Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Anyone any details on this one? The event's website doesn't appear to have been updated yet with details, so there's no entry form available yet, apart from the RW facility which costs another £3. Paul

Comments

• Take a look at the Forum for the 2010 event, which was the first time it was run.  Was well organised and a good day out on a fairly tough course.

• I was thinking about this one for my first Marathon.......  Any advice from anyone that has done it???  Thanks
  • Did this last year and thought it was a very easy course.... pretty flat for a trail run! Not the most inspiring course but the I'm used to endurancelife coastal trail runs.... tough but beautiful!

Ran this dressed as Father Christmas.... as I said... you don't get many trail marathons that are flat so I would definitely recommend this for a first marathon!

• Glad you would recommend it as I went ahead and registered!!  Thanks!

• Likewise! Just entered it in the last few minutes. Couldn't be doing with cheques and SAE, so went for immediacy via RW, as it's so much simpler. That makes three so far for 2011.
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Well I am really tempted by this. Just ran Prague marathon and had said just the one this year but after only a week resting I'm getting an itch. This fits in with work plus it's not too far away........
  • Yes, just one more marathon won't hurt. It's waffer thin!
  • it's fun, nice people and it's flat image
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Well I didn't take much convincing, signed up today image. Aim is sub 3:15 to use as GFA.
  • I entered this one last year but had to pull out, so looking forward to putting things right this year so entered a while ago. Will make a nice run a week before Christmas.
  • I ran it last year and got a PB ! it was a really well organised event  and a nice flat course to end the year , but the beach and muddy path make it interesting and if the wind is blowing it could be really good fun image Will defo be back this year

• Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    I also did the last year and did a pb .. in perfect running conditions!  Will be back this year too!
  • Anyone know the last runners time last year?

I see the 5 1/2 limit on the race

• H M M: it is funny you should mention that, because I looked on the web site to find last years results but could not find any. Maybe they did not list any results, but will this year when they bring in the chip timing.

So is hard to find any results, including the last person's. Maybe someone who was there will be able to answer this for you.

• There are results on www.Southernrunningguide.com there were a number of runners coming in after 5hours and even a few after the 5.30 time limited!
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Time limits are usually there to disuade those who think they can walk around the course in 7 hours.  Most races don't rigourously enforce the cut off unless the runner looks to be really suffering or the weather turns so bad that there is a significant risk of hypothermia.

Interesting to hear that the race was well organised.  That's not the view of the local council who were told that it was completly off road and only open for 100 runners.  They were a bit surprised to find significantly more runners on the roads without council permission - potentially putting runners and drivers at risk.  Got that bit of information from someone who works in the council event department, although I might be getting confused with the half marathon which is run by the same people.

• Jenny Astall: thanks for that. As you say the results from last year are on there.
  • I've entered this one....as its just down the road.... it will be my 5 marathon for 2011 so hoping its a nice easy one to finish off the year with!
  • Super Caz: Ran this last year and it went like clock work, might be the Half that was in dis-array image.

Have persuaded my running partner to do this one, so will be running with him, nice to see a few people who did it last year returning.

• I've never done a marathon... and am thinking of this one as my first. 20 weeks to get up to speed .... and distance. ;-D
    Besides, if I did this, it would mean I could drop in on my brother with his xmas pressies ;-D
  • L Y D L T: go on, you know you want to do itimage.
  • Probably going to do Luton instead... Almost completed the first week of the First marathon training program. Did nine miles this morning... Longest I've run in ages... And loved it... It's been a while since my legs have axhed like this imageimage
  • WexterWexter ✭✭✭
    Entered this one, ran my first marathon Edinburgh in May in just under 4 hours, but only run up to about 9 miles since then so will start a training program in the next couple of weeks.
  • Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    morning all. I'm in along with 8 so far from my running club, Ampthill and Flitwick Flyers. One person mentioned it earlier this week and mailed the marathoners in the club and we all just entered straight away!
    Normally do Luton in December as I live near, but they have moved it to November. All that food and booze at Christmas means I have to have a race to do in December!
    Course looks very flat. i did a 101 mile marathon in May with 18000 feet of climbing, so 148 feet looks downhill to me!
    The big one slowed me down, so have entered Abingdon as a tune up race with PB attempt at Luton and this one now as a back up attempt.
    Will stay over Sunday night for a nightout. Anyone recommend where to go in Portsmouth on a Sunday night?
  • I've decided on this one over Luton this year - travelled over 300 miles, paid £200 for 3 nights in a hotel just to find out on the Sat morning that they had cancelled the Luton mara due to ice and snow.  We were actually in Luton and it was pretty clear - sunny even.  Sorry didnt realise I was still a bit peeved about that - rant over!!
  • Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭

Morning Reddballons - I can imagine how peeved you must have been. I was ok as only 15 miles from where I live but I was gutted for everyone else who had to travel, paid for hotels etc.  I could see on the saturday that it was going to be fine to run. They also cancelled it three years ago, following a car turning over - but I ran most of it anyway and by time I got there on first lap it was gone. Still, they have to think about safety and there will always be slower peeps out there and if its dark and icy, have to consider that as well.

Boots on the other foot here. Hope they dont cancel this one as even later and colder. Booked into a hotel now anyway, so will have a weekend in Portsmouth come what may! 

• Thanks Taff Boy (I assume you are Welsh - live on Anglesey myself) I know all the reasons were good that they had to cancel but you know some of us just like grumbling.

Yes hopefully we dont have a repeat of last years weather, still to find a hotel must get on to it this week before they all fill up.

• Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭

I am but in exile!  Have been to Anglesey a few times. Lovely place.

If you want a hotel, there are two Premier Inns, one of which looks like its close to the historic docks and the other cheaper one about 5 miles away. I got a family room for 4, for two nights in the furthest away one for £58 and my mates in the closer one for £90 same days. We are gogoing to stay over on the Sunday. One night only on the Saturday is £29, so book up quick.