Options

Ipods - Advice wanted

2»

Comments

• Options

I ran for years with an old 20GB iPod, it was the kind that had a hard disk drive, and I have never had any problems. I expected it to crash, but nope. Bloody marvelous. I now run with a 32GB iPod Touch and it is fantastic. I keep it in my trouser pocket. What has caused me grief is the headphones. The supplied ones are poor. I've used loads of sports headphones and they are crap. Here's some I tried:

Sennheiser PMX80: very painful.

Sennheiser OMX 80 Sport II: The ear fills with sweat, and the sound is iffy. They do not stay in properly either. The cable is annoying too.

I think the people who design so-called sports headphones live on another planet.  Sports means "not suitable for sports".The best  I've used is the original Sennheiser PX100. I'm sure there are good ones from other brands, but be careful as running is demanding. 

Anyway, I am sure a small  iPod Nano or another brand would be good too. I find that music helps my running, it sets a pace, and relaxes me. But others may disagree. Regarding sweat, just keep it away from sweat and you'll be fine. I can see that sweat could get inside and corrode the insides. I don't think iPods are sealed, and rain could cause damage too. I've never had problems with mine in a trouser pocket, but I don't run in heavy weather, just drizzle, and spray/mud from puddles.

• Options

I use an Ipod Touch (3rd Gen) with Nike+. I like the Nike+ app for tracking runs and the ability to get vocal updates on speed, distance, time etc. I can also upload my runs to the Nike+ website straight from the device. I like listening to music or podcasts on long runs but would not use it in races.

The two problems I have had with the Ipod and NIke+ when running are;

a) accuracy of measurement. They tend to over estimate speed and distance unless they have been calibtrated properly. Calibarating propelry is not that staightforward unless you know the exact distance of a run. Also the sensor will react differently in different shoes. Basically, not nearly as accurate as a GPS.

b) The sensor has cut out during certain long runs which means you have to re-start the measurement. This is very annoying as it will record as two (or more) separate runs, rather than one long one.

I have now (finally) succumbed to a GPS watch with reluctance because of b) above, but still run with the Ipod for the music and verbal upadates - now that it is calibrated properly!

• Options
    That's awful, really upsetting.
  • Options
    ipod great, but the headphones which come with are crap and will fall out while you're running, get some made for running with over ear clips, or if you're seriously into music ( it's my job) get IEM's ( in ear monitors, ultimate ears are a good bet)
  • Options
    I found that in ear headphones did not work as sweat built up in the ear, and the result was not nice. Also there was a lot of cable noise from the ones I tried i.e. cable knocking about sounded like thunder.
  • Options
    For them to work properly you need to spend a bit of cash unfortunately, ultimate ears triple fi at least, depends how into your music you are, as they're not cheap...
  • Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

I don't run with an iPod but surely it's a case of each to their own when it comes to training? I certainly see the point of not wearing one in races as those are the rules and regulations. But preaching to others while they are training as to whether it's right or not to wear one? On that basis, I am with iamjellybelly on this one! If it's something which can be used to help keep the motivation going, then why should people have to justify wearing one? For me personally, I think variety is important...for me this could be running on my own, at my club or on the treadmill - and at various times of the day. So an iPod is just another option in spicing things up. People have their own preferences. I note the terrible story that is linked on here of course I do but as long as you are careful when using one then again, it's personal choice. There are no rules out there (like a highway code type manual) to say you should or shouldn't. I just think sometimes some runners are so into their own thing which they may have been doing for years that they preach and in that way you get more narrow minded and opinionated as a result. And then that can sometimes come across on forums like this. I personally have rarely used an iPod when running but am seriously thinking about getting a new one for the summer just to spice things up. I hope I won't be frowned upon for this or made to feel the need to overjustify why.............

• Options

I don't know how stringent race bans are, but I imagine it's for your own good and also common sense. 10,000 people all running along unable to hear directions from marshals and/or people coming up behind them would just be a nightmare. For those who feel they have to run to music, either turn it down low enough to hear the outside world, or only wear one earphone.

