Baxters Loch Ness Marathon and Festival of Running

right xmas & new year been & gone nows the time to concentrate on nessieimage

Comments

• Just been having a look at their website, contemplating my first marathon this year and I think this could be the one!

Have you run it before?
  • CB69 yes ran it last year 1st 4miles are mostly downhill,then you got your 1st sharp climb,but it's mainly down hill or flat with odd climb for the 1st 10 miles,then it gets a bit tougher the worst climb is
    between 18 & 21 miles then it's a flat run in to the finish
    the worse part is you got to catch the bus to the start which takes an 1hr to get to as they go the long
    way round cause of narrow roads,then you got to hang around for another hour @ start no shelter last yr it rained,but it was still a great event

• I enjoyed the bus ride to the start. Took in the scenery.

Excellent event.
  • Hmm, looks like a lovely course, I think I could really like this. That bus ride though, I can suffer from travel sickness on buses, especially on winding roads! This would not be the best start to a marathon me thinks! Will have to give this some careful consideration.

Thanks for all the info.
  • CB69 the bus ride aint so bad just drags on a bit,the race runs along side the loch between about 5 & 17 miles great senery miles 22 to the finish is through inverness the back down from mile 25 along the river ness,a decent meal @ the end aswell
  • Thanks marathonman, still contemplating, I feel strangely drawn to this marathon!
  • Aha!!  Was looking for a forum page on this! image  I've just signed up for this today and am really looking forward to getting the mileage up after a couple of heart scares in the past few years, but all better now! image

Never done this one before so looking at the comments on the hills etc with interest already! 

• So what are folk doing training wise - I'm kind of starting to build up the miles towards October already - managed a 10 miler yesterday (at a slow pace).  Is there a perfect length of time to build up or is it all just flexible? image
  • first marathon this year, enjoying the build up, 8miles today (slow pace) probably do most of my long runs along deeside line, (Aberdeenshire) good luck to all participants
  • Argh!! I've entered this, my first marathon, and have also entered the ballot for VLM 2012. Obviously, Nessie is a guaranteed entry, and so I'm a wee bit scared!! image
  • JENJEN84 you will love this event just you like water you will see plenty of it

• LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've just entered this marathon!  Can't wait.  Did my first marathon last week in Belfast and LOVED it!!!  Can't wait til October for this one - seems no-one has a bad word to say about it!

DonJShaw - I reckon I'll start training proper at the beginning of June for this one, and will set a 16 week training plan up.  This useful wee tool on the website here for creating your own custom training plan is pretty good and very flexible:   http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/runners-world-smartcoach/3057.html

Gerry - just discovered the Deeside line today (was running through Duthie Park).  Cracking stretch for a run!

JenJen - I've entered the ballot for London too - I've really been bitten by the marathon bug after last week.  I'm sure you'll love it too!!

• Thanks, Marathon Man and Lindsay. It's all exciting stuff! Congrats on running Belfast mara, Lindsay. image
  • I had signed up for the Brathay Windermere Marathon but am out of the UK working, it was going to be my first full marathon, as I live in the Lake District in Windermere itself it seemed quite apt so cheesed off to be missing it.

However, every cloud has a silver lining, and this situation means I am 99.9% guaranteed to be in the UK for this fab looking run so signed up for this a few days ago, can't wait. The website does a great job for all the information you could want.
    Actually looking forward to the bus ride. looking forward to the views of the Loch and surrounding countryside.

As with you JenJen84, I have also entered the ballot for VLM 2012, fingers crossed for all who have entered.

Look forward to seeing you all in October

• CB69, this will be a great 1st marathon to run as the organisation, scenery and atmoshphere are wonderful.  I've signed up for this for the 3rd time.  I use the time on the bus to listen to my iPod and have a wee snooze image.

Jenjen84, I've also entered the VLMballot for 2012.  Infact it was after my first marathon in London that I signed up for Loch Ness.  London wasn't a great experience for me as I had trained all winter alone in the cold with numerous layers on and on the day there was just SO many people and it was 28*C with people passing out all over the place!!  It was a shock but I've entered the ballot to change the experience to a +ve one image

Scott, I was looking at Brathay too.  I'm Scottish but live in Bucks and was going to do that on my way up to Scotland but the date was a week out.  Maybe next year as it looks like a scenic one too.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

• HI ALL JUST BACK FROM A GREAT WEEKEND OF RUNNING THE WELSH CASTLES RELAY NORTH TO SOUTH WALES 210 MILES 58 TEAMS OUR CLUB CAME 17TH,there are 20 legs in the event i did leg 2 10.8 miles 1hr13
  • anyone need a place in this marathon I can't use mine
  • 1st Marathon and starting to feel Jittery, 20 Mile training run tomorrow!
    Good Luck & Best Wishes To Everyone
  • LITTLE ZOE theres not much happening on here so i suggest you click on events as theres another loch ness forum post on there you may have more luck
    sorry to hear you can't do it

STU welcome to nessie all the best with your 20miler i got 20 myself tomorrow then we can relax abit
    its perfectly normal to get the jitters
    can i suggest you check out the other loch ness forum also under events as its a bit more active than this 1

• no probs i just noticed you found the other one good luck also try the organizers they may have a waiting listimage