Stockholm Marathon 2011

2»

Comments

• And the weather is looking perfect, the forecast for rain has changed and now it is a perfect 12 to 15 with a light breeze.

Good luck to everyone and enjoy the day - and then you can sign up for the 2 Stockholm Marathons next year!

• We have to pick up our race numbers from the expo Saturday morning (fly out tomorrow night)- do we need ID like passports? I did not want to bring stuff like that (leave in hotel safe usually) just in case.
    Keeping fingers crossed for the ash cloud to stay away and the weather to be nice and cool.
  • You should have been sent a 'startbevis' in your welcome pack - you only need to take this to get your number. And note that this also acts as a free tube ticket when you show it on the way there!
  • Last year it was simply a case of handing over the form that was sent out in the pack - so it should be the same this year, but maybe worth contacting someone official just to be sure!

I will pick up my number on Friday evening and will post if any id was required or not, hopefully you will get a chance to check.

And the weather here is looking perfect image

http://www.yr.no/place/Sweden/Stockholm/Stockholm/long.html

• I never got sent a pack- just an email which I have printed out (but it is all in Swedish). Thanks for that will try to check on here when we arrive.
    Yeah the weather is looking fab!
  • I have to pick up my pack on Sat morning as well. Bit of a pain before the race but hey.

Am battling to make the start line after stacking it in the Edinburgh Marathon last weekend and smashing up my hip but am hopefully that another days worth of ice will do enough good to enable running. Should be a fantastic day out.

Best of luck to everyone!

• I am running this too.  Fingers crossed the volcano behaves itself and we will make it.  Good luck to everyone, hould be a good day. image
  • Maria, have you put that email into an online translator? Otherwise if you want me to have a look at it and give you the jest of what they have said send a copy to me in a private message and i will tke a look at it for you.

Hope you all have a great day, plan to run it myself next year but cant decide which of the two stockholm marathons to go for

• Maria, just to confirm no Id required - and there cant be any rain left for today after the amount that fell yesterday evening! Such a shame for the pasta party as it was so nice last year in the sun, but better than having the heavy rain today image

Good luck to all

• Thanks for that!
    So , how did everyone get on?
    My target time of 5.00 went quickly as my legs got so stiff- no idea why as it was not that hilly or anything. Finished in 5.21.59- I was so pleased to see the finish line. Nice t shirt too! Not sure if that will stay my first and only marathon thought!
  • Congratulations to everyone who finished.

I was a bit concerned before the race because my training didn't go anywhere nearly as well as I hoped so I just wanted to get round in one piece. But for some reason it actually went quite well.  The first hour went by in a flash and I got to half way feeling quite good and was actually enjoying the race. I knew I was going out a bit too quick so I slowed my pace a little for the second half.  The second lap was tough but I kept it going and finished in 4:18 which is a pb by 6 minutes.  So all in all I'm quite happy.

• A great day for running, if a little windy sometimes. A PB for me as well, so looks like most people were happy image Welcome back to Sweden next year!
  • and of course you can do 2 marathons here next year!
  • Got home this evening really enjoyed the run. Great day found the 2nd half of the course tough and managed a touch under 5hrs good tshirt and nice medal Got to say found the people really friendly and apart from a bit of rain Sunday great weather.

May return next year despite the two hours of Euro pop prior to the start and commentators who make those that present the Eurovision song contest seem depressed!!!

• This was my first marathon, I loved every second of it!! A week before the race - I came down with a viral and chest infection and was advised by my Doc not to participate.. My training hadn't been great - shin splints, knee pains etc.. we had only managed to get up to 14 miles before the race so as you can imagine I was absolutely terrified.
    Very nearly pulled out the night before.
    However, luckily i had improved a bit by race day and this was no doubt one of the best things I have done, atmosphere was fantastic - pure determination got me through it in just over 5hrs and what a buzz.

I ran with my brother, we managed to get to 21miles before his knee went on the downhill, It was hard going to get back into it, after we had stopped.
    The following sunday, I could not move - it was actually worse than the race itself.

I was challenged to do this by my brother who is an avid marathon runner, I hesitantly accepted. I could honestly say I never understand why people would willingly put themselves through such gruelling tasks.. but after this I am absolutely hooked.
    Cant wait for the next one.. Well done to all you guys. I have a new found respect for anyone crazy enough to do this as a hobby!!