February weight loss team challange

This thread is for those trying to loose weight, more specifically, its aimed at providing a kick start for those (like me) who's new year weight loss plans havnt quite materialised.

Rather than the usual list of weights and targets, I had an idea last night to make it a team challenge along similar lines to the RWUK vs RWUSA January running challenge, except that it'd just be two teams made up from those who wished to participate.  The aim being that those in each team would working together, encourage each other, but most importantly the team spirit and wish to out do the other team will spur us all on.  

The rules:

1)  Participants must register for the challenge by midnight 31st January by adding their name to the list below).
2)  Participants must weigh in 31st January and update their start weight (in lbs)
3)  I* will divide the participants into two teams with an equal combined weight.
4)  The participants work their socks off to loose as much weight as they can during February.
5)  Each participant weighs in 15th February and 1st March, then and updates the thread with their mid challenge and end of challenge weights.
6)  At mid (15th Feb) & end (1st March) of the challenge I* add up the weights of the teams and announce the interim lead and winning team. Hopefully we can get a dozen or so people interested, hopefully the challenge will spur us on to kick start our weight losses, perhaps 8, 10, 14lb individual losses.

Remember – If you join the challenge you are committing to working hard to support the team you are put in, hopefully the incentive not to bucker or take the challenge half heartedly will reap dividends for you all.

February Weight Loss Challenge Participants
:

Barley 

Comments

• I'm interested in this but would like to clarify a couple of things. Is it total weight loss that counts, total percentage of body weight lost or what?.

What I'm saying is that someone who is 50lb overweight can make a super effort and might be able to contribute 10lbs to the team weight loss in the month, but someone who is 10lb over weight might make an equal effort and only lose 2lb. Do you see what I'm saying? I have about a stone to lose and I'm unlikely to lose it all in February but I love the idea of have the group support so count me in.

February Weight Loss Challenge Participants:

Barley 
    Orca

• What does 'Let's get Devo' mean?

Whip it good?

• Great idea Barley.  I find just plonking my weight on a list a bit demoralising, but work much better if I have a 'reason' and this will be good.  Will spur me on to know i'm doing it for the team, not just for myself!  I've got stack loads to lose, and was hoping to lose about 8lbs in a month...

February Weight Loss Challenge Participants:

Barley 
    Orca
    Lee the Pea

• I need something like this to focus my mind.  Count me in Barley

Barley 
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap

• oh brill soemthing to motivate me image

Barley 
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple

• Hell I'm doing the RWUK v RWUSA run thingy so I might as well do this - there will be a slim me in Germany.

Barley

Orca

Lee the Pea

Happychap

• I will give it a go.
  • hello pirates, i'm a newbie, i've been lurking for a little while as i will be racing at regensberg this year. And you guys sound like a lovely bunch. This is just the thing to entice me out from the darkness.... 

I've got about a stone and a bit to spare i reckon to get ready for the bigun and so far in january I'm super dissapointed to have lost only 2 pounds - despite upping the training lots and not eating chocolate and crisps or drinking beer.

Bring it on!

Barley 
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple

Tired Legs

Steady CJ

Klepto (cant make it not double spaced lines!)

• Count me in too.

Barley 
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple

Tired Legs

Steady CJ

Jeepers

• Ok - I guess its time to lose the hibernation stores!
    Don't want to get tooo competitive and crash diet but am trying to lose a couple of lbs a week so count me in I guess!

Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    hmmm, I signed up for the USA/UK challenge and have run fewer miles this month than I have for a few years

if I sign up for this I might put weight on and that would be no good image
  • Great response so far image

Orca, I agree, that did cross my mind but I wanted to keep it simple, also the reason ill group people into teams so that the teams have the same total combined weight.  Hopefully it will be obvious from the relative weights of the participants that someone like me 14st 8lb will find it easier to loose 7lb than the likes of Debbo.  I think we will incude a percentage as per your suggestion to give added clarification, and remove the potential for people making excuses image

Kleptomania, good to see youre coming to Regensburg, make sure you put your name on the Regensburg entrants list if you havnt already done so, we'll look forward to seeing you there.  Also if you wish there will be another pirate kit order taking place in Feb, put your name on the list if you want kit.
  • Parklife wrote (see)

What does 'Let's get Devo' mean?

Whip it good?

Its all about getting in touch with your Devo side image
  • I'm in. Slightly over a stone to lose, and already been dieting for a few months, so don't expect any "Biggest Loser" calibre losses. I'd be delighted with losing half a stone in February, tbh.
  • F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

I need to lose half a stone.

Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
    Fogggy
    Yersinia

• I really struggle to lose weight, despite doing lots of exercise and eating hardly anything my body holds on to the excess lbs for grim death!!

