RunLiverpool Marathon 2011

Comments

• Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

Belatedly posting after the fun that was Sunday.

Nice meeting up with a few prior to the start and having a little chat. Good to hear Mrs Warkie is quicker than Warkie at the mara, as well as 10k.

Really good meeting up and chatting/drinking with a few afterwards. The point of this running lark is to get fit so you can meet and drink. All about balance. However I believe next time we should meet up in a bungalow, stairs after a marathon and not good. Scouse Elvis, any updates on your next road mara?

From a personal point of view the race was not great, 1:33 through half, 3:21 finish. Upper Parliment was not fun at all. Leaving the tunnel was truely amazing and I blame then for my pain on Upper Parliment, as I ran much to quickly between the two points.

Great meeting you Scooby but to let you know divorce proceeding are set to happen any day now..image

I also had an injury on the day and could not train for 4 weeks prior so i have a list of reasons why i did so badly..imageimageimage

Cheers for letting me know we are in the video Ulen will watch it with Mrs Warkie tonight

Mrs Warkie will be running the Marathon next year (I may be doing the Manchester) even if she has to run through that Bl##dy tunnel again...I must admit after the support from the Liverpool crowd and wonderful marshalling I am also tempted (also would like to add as others the lady with the foil blanket wrapped it around felt  I like a little boy being looked after by his mum...Wonderful image)

We both will be running the Half next year so hopefully see some of you there

Thanks Alan glad to see most of the comments are positive and please get the drumming band for the exit of the tunnel 10k next year pretty please ...imageimageimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning all - still no pics on marathanfoto, how long does it normally take for them to upload?
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Just been for a short plod of about 3 miles across the fields. Legs feeling good as I've been walking a lot on Monday and Tuesday which has loosened them up nicely image

I'll bet the team at Rothwell towers are still on a high image
  • Red head, you forgot your fellow redhead on the course!  I saw you at New Brighton, remember?  What time did you get?  I struggled on that stretch (well, I struggled all the way to be honest).

Reckon I will run tonight too....want to get back into it, and seriously considering another marathon at the end of the month...which will make Liverpool look easy!

15W....are they STILL not there?  Most events I have ever done have always had the photo's on by the Monday, latest.  Not sure what the hold up is?

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Oh Panda, I'm so sorry! Of course I remember you. I really enjoyed the New Brighton stretch as I know it well - my friend had a flat there many years ago and I love that view across the river. I finished in 5:14:37 which is 35 minutes slower than I'd hoped for. Must be getting old image How about you? Oh and I'm toying with Beachy Head as there are lots of spare places going........

Just remembered Mikey and Mike w but can't remember who's Fetch and who's RW image
  • Yeah, I liked the view too, very impressive, I think it was more the flatness of it (if that doesn't sound stupid) and the wind..though it could have been a lot worse.

4.29, can't complain, all things considered.  Just wanted to get round!  Nothing wrong with your time either, remember, someone told me, only 1% of the population every run a marathon, and I think we forget how hard it is and long it is too, so much respect to ALL of us!

I officially love Scousers!  I live in the NW (but from N East England) and I can't believe the pettiness between Manc's and Scousers...people in Manchester.."Oohh...Liverpool..blah blah blah"...I love BOTH cities and am lucky enough to live half way between both.  Am going to sign up for the Manchester marathon when I get paid.   It's like a holiday isn't it?  Make yourself feel better by booking another!!

x

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent time Panda! That was my 24th marathon and I'm already sketching my plans for 2012 but I quite fancy another one to round off this year image
  • No way...24th!  What is your best time?  How many do you do a year?!  Which is your fave?  Sorry...so many questions.

I want to do another this year.  I suffer with my feet quite badly, so next year might be my last marathon running year.

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Panda, my PB is 4:50 and I've done 4 marathons this year. Most I did was 7 in my 50th birthday year. My favourite marathon is Beachy Head as I prefer off-roaders really but I couldn't resist Liverpool. You might find off-road marathons suit you better as they certainly don't leave your legs feeling as mashed as road marathons.
  • Wow, I am in awe...that's brilliant.  7 in one year?  What does your family think of it all?!

I have never done an off roader really, and not sure I fancy it too much as I worry I might turn my ankle or something.  Still, it doesn't hurt to try different things, and sometimes you do suprise yourself.  Do you also go abroad to do them?  Are there any that you want to do but have not?

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Panda, my hubby is very supportive as I do it increase awareness about dementia and to raise money for research. I've only done one marathon overseas and that was Salzburg earlier this year and was also our first holiday for 9 years. It was wonderful! There are many, many marathons I would love to do but time, money and an ageing body might restrict the number I actually manage image
  • Brilliant that you do it for a good cause too.  You are amazingimage!