I wear my iPod during most races and have no idea if I'm breaking a rule. I always hit pause when approaching water stations/checkpoints/road crossings so I can hear the marshals and I think it would be extreme bad manners to do otherwise.

Until I read here that it wasn't allowed I was planning on running Edinburgh with mine. I'll probably take it along anyway and wait for someone to tell me I can't wear it rather than leave it at home.

• Options
    Hi I got an ipod shuffle (just the little £40 ish) one and I run with it all the time. It just clips on to my waist band and (fingers crossed) I haven't had any problems with it. I know some races have problems with people using MP3s for safety reasons. I am doing the Great North Run in September but I have been told that there is a fair bit of music by bands along the way so mayne that will be the case for the Edinburgh marathon? I must  admit I do like the music on a run. I get bored with my own company!!!image
  • Options

This seems like just the thread I need since I would like to get an ipod and need advice!

I don't want to listen to music when I run but I want to know my speed when I run, I'd like to know this as I run ideally. Also I'd like to download these newfangled podcasts. And I'd like to be able to plug it into the interweb and not have to plot my run on 'mapmyrun' (which sometimes takes just as long as the run itself).

I asked in apple store and they said I could get a new smaller ipod touch (nano?) and I wouldn't need a nike+chip. Sounds great but no-one in the shop knew if you could see/hear your speed. It maps the time and distance so I guess it must know your speed? They told me to ask in Nike store, who said 'no idea, ask apple'. Helpful.

I don't want to spend a lot, £100-200, and I don't want to have to wear nike shoes. I want to know how fast I am going, and I want to be able to upload the data to my computer. I'd like to hear podcasts too.

Is there such a device in the world????

Yours in hope,

Charley

• Options

Yes, it's called a Garmin wristwatch.

• Options

Charley- I think the nearest thing to your needs is the ipod nano 6th gen, but not the brand new one that came out in the last couple of weeks.

The 6th gen is about 1" square and has a clip to fasten to the top of your shorts. It has a built in accelorometer which works as a pedometer (that's why its best at the top of your shorts).

The reason I specify the 6th gen model is that older versions need the footpod and the brand new model is larger and has no clip. There are plenty of 6th gen ones around and with the new one now being out, prices should be dropping.

The installed nike+ software can be used to record your run and you can either set a run time or distance (KM is better as it will let you know your time for each KM, but not if you select miles). Once you have finished your run you can download the data to the Nike+ website via itunes and get lots of information on the run.

This is not a SatNav it's a sophisticated pedometer and as such is not as accurate on distance covered as it depends upon a consistent stride length, which is unlikely on hills or trails. Ideally find a measured kilometre and once you have completed the distance you can calibrate the unit. When I compared the distance to a proper GPS I found that what it was recording as 5km was actually about 4.85km (Bit of a blow as this meant I was not as fast as I thought). However this was more accurate than trying to use mapmyrun.

To know the times and countdowns it gives you you would of course need to use it with headphones. It fades the music to give you your splits. If you install itunes on your computer there are stacks of podcasts that can be setup to automatically download every time a new one comes out and you can then sync them to your ipod. It is actually quite simple. The 8GB model is probably fine and you can get them for about £110. I would also factor in some sport headphones as the supplied ones fall out of your ears easily when running. The Ipod is not waterproof but on your shorts with a waterproof covering it, it should be fine for light rain.

• Options
    Garmin won't play podcasts, but you can get a garmin watch and ipod shuffle well within your budget.

I have't used nike + but you should be able to google for answer

If you have a smartphone there are lots of apps for activity tracking
  • Options

Thanks Mxb16, Goji and Half runner half biscuit, great advice!

Great to hear from another HMHB fan as well. Was listening to the Peel Sessions just the other day.

Thanks again,

Charley

• Options

Charley - A man of impeccable taste. Does this mean you are a runner with restless legs. Just as long as your'e not on the roids.