Grindlefor Gallop 2011

Comments

• Ran up from Baslow onto Edges and down to Grindleford and back via DHL way to Baslow. Conditions were a bit wet on tops, bit muddy going down through woods. Woarse bit was the start from Girndleford to Frogget, muddy in fields and last section of path was a 1/2 cm stream. Hopefully will dry out, just need to increase milage which has been lacking due to cold and slight injury. Think the 10% rule will go, plan on 15 miles next week and will wing the rest on the day.
  • DR - I can imagine that stream along to Froggat, just deep enough to soak your feet! What catches me out is suddenly comig upon a sodden part in a field & no escape from sinking.

My steady 11 miles on Saturday had a higher heart rate than I expected. Both ankles werein need of ice when I got back. I've just cut short my usual 5 miler this morning cos my left  ankle aches too much. I'm sitting with an ice bag on it nowimage. I suspect I ran too hard a week ago when I did the whole route. So DR,be careful how much you push it. I had intended running the full route again one more time on Saturday. Now I'm wondering if the ankle will  be strong enough for race day.

• aaggh, illness struck on Friday night , no running all weekend and probably nothing untill wed/thurs at earliest, how frustrating!!
    It's getting close now and still only managed 17 miles , once! it's got to be the full course next weekend no matter what.
    Why do things like this happen when everything was going so well? Oh well grumble over, if worse comes to the worse, i will grind it out on the day somehow.
  • Sam, I only ran to a max of 17 miles last year and will not be running the full course this year, its too close. I have had several weeks of cold/strains which have put paid to my great plans, but did a 1/2 marathon in jan,10 mile fell race in Jan. Ran several long distance events last year to know I can get round. Just disappointing I may not better last yrs time. Grindleford was the start of my venture into long distance &  ultra running    
  • Bad news for you Sam image, sorry to hear that. Everything was going fine for me too, as in building the mileage. I tried a fast 4 miles or so to the finish & now paying the price. Better to be able to take part then not make it to the start line though.

Perhaps do the route this weekend if you can, but not at race pace. Then you can be reasonably okay for the 12th. You'll know how it went without putting pressure on yourself to perform.

DR - what else do you have in mind this year?

• Jim, current list is

Norton 9, Wakefield 10K, Sheffield 1/2, Baslow Bootbash, poss. Stanage Struggle, Long Tour of Bradwell in Aug and Nine Edges in Sept. After that will see how the legs go to see about Worksop 1/2. I will also do a lot of the local Fell races, great fun and cheap!
    Major race for me this year is 'Bradwell, ran last year and it was a learning experiance but at least I finnished, still growing toe nails back from last yrs! 

Sorry to hear about injury, agree with you, these events are all about pace, not seting off too fast and ensuring you drink & eat., as its very easy to get lost in the running and  forget it

• DR - I'm finding my feet this year, after injury, so Grindleford was quite a commitment. Not sure about anything else at the moment.

I've never done the Sheffield half. In fact I don't do many races, especially Sundays. I did Baslow Bootbash a few years ago & enjoyed it. I would like to do that again. As for most of the others I'm not sure whether they're races or local beers image. Either way they sound like they should be tasted.

• Haha, most are LDWA events similiar to Grindleford and around the Peak, not heard of them until I picked up last year 'Gallop forumn posts. Highly recommend as a great day out. Last long distance event I did was the BHF Winter Hike in Nov. which I would also recommend that was 17 miles, so I feel quiet relexed about the distance just a question on the day about the finnish time. Tend to follow the pack and walk the hills, don't set off too fact espec. since we hit several styles in the first mile which bunches the pack back up again.
    I ran both Leeds & Sheffield 1/2's last year, but unfort. on the same day this year and cannot justify the trip to leeds,       
  • DR - that all sounds good to me. My eldest son is doing Sheffield this year. He's not a runner though. A couple of miles is enough! He wants to improve his endurance but hasn't done much so far. The ice stalled things & it's not easy to get going when you prefer lifting weights in the gym.

I've been out this morning for the first time since the aborted run on Monday. Lots of green gunge type stuff coming out I'm afraid which goes some way to explain why I felt so rough yesterday.

I just want to be okay to run in 2 weeks' time image.

• That sounds rough Jim, especially as i'm sat at my desk reading this and eating PORRIDGE!
    Hope you feel well come race day. I feel better now but not 100% but i am going to try for the full route in the morning, i'm on holiday next weekend in the lakes ( i've promised no running) so this will be my last long run before the race, i'll let you know Monday how it went and what state the course is in, wet & muddy i suspect.
  • Did 21 miles ysdy, Baslow up over Chatworth to Combes Frm to pick up the monsal trail and picked up the 'Gallop route to Grindleford and back via river to Baslow. Stil very wet and muddy, going up from Bakewell via the woods was difficult even walking, not even sure fell shoes would make any diferace.
    Hope you feel better Jim, just go out and enjoy the day and take satisfaction in finnishing the event, that is an achievement let alone a time.

• Sam, I'm eating porridge now, but no gross details to read about image. You're gonna need to be able to walk on water & mud today after last night's rainfall. DR's description above sounds bad enough without more rain on top! Good Luck with the route image.
  • Hello again image

Less than two weeks to go...! Pottered out for 16m along the Trans Pennine Trail today, in hail/torrential rain and wading through ankle deep mud and puddles - good preparation, do you think? image
  • Hi Frodo - yeh anything requiring flippers if not a snorkle sounds about right image.

Any bets about it being sunny & v warm (if not actually hot) on the day? Now that would throw the preparation efforts.