I know...it's not a cheap hobby when you start working out how much you spend on travel, entry, etc etc.  I still am amazed you have done so many....you will be in the "100 mile club" before long!

• Hi

Just to say a big thankyou to Alan, Yvonne,  all the volunteers and the people of Liverpool.

I had a great time on my first visit to Liverpool.

Hopefully I will come back some day and improve on my time.

CHEERS

• Well that was my first marathon so none others to compare it to, but it was a great experience. Funnily enough I was the 2nd person to sign up for it online so I've been waiting a long time for it and it didn't disappoint.

I know the delay at the start was a bit annoying but it wasn't the organisers fault and a couple of the previous half marathons I've done have had delays.

As has been said the crowd support was fantastic. It was very good at Hamilton Square, but coming out of the tunnel and through the city was something else. It was great being in the tunnel hearing the noise of the drummers which really pushed me on up the slope and then out into the open with a unique view of the Liver Building.

I didn't find the parks too bad, as I have done the half marathon there a few times and looking at the course map pre race i always expected that point to be the bit where I may struggle so I was prepared for it a bit and I quite enjoyed it.

I know a lot has been said about the course and the use of the parks, but I suppose it's a balance of being able to run on streets and being able to have them closed for the duration of the marathon. I also like the tunnel as it is a particular feature of Liverpool/Wirral and I'm not sure of any other marathons which use such a long tunnel if at all. I also don't know any other marathons in the UK in a similar sized city that use that much of the city centre. I know they have the BUPA 10k in the centre, but The Greater Manchester Marathon is called Greater Manchester because it doesn't go into the city of Manchester at any point, whereas this did go through the centre of Liverpool.

I finished the marathon soaking wet from the rain and only noticed on Monday that I had sunburn on my shoulders, presumably from the first few miles.

Drink and gel stations were plentiful so couldn't ask for more.

Best of all though I didn't need to use that change I had carried round with me for the reduced price recovery drinks as they were FREE!!!

Thanks to Alan and the team for putting it all on.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Still no pics on marathonfoto site - bit strange...
  • A very good evening to everyone,

Hope you're all started to get over the aches and pains.

It feels really funny now all the excitement is over. Been out for a little run just to help loosen everything up and can't wait for parkrun at the weekend.

Mikey hope you're feeling better now. Really gutted for you mate that it all went so horribly wrong after the months of training. Hopefully see you at pennington flash one saturday.

I hope  I get to keep in touch with some of the wonderful people I have met along this marathon journey. It's been such fun

Take care

• Yeah 15west - seems unusually slow - anyone know why?
  • Maybe our saviour Allan can find out?image
  • Alan - thanks for the email. Really good to see you taking comments on board and making the marathon even better. Thanks for all your hard work. I LOVED the marathon on sunday. Missing it already. See you at the half next year and probably the full again
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

I emailed marathonfoto and got following:

Dear Customer,

Your images should be available for viewing within 5-7 days after the event has occurred. If you have not received information to view your images by 10/18/11, please contact us and let us know. Thanks!

Sincerely,

AG

• My first visit to Liverpool and loved it. The support for the race was really encouraging particularly as we ran through the city centre. Well done on organising a great day.

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    So, who's going to start the RunLiverpool Marathon 2012 Forum?
  • Imeccentric wrote (see)
    Good to see you all in the boozer , or on the course thanks for all the shouted "go pirate support" , we had a great weekend in Liverpool , the city did itself proud , and the RW folks were brilliant company as ever . Ta !

It was good to meet you and all the others

and i enjoyed shouting "go pirates " lol

it was good food after, it kind of made the marathon seem all that more special rather than rushing off at the end too, nothing like a good drink and food lol

i was very sad to leave liverpool after i have to say, will have to come back again, it must be a massive boost for the city

• Ulen (madasaboxoffrogs) wrote (see)
    Is it just me, or are loads of other people singing Beatles songs to themselves today? I've got Help, Can't Buy Me Love and Hard Day's Night stuck in my head on a loop...
    yes i am still singing them today, doesnt help that ppl keep posting lots of beatle songs innuendos on my fb too, now i keep humming the tunes!!!!
  • Hi there, newbie to your forum here, I am just here to say I have started a page on Facebook where I have uploaded about 500 or so images of runners from the Liverpool 2011 marathon on sunday, I have also started a group so it is easyer for you good people to tag yourselves and friends, I hope you dont mind me posting on here!!.

I would also like to take the time to congratulate all of you who took part in sundays event... you all deserve more than medals. I myself couldnt do it as one's knees are shot to bu**ery after years slogging around with massive amounts of kit on my back in the army.

Again well done to you all!