Grindlefor Gallop 2011

Apparently this is almost full with 8 weeks remaining. Anyone here entered for this year? I'm in as a first timer & expecting more of a stagger than gallop from myself!

Comments

• Entered and ran last year, great event and food...

• Dronfield Runner wrote (see)

Entered and ran last year, great event and food...

Does that mean it ends up (or you called) at the 'Station Cafe'???

Presuming it's the Gridleford in Derbyshire?
  • Hi Dronfield Runner. I was at Gosforth Fields on Sunday to watch my lad's footie team image.

What made it a great event ? Please don't say the hill climbs image. I'm already looking forward to the food.

Richard - Tis Derbyshire, yes. Have you entered for this year? I gather the cafe is highly recommended, altho I've never eaten there.

• jim noone wrote (see)

Richard - Tis Derbyshire, yes. Have you entered for this year? I gather the cafe is highly recommended, altho I've never eaten there.

Grindleford Cafe always had a 'non-nonsense' reputation for good food & certainly no 'airs & graces'!!

An old review, but you get the idea;

http://russelldavies.typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/2004/07/grindleford_sta.html

• A brilliant race, gutted i can't make this year. If the weather is right, the secnery is stunning.
  • Leta deal with the important question first, food -  had cakes at Hassop station, more snacks at Baslow and a final Jelly Baby just b4 the climb out of Baslow. At the end we got soup, rolls and drinks and did I forget to mention it was all home made..... Did recall that the first drink station was after @ 1 1/2 hr ?? But suspect we will not be having a heat wave image

Hills, living in this area are not too bad....one from Gindleford to Rilleys grave, bit of a climb onto the moors, a very nice slightly muddy climb up from Bakewell to the tops before the drop into Chatsworth. Then the final, lets kill the legs from Baslow onto the edges. Then did find that I got more "pain" from the path on the edges and then the run down into Grindleford was painful.. I have found the downhills later on are woarse than the uphills.

My first long distance event last year and gave me a taste to enter more, have a look at the LDWA site for simular events in the Peak, Baslow Bootbash being one.  

• I'm in - always one to be swayed by the promise of good food image
  • D R - I ran the final 5 miles of the route last Saturday. That meant a mile of walking from Baslow! I'm gonna need a whole lot more than a jelly baby coming out of that checkpoint.As I descended through the woods to Grindleford I was thinking how much pain will the quads suffer on the day. That must be a killer. I did wonder if falling over & trusting in gravity was an option, but looking at the tree roots it would be a bumpy ride.

I haven't seen the other climbs but I did the Baslow Bootbash a few years ago & really enjoyed the day out.

Frodo - great to know someone else is in for this year. I agree with you about the food. Have you done this before?  

• Live near Bakewell I should have entered this ..............anyone cant make it let me know........I run to work on the Monsal Trail most days. Good luck to those who are in it. Must check out the route and run it.
  • I'm a bit of an off-road novice, Jim image

I'm using it partly as a bit of a blast before the Paris Marathon and the beginning of my preparation for the Lakeland 50. But really, it's because I fancy a good day out in the hills.

Bearing in mind it's proximity to Paris, I won't be blazing the course, so will be pottering in with the back markers, I'm sure!

• Frodo that sounds like I'll have someone in sight (maybe even some company) as I expect to be at the rear image.  I gather people use the Gallop as an indicator for their time in the London Marathon. It does mean racing rather than just getting round. I've not done any speedwork for ages so I'm on a get me round approach. I'm thinking somwhere like 5 hours, but I don't feel the need to go for a target just now.

Moving from off-road novice to Lakeland 50 sounds like a spirited move. Is the Gallop part of the training for that?

• I should say that I have some ultra distances under my belt already, just none that have the navigation element - that's something I definitely need to gain experience in!
    I'd be worried racing Grindleford, flat out, as it were, so close to an expensive marathon - knowing my luck, I'd do myself some silly damage image
  • Frodo, have a look at some of the LDWA evenst for a bit of navigation, found last year appart from the final edges, plenty of people to follow. Not sure about flat out, walked the hills and managed 3:50 and that included food &  toliet stop
  • Mark - what a lovely commute to work you have image. It sure beats the tube etc. How far is the run & do you run home too?

Frodo - I've never raced abroad but appreciate the caution about self-damage. Like yourself, I need more experience in navigation. For the run along the edges from Baslow I took the notes from the race website & managed okay. I'm aware that if I miss a checkpoint though I'm going to be disqualified which sounds rather notorious.

• i'm in for the first time and really looking forward to it. Ran the first half a couple of weeks ago and doing the 2nd half on sunday, Hassop to grindleford, just need to join the two together.............
  • Hi Sam, what did you think of each half? Was either easier than the other?

