Talocalcaneal coalition

Hi all,

I've just been diagnosed with a Talocalcaneal coalition in my right foot.

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/tarsal-coalition

I started running about 2 years ago to keep fit, and for the annual Bupa 10km. I had what I thought was a weak ankle, but it got progressively more painful while running, with stiffness post run and sporadic pain generally.

It's taken 10 months to get the diagnosis, but the fact is that there is not much that can be done and the recommendation from the consultant is to find another low impact sport.

I've never been a hardcore runner, but I have enjoyed doing it once a week in winter and up to three times a week in summer before the 10km.

I wondered if anyone else has this condition and still manages to run? The advice has been based on the fact that other joints in my foot have more movement than they should, and this is because they are overcompansating. By the sounds of it there's too much wear and tear on my foot.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated - feeling a bit gutted about the whole thing image

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Louise,

I've got that condition too, and had exactly the same symptoms. It took a long time to diagnose mine as well so I'd assume it's pretty rare. I completely understand your frustration because I'd recently (a couple of years ago) started running too and then discovered it was actually quite enjoyable! It's not nice to then have it taken away image

I'm having surgery on my right foot next week, and will have the left foot done once that's recovered. I believe it's a 'fusion' operation. When I asked him, the doctor said there's a 'fair chance' that I'll then be able to run again without pain. Do you know if that's a route you could go down? It does mean a couple of months of not being able to weight-bear on the ankle in question, but will hopefully be worth it.

I've tried to run recently, but just can't do it. I can walk the dog but anything more than 25 minutes gets very painful. 

Feel free to send a  private message if you want to chat about it.

George.

• Hi ive recentley be diagnosed with tarsal coalition in both feet, i was wondering how you both where doing now?

Will

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Akshayv, you'll be telling us Orthofeet is a cure for cancer next.