Beachy Head Marathon

Comments

• There is a method to my madness, as these are a size smaller than what I would normally buy in a size 9.

I had my feet checked and I've always bought a size 10, which apparently are too big. So I have to break these in gently.

They are a softer version of Meindl's (Matrei), so I will see how the weather goes before deciding whether to use them.

And as for cost, I reckon I will be touching £200 for this event, when I take into account the entry, B&B, and petrol to get there.

• anyone know of a spare place?

• hope to...hope to... ✭✭✭

Hang in there Too Much Water, there normally are a few.

My husband, for one has yet to start training. His last run was Beachy last year!
  • I am honestly just expecting to get round this, I doubt I'll run much of it at all thanks to a fecked hip that has totally bollixed any training plans. it'll be 7 hours or more for me I reckon, I really want to experience this though so I WILL BE THERE image

• Did everyone get the e-mail from Anita with "everything we need to know" !?

I'm a first time WALKER - the note seems to suggest I can't start walking until 09:00 - but I'm sure I've seen others start walking before this.

Any thoughts / guidance from experienced BH walkers !?

Thanks 

• The way this event is organised has changed this year - before it was 'turn up and go' if you were a walker, - although they did request that if possible you waited until the official start. Now with registration and chip times it seems more regimented.  Would check with organiser.
  • Let's hope the slower walkers carry torches! Average walking speed on that kind of distance and gradient is 2.5 - 3 miles per hour, unless you really push it. Makes it a bit tight for those who want to enjoy the scenery!

Is the chip registration still closing at 8.30? 

• According to e mail yes.  The cut off is 6p.m. which allows 9 hours so just under 3mph needed.   Marshals seem quite efficient at sweeping up stragglers so all should be off the course by dark (around 6.30ish).
  • Given that the collection point is so near the start, why the early cut-off? I can see it's useful for the organisers, but those driving down on the day might find it  a little difficult.  Recording chip numbers and start times at the start means you know how many actually turned up. Or is the last 30 mins for 'on the day'  would-be entrants, mopping up chips allocated to those who didn't actuallly turn up on the day?
  • BB ✭✭✭

I should think it is to encourage people to get there in good time, they don't want a queue of 100 people to process at 8.55

ancient plodder wrote (see)

I thought BHM filled up slowly too.   Nothing to do with the price increase, difficulty in parking, expensive

parking, lack of convenient accommodation, though!

Don't understand the above comments.There is lots of free on street parking around the area if you get there in good time and as for accommodation there are loads of places of all sorts within the town

• lack of accommodation?? - it's a seaside resort out of season!!

i've never paid to park, i arrived about 8:45 last year and parked within 5 minutes walk of the start.
  • I think I parked around the corner last time.

Maybe what he/she means is that many of the hotels / B&B's do not have parking spaces ?

Maybe the fact that it filled up slowly was something to do with the price increase versus the recession ?

Who knows ?

Most of us are in, and I suppose that's all that counts.

As for pace, stay a few steps behind the Bear and you will be alright image

• UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Chav....you found the convenient parking last year from having a local to guide you image

As I'm no longer a local I will have to sort out some accommodation though this year!
  • good point spaz, i will need you to remind me where that was image
  • Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭

Hello

If anyone knows of a place going spare I'd be grateful if they could let me know. I had been looking at the website for a while and it was suggesting there were 150 places left, but by the time I went to register it was full.

Many thanks.

Martin

• I have to drop out due to re-occurring achilles problem.

So my place is for sale.

• Bidders,

If your place is still for sale? If so I would love to take it off your hands.

I ran this in 2009 and couldnt see a thing due to the weather. I would love to run this again and actually see something!!

Tom

• "I would love to run this again and actually see something!!"

no guarantee of that! I was marshalling in 2009 at Lullington Heath and got soaking wet and hardly saw a thing all day bar a procession of runners - I hope to be marshalling at the same spot this year, so could do with a nice warm, calm sunny day.....

Chav - "it's a seaside resort out of season!!" errrm - October is still IN season in Eastbourne. it doesn't really have an out of season 'cept perhaps Jan/Feb. November will see the start of the Xmas weekends so all the bloody decorations will be going up in hotels as soon as October finishes. it's quite bizarre.......
  • As we get closer I could use some advice from those of you who have run marathons before.

This being my first I'm trying to understand the idea of tapering. image

When should I be looking to do this ? and then do you stop running altogether or just keep doing a little to keep everyting ticking over ?

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I usually have a 3 week taper.

Hubby, kids and I walked from the Seven Sisters to Birling Gap and back yesterday. We ran down all the hills. We were blown there and had to fight the head wind on the way back.

Knew when we had reach the last Sister on the way back as lots of people. They only walk up the first sister.
  • STIG

tapering is the period when you stop doing the heavy training loads and back off the distances run, and effort put into them. you don't stop completely but cut the distances down quite a lot. this gives you a recovery period before race day so that you are much fresher and hopefully raring to go. for some it's 3 weeks, for others 2 - and for some who have a lot of experience, and know their bodies, they might not bother at all.

personally I like 2 week tapers - suits me better
  • Does anyone know if we can transfer/swap entries?  I'm not going to be able to run - I've tried to contact the organisers but no response as yet.  Would much prefer my number is used!
  • Thanks Tracey & Buddha. Gives me something to work with. Did 16 miles today over the sisters and up the hill out of Alfiston. Was bloody hard work all those hills. Did make me think why oh why had I signed up for this as my first one. Oh well a good challenge and trying to raise some cash as well. I'll have to focus on that !
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    STIG - I practice running down the finally hill as we was watching the air show near Beachy Head pub.
  • A great place to watch from. I love the views up there !
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I hate that hill at Alfiston.

Got the wibbles today when we parked the car near the school. My long runs have taken a back seat as we are on holiday with the kids. Going to do a 14 mile run on Tuesday.
  • Martin JMartin J ✭✭✭

Smiley 3

I'm still looking for a place. Would be happy to buy your place.

M

• If anyone has a place going I am hunting high and low for one! (for some unknown reason)

Pete

• Martin J, the place is yours!  As soon as I can make contact with the organisers I will confirm the swap with them.  Can you let me know how to contact you to arrange?

Cheers