• I would definitely say the 2nd half is harder. The first half has one steep climb up to Eyam, but this is only about 2 miles into the race and although quite steep, its manageable when your fresh. The 2nd half has two climbs, the first of which is about a mile after Hassop station and goes up through the woods at Bakewell, this was pretty muddy on Sunday and saps the legs a bit, this is about the 12 mile mark. The real killer, well it was for me, is from Baslow up on to the edges, its long, steep and not very nice!! and comes in at approx the 16 mile point, however that said the views from the top are worth it.
    Let's just hope for good dry weather on the day as parts are quite muddy.
    enjoy it Jim.
  • Thanks for the info Sam.I'm pleased you said the climb from Baslow was the hardest. I've done that & wouldn't want there to be anything harder, even early on in the race image. I'm sure it will be a walk for me on the day. Along the edges is uneven / rocky & difficult for different reasons. I would like to explore other parts of the course so I might be able to run one if not both of the others before race day. This weekend I'm thinking of running from Grindleford along the Derwent Valley Heritage Way to Calton Lees and then back to Grindleford up the hill & along the edges. That should give me an idea of how much the legs will hurt for the last 5 miles image.

• That sounds a nice run Jim. I would say the worst places for uneven footing is a bit at the start through the woods at Grindleford, it is rather narrow as well there, and the descent off longstone moor into great longstone which is very rocky. One of the friends i was running with took a fall on this stretch a couple of weeks ago.
    I thought the edges were pretty much ok, a few short places where extra care is needed and a slower plod more suitable but overall manageable.
    enjoy that big hill at the weekend!
  • I done it last year, and I'm in again. It's a brillant race, really tough, but good fun.

I need to start getting mileage up!

• "really tough, but good fun." that sounds like a good Saturday run to me Shaun image.

I'm looking to this race to build up my long run distance, with 15 miles planned for this wekend. Still a distance to go though.

• Bad news for me. Throat lurgy has got a hold so I've decided not to go out for my long run. I reckon I'd only run down my energy levels & feel a whole lot worse. So, I'm trying to be sensible, & patient, in the hope that next week will be better & I can get back to the intended mileage.

Good Luck to others image.

• 4 weeks to race day, so how's it going?

I went over the route this weekend & found out how muddy & steep the woods are up to Ballcross farm. Along the Edges was busy with walkers & I met loads of people coming up Hay Wood as I was trying to run down. This was where I was unsure of the route but managed to find my way down to the road.

I hope everyone else is happy with their training.

• Training going well thanks Jim, i did the first part, Grindleford to Hassop station again yesterday and conditions are still pretty good. Its a bit muddy going up through the woods to Eyam but otherwise fairly good footing all the way. Mind you i ran the Mickleden Straddle last week and after that experience the Somme would have seemed good conditions!!
  • I was out on Saturday. It was much sunnier, warmer & drier than yesterday. In fact I did wonder about shorts for race day. No doubt it will be rain & shine between now & then though.No doubt it will be rain & shine between now & then though.

I've never run a fell race so don't know about Mickleden Straddle. I've just had a look at the website & it sounds 'interesting' image.

• It was my first ever fell race, and at about 12 miles it was going to be my LAST. 65 mph winds, thick mud and endless soakings in streams i was wondering what on earth i was doing!
    Still, a week on and I'm already looking back at it fondly and looking for the next one to do......
  • Oh Sam, I can visualise the streams but coping with such strong winds seems an invisible battle. Isn't it a strange sport we enjoy when we're looking back with fondness at such a gruesome time and then searching around for a similar experience.

Any plans for after Grindleford? I'm just building up the mileage so not got anything in mind yet.

• Hi Jim
    We are a strange breed aren't we! Only race of any note i have booked in is the Bonn half marathon in April. I have several German mates running in it and got persuaded to join them when i visited last year.
    My first race on foreign soil.
    Hopefully i will hear of some more fell or trail races around the peaks this summer, when the weather might be a bit better.
  • attempting the full course for the first time tomorrow, weather forecast is for heavy rain too, wish me luck!
  • I'm really feeling for you this morning Sam! Snow on the ground & more falling. Peak FM has just announced the Baslow - Chesterfield road is closed, not sure why. I know you might be able to slide some of the downhills but getting up the woods to Ballcross farm is bound to be hard work today. Perhaps parts will be scenic? Chatsworth will probably look good. There will be much fewer walkers on the Edges compared with last Saturday I'm sure.

I'm cutting back this week & due for 10 -11 miles today. I'm going to stay local & keep steady.

Let me know how today's run goes for you.