• It didn't go well at all i'm afraid. As DR already said it is very wet and muddy, especially the hill out of Bakewell, which i would say is impossible to run up, even walking i had to haul myself through the mud holding on to tree branches.
    The fields as you head to Edensor are like paddy fields, with no way to avoid the swamp!
    I don't know if it was a bad day for me or a combination of recent illness and hard conditions but by Baslow i was shot. I ran the road part of the hill, then walked up to the monument, but right along Curber and Frogget edges my legs were like jelly and i more or less walked the last 2 miles, even the downhill bit!
    I'm dissapointed and a bit disheartened to say the least, wish i'd left the full route till race day now.
  • Oh Sam, I'm sorry to hear it was such hard work. Looking to get something of a positive outlook from the experience, I'd say the illness might well have sapped you more than you had realised. For my own part, I'm not very good at knowing how drained I am & tend to be too optimistic that I have recovered properly. The climb (!) to Ballcross Farm sounds like it would drain the best of us. I reckon you're spot on with the paddy fields description. I just put up with water in the shoes when it's like that but it does make for slower progress. Trying to maintain the pace will be tiring. As for the Baslow to Wellington's monument section ... I haven't been able to run the road section, opting for a fair paced walk instead. I can imagine you'd be done in after that.

If conditions are similar on race day you will know to keep plenty in reserve cos you're gonna need it (aren't we all). It's easy to be wise after the event, so don't beat yourself up about the decision to do the full route. Get some proper rest & recovery & be fresher rather than exhausted for race day.

Thanks for posting.

• Thanks for the words of encouragement Jim, i'm away walking in the lakes next weekend so that should relax me a bit. No more long runs until race day and i will just have to hope that was as bad as it gets, and on the day things go better. At least running with other people should be an encouragement.
  • Enjoy the Lakes !

Spoken with just a hint of jealousy image.

• I was really looking forward to this one, but unfortunately am no longer going to be able to make it up for the race. 

I know that there was a waiting list for entries - is anyone on that interested in taking my number?  If so, I will contact the organisers to get it moved over.

Thanks

• Sorry to har that Harris. I hope it's nothing too serious keeping you away & that you can make it next year. Any chance of rolling around in sodden fields & climbing steep muddy hills for a few hours, to give you the feeling of taking part?

All the Best.

• H E L P !

With just 2 days to go my left calf has turned to a solid lump. I've tried self massage which seemed to help  but  soon afterwards it's tight again. Any suggestions what I can do so near to race day?

• Sorry to hear that, assumed you have searched/checked here and also the fellrunners forumn (FRA) may have the answer. Have you increased you training recently or done anyt thing to provoke it ? May be a case of rest, massage, ice and a prayer.... I am also carrying a groin strain which after 9 days off, hoped would have gone but a short 6 miles last night and can feel it
    Don't you just wish for some weeks to be longer ?
  • Hi DR,

I did the full route last Saturday & 5 miles on Tuesday morning. I was tired but not injured on Saturday. I was going to do another 5 miles this morning but opted to stay in bed as I was tired.

My left calf turned to stone as I was walking into town this morning. I'm hoping it has miraculously disappeared when I wake tomorrow morning.

We'll see.

• Hi Jim
    Hope the calf eases up for Saturday, apart from stretches and massage, i can't offer much advice I'm afraid.
    How is the course holding up, is it still really muddy? or has it dried up a bit?
    I never made the lakes, my illness returned with a vengeance, i haven't run for 2 weeks now, and that was a poor one, fingers crossed it all comes together on Saturday.
  • Morning Sam,

sorry to hear you didn't get to the Lakes. Life does have its twists & turns eh?

I've been told I'm 'at risk' of redundancy this week image. There's other stuff in life apart from the running. But, we know what we enjoy & want to do. I'm going to try & contact the Race Organiser to see if it's too late to transfer my place to someone on the reserve list. The calf feels much better but whether it's going to hold up to the route is another matter.

I do hope you can have a reasonable run tomorrow. I'd just advise a slow run until Hassop or Bakewell followed by a very slow climb to CP5 then see how it goes to Baslow, walk up to the Edges & do what you can from there! Basically that would be my planif I do set off.

All the Best.

• Sorry to hear that Jim, it certainly does put the running in perspective, i hope it all pans out ok for you.
    If you can't transfer it are you going to still have a go?
    Good luck to everyone running, walking or maybe even crawling tomorrow!

I'll be runing in a bright orange " porter valley plodders" vest so please say Hi if you see me.

Sam
  • I've not heard from the Race Organiser & my calf has seemed fine all day. My left foot has a troubling niggle though. Has my imagination gone mad? I'm going to see how it is in the morning & praps take it steady. I will look out for you Sam before the start. I'm going to be at the back so you're unlikely to see me after the gun. I will have a North Derbyshire vest, Golden yellow with a red hoop across the chest. There may be others from the club so don't be surprised if you get some odd looks cos it's not me.

All the Best to all.

• Hope you all had a good run image
    Personally, I had a whale of a time - set out with no desire to be speedy, just wanted time out on the hills and miles in the legs. Job done. The cakes were just an added bonus image

What a lovely event image
  • HI Frodo, I thought I had posted on Saturday evening but obviously not!

I agree this is/was a lovely event. The signposting was good & the results soon appeared. I gather the was a blockage for some but I took 4 1/2 hours so missed the backlog. 

Like you I took it steady, with a fair amount of walking. I did manage a faster finish for the last section along the Edges. I enjoyed the outing with a bit of company at times.

Here's a question: is the distance 21 miles or 21.7 miles?

• 21miles on my Garmin, Jim.

I don't know about you, but DOMS has bitten with a vengeance in the last 12 hours image