I'll give this a go though.  I signed up for the East vs West challenge and it did help me to do the odd extra mile (not a lot of miles going by a lot of the people on there, quite embarassed by my mileage actually image)

If I lose 4- 5lbs this month I'll be happy (and amazed!) so keep that in mind when you decide the teams!!!!

Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
    Fogggy
    Yersinia

GG

Will someone please remind me how to take the space out when you do a return? Ta muchly...

• Hold the shift down when you press return. image

Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
    Fogggy
    Yersinia
    GG

• Lets see...
    It works!
    Yay!!

Thank you...

• Happy to join in - but please be advised I use science and will power not hope and cake.

I have carefully lost 14lb since the 4th January. Dietary intake is typically above RMR to maintain metabolic rate. Daily loss is typically in excess of 1000 kcal and as we allknow a llb of fat is equal to a 3500 calorie deficit. If anyone wants to do this properly I am happy to share my knowledge. However it does incolve calorie tracking (via a free website). So speak up if you want to use science.

Meface.

Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
    Fogggy
    Yersinia
    GG
    Meface

• Which website do you use meface?
  • I use  FoodFocus  ,I am sure there others and they may even be better but I have used this on and off for a few years. It does what I want it to do. I find the foods I have eaten, I enter them, it records the calories. It lets you track the calories, weight and exercise. It calculates RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) and lets you view the results in graph form.

I tend to use exercise figures from the Garmin rather than FoodFocus as it seems to over reward some of them - especially quick cycling.

I then stick the calories and exercise in Excel (happy to share the spreadsheet) and do my own calculations for RMR (so I can tweak them). It appears I have a high metabolic rate - so to put on weight I must eat loads!

Every time you build up a 3,500 kcal deficit you should have lost a lb of fat. This means if you have a deficit of 3,500kcal and haven't lost weight there are a limited number of reasons:

• you are lying
    • you have a lower activity level than entered
    • you have a low metabolic rate (long term you could tweak the formulae) 
    • hydration

I am also a firm beleiver in getting weighed every morning.

The argument for not getting weighed every day is that your weight can vary,  therefore only get weighed once a week. WTF! what if you varied -1lb one day and +1lb one day a week later. You may have lost 2 lb but think you have lost none.

Get weighed every day and plot the weight, use the trend line not the specifc daily value. This avoids the issue that your weight may vary from day-to-day (or as part of a near monthly cycle if you are a girl) *blushes"

Remember if calories burnt exceed what you eat then you lose weight - it is as simple as that.

It doesn't matter what you eat, when you eat, how you eat - the above rule applies. However some food types improve metabolic rate, eating times can improve metabolic rate, etc. This may make the above rule easier to obey.

Meface

Serial dieter (I lose weight in Jan, Feb, Mar I put on weight in August, September BBQs and Christmas)

• Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
    Fogggy
    Yersinia
    GG
    Meface
    Madlot

I'm in, got plenty to lose image
  •  meface wrote (see)

We allknow a llb of fat is equal to a 3500 calorie deficit.

I used to have an artcle by Lyle McDonald that went into detail about fat/muscle loss with calorie deficits. I can't find it now but here's another link. Not sure how accurate all the detail is but some of the points are the same.  http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2007/09/3500_calories_to_lose_a_pound.php

I need to lose some lard before IMR but now use a tape measure instead of the scales. 

• Barley
    Orca
    Lee the Pea
    Happychap
    Purple
    Tired Legs
    Steady CJ
    Klepto
    Jeepers
    M-bear
    Fogggy
    Yersinia
    GG
    Meface
    Madlot
    Pugsley

I'm well up for this - signed up for UK vs USA then got sick.  Surely I can lose weight even in a sick bed!

• I use Training Peaks to track food. Like meface's FoodFocus it tends to over estimate the calories burnt in activities but I usually do Ok when I track it. Fell off the wagon in a big way this week so will welcome the motivation that being part of a team will bring.
  •  So far we have :-

Barley
    Fogggy
    GG
    Happychap
    Jeepers
    Klepto
    Lee the Pea
    Madlot
    M-bear
    Meface
    Orca
    Pugsley
    Purple
    Steady CJ
    Tired Legs
    Yersinia

Couldn't resist putting names in order

• I would join in Barley but I have already lost 15 lbs since Christmas and so only have half a stone to lose and I'm weekly weighing........

will follow with interest.............

I gave in and went back to weightwatchers.................I annoy myself that I know what to do but always seem to give up on my own............I need those independent scales to  assess me..............

I did manage to lose 4 lbs myself after christmas on my own before signing up for a class

• image imageimage  

Grrrr!  That's my job!

• And M-Bear should come before Madlot if the list was in alphabetical order.

So ner ner ner ner ner!

• Thank you list fairy, I knew you would get it right, at this time in the morning having only had one cup of tea, it was hard work. Please take over.