Options

UK Gear PT-1000 Running Trainers

13»

Comments

• Options

I was excited to get my hands on a pair of PT1000's from Sweatshop in Reading the other day.  The toes box seemed nice and wide which suits me and they felt great during the fitting but having taken them on a 15mile slow run in the snow and slush on Sunday I am not so sure.  On both feet I felt some rubbing on my little toes but had no blisters when they came off at the end of the run. New shoes always take a little running in so that's fine. However I did notice a couple of painful pin prick like depressions on top of the toes one in from the little toes on both feet, which was odd.

Over the last 24 hours (resting) I have developed identical blisters where the pin pricks were.  I have since found a review here http://trailrunningsoul.com/trs/2011/03/23/pt-1000-review-built-to-last/ that describes the exact cause of the problem, though for me it is only the outside edge where this happens. 

/members/images/570104/Gallery/Shoe.jpg

It is the point of the lace support at the bottom of the tongue digging in when the shoe bends. I am now wondering if this is likely to settle down as the shoes wear in or only occur in the wet.

Is this a design fault? Should I just call it a day and take them back?  I don't really want to as everyhting else about the shoes is great!

• Options
    k g 10k g 10 ✭✭

Hello peeps,

I'm a RW virgin so please be gentle with me! Just joined today!image I'm also a bit of a new comer to running. But I find myself rapidly becoming obsessed with it all, to the point where I'm making a post on one of these new fangled interweb forum type thingies.

Anyway to cut to the chase so to speak I got a pair of PT1000 a little while ago and I've been getting on with them quite well.....however, does anyone else find the grip more or less vanishes on wet hard packed earth trails - the kind of thing where the tractors have packed the soil solid or smooth wet road surfaces? I find it starts to feel like running on plastic lugs on a polished floor, it even sounds like running in football studs! I'm assuming the 1000 miles claim, comes from a harder wearing rubber in the sole but is it bordering on plastic as apposed to rubber? I do find myself losing faith in them on that particular stretch of my regular long weekend run.

Or maybe I just need to find a new route image

• Options

I bought myself a pair of these (Neutrals) and really like them, but as with kg 10 find they do lose some traction in the wet. But as I'm still only "Brisk Walking" it was ok, not sure how safe I would feel using them when I start jogging. May have to keep them for off road use (get me planning to go off road image) and a different pair for road work.

Andy image

• Options

Love mine and done about 300 miles in them on various surfaces from tarmac (on the way to trails) to loose stones and full-on soggy mud. Until a little while ago there was very little visible signs of wear but recently the seam between the rubbery toe-cap and the mesh has started to part. I am a little pidgeon-toed but none of my other running shoes show any signs of wear in this area so this looks like a manufacturing issue. I think I should be able to return them but although I know I bought them from a running shop I really can't remember where and certainly don't have a receipt. Anyone else found this problem?

• Options

can someone advise me on how wide they are? i have to run in a 2e shoe..i bet they wont fit me!...yet again another trail shoe that wont fir wide feet booo hoo

• Options

JL

I have widish feet and was also worried these would be un-comfortable but they fit rather well. Not done that much distance in them yet - about 70k, but they seem ok.

Andy image

• Options

AlbeoLupus

Thanks do you take a 2e eide running shoe normally?

• Options

When I was measured the 2e was the most comfy,  But i'd seen the 1000's (on the web) and they were half the price of the ones I had tried on - a New Balance pair, can't remember the number.

And being tight (I mean careful image) with cash I took the chance and went for these and I have to say I'm well pleased with my choice.

Just to add I am a complete newbie to this exercise stuff so there may be others that could have more knowledge about these.

Regards

Andy image

• Options

update :-

I got replacement shoes for the ones that lasted only 500 miles, these replacements had serious design faults and split around various seams at the toe box after minimal use. The next ones had similar issues and again had to be replaced. I have a 4th pair now. I haven't been using them for running - going down the minimalist shoe route - so I've done less then 100 miles running and mainly walk in them. Today I noticed the zig zag stitching on one of the red toe flashes is again coming apart. Suffice to say this will be my last pair - it's getting embarrassing. I've not had any issue like this with a pair of, say, Nikes that make no statement about their longevity. From my point of view been a very disappointing experience overall

• Options

looking at Flighty Zeus's post above the toe box seems to be the design fault. Tread on all shoes I had hardly wore at all, this is where the shoe is good. However all my problems have been either with the stitching around those red flashes or the mesh material in that area.

I also had a set of laces just that split down the middle. Good concept that's unfortunately not backed up by reality in my experience

• Options

well put it this way I had a pair of Nike Triax, did my marathon training in them of about 500 miles, ran a marathon and the uppers are in a better state then the first pair of PT1000's I had which reached about 520 miles before becoming totally unwearable. I still have the Nikes and they are intact, no splits or tears. So the mileage is similar, I did do 2 weeks of trekking in the foothills of the Pyrenees (maybe 40 miles) in the PT1000s but  they were subjected to only half marathon training. My Nikes did all my LSR's of my marathon training. To me that seems like similar usage. 

As to why it didn't happen to one pair...luck of the draw? In my experience 1 pair performed ok but still only managed 50% of the expected performance. The 3 pairs I have had since then have been for want of a better word rubbish. This must surely be due to manufacuring issues. Perhaps look for a new factory in China, eh image

• Options

all gone very, very quiet