinking about entering this, having done the South Downs Mara on Saturday. How does it compare scenary wise? I found it helped to take my mind off the time and the miles just flew by
  • Beachy Head is beautiful...painful...but beautiful. Running over the first 'Seven Sister' really is quite special.

When it's not teeming down with rain that is! - 2009
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

pmo - it's very similar in both scenery and terrain but season and weather dependant. The Seven Sisters at the end can be stunning but in 2009 visibility was down to about 10 yards so you could have been following random dog walkers rather than other runners towards the finish.

Go for it  - this and SDM (and also possibly Greensands) are the  ones I will sign up for every year.

• pmo - SDM apparently has an extra 2000ft of ascent compared wirth Beachy (my Garmin stats support this), but it honestly doesn't feel like it because with Beachy the sting is in the tail............................... The last six miles are about as tough a finish as you'll find anywhere (a bit like the 3rd quarter of SDM but with more (and steeper) hills). You will hear more 'never agains' on the Seven Sisters section than in any other race - and more 'definitely doing it next years' at the finish than any other race as well.

helly d and Craig are spot on - think we are due a clear, fine day for this in 2011 so it will be fabulous ! I can't recommend this race highly enough. It's always near the top of the RW ratings for good reason.

• I ran the seven sisters for the first time yesterday. The word Ouch springs to mind this morning, and to think that comes at the end ! Better get some more practice in.
  • That's cheating ! Better to have a nice surprise on the day surely !! Which way ? (or both/out and back ??)image Isn't the scenery just brilliant ?

• Started on the seafront and ran back to Seaford where I live. I'm lucky living local that all my runs have great views. I get spoilt by it all.

I'm glad I've done it prior to the big day as I'm not sure it would have been a nice surprise image

• Old Gwasshopper - I also read that the SDM was 5700 feet, but my garmin data showed only (only?) 2700 feet, so on a par with this. I ran Beachy and the Seven Sisters as training for the SDM, so I know not to look forward to the last 6 milesimage.

Im in regardless, happy hill training all.

• pmo -don't worry to much about it the whole race is fantatic whatever the weather. Just try and enjoy it.

I would say don't look for a time but this year I would like to get under 5 hoursimage

Yep the seven sister are hard but not that bad, I guess its all relative depending on how you feel by the time you get there

• I'm in (entered in March). I can't remember what I entered as though - I'm hoping it was as a runner....

This will be my first marathon 'race'.

• Hi all, I was hoping to do this as mostly a run but I am now expecting to just be a get around in whatever it takes thanks to a hip niggle that is keeping my mileage low.  anyone else planning on just enjoying the day fancy joining me ? image
  • Cat5 - it really doesn't matter - everyone startes at the same time anyway. I've had runners, walkers and joggers numbers for this - there must be a rough allocation but i don't think it's strict.

STIG109 - nice. I live near the Downs (further West - Ditchling beacon closest point) so it's only a short drive or a 5m warm up to get to them for me too. Scenery is unbeatable, I just love being up there early mornings. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Loon - that's how I always deal with this one ! I'm hoping to be in the 4.30-5 window assuming no more injuries between now and then (big assumption given my record !) - does that work ?

pmo - my Garmin for SDM showed 5,200, but the event website shows 5,500 and Beachy 3,500. To be honest SDM doesn't feel like 2,000 ft extra but it might be as there are a couple of monsters, whereas Beachy (last 6) are mostly short sharp bumps once you're on the cliffs. I don't know for sure, but they're both f*&^%$g hard anyway !

• OG - I wont argue with you thereimage
  • I'm in - first marathon since Canterbury in 1983!

I don't often run on the road but my weekly mileage is quite low. Apart from increasing the mileage does anyone have any top tips for getting around this one alive?

I run in Inov8 roclites most of the time and intend to run in them on the day. A good idea or not? image

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    If you are comfortable in the Inov8s over the distance you'll be alright. The Downs drain quickly so shoe choice is definitely weather dependant on this one. On drier years a lot of people use road shoes, in 2009 some of those people weren't overly happy. I use hybrid  / light trail shoes , mainly to give me more confidence  on the downhills. It may be worth bringing a couple of pairs and deciding on the day.
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Just butt my head in. If you use identical mapping tools then SDM + BH come out about quits elevation wise.

If you use Garmin for elevation then you will get a very optimistic (if that's how you want to view it) result in terms of elevation.

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Its full!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    UB - there's usually some dropouts, keep mentioning that you want a place when the thread gets busier.
  • tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    I  have a place that I wont be using ( just want entry fee) image
  • Seems to have taken quite a while to fill up this year.

Now, just need to break in my fabby new Meindl Walking Boots for this jaunt.

Did the Malvern Midsummer Marathon as training, which has the Malverns at mile 19, so should be ok.

Just have another 4 Monster Walks to fit in between now and then image

• Miserable Bleeder: Meindl boots don't need breaking in: they're great straight from the box (I've got some). If they're the stiff sort that are  good for mountain walking, they might be a bit OTT for this.

I thought BHM filled up slowly too.   Nothing to do with the price increase, difficulty in parking, expensive

parking, lack of convenient accommodation, though!