Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Wow thats good, thanks for that.  The only ones I have seen are minimum £120 for 2 nights - must try the Premier Inn - I forget about them - usually look for Travelodge but find them a bit disappointing.
  • Hi everyone, I've just registered for this event.  It's my first marathon but I regularly run 10k+ distances so hopefully I will be able to cope with a bit of extra training.  However I am not used to running offroad, just how rough is the route, should I be worried?

• I ran this last year, and the route is ok, nothing to be worried about
  • I am thinking of doing this but am also worried about how difficult it is compared to a road marathon.

I have only ran London once so how do the two runs compare?

Thanks 

• Oxon, This one has little tarmac, it is out and back, very friendly and FLAT. nothing to worry about

• Thanks Tiptoes but I meant in terms of effort speed etc.

When I did my first/only Marathon I used the sub 3:30 training plan found on this site and did manage 3:25 so the pacing was what I expected.   I have ran off road before and realise that it tends to be slower.  So if I trained for 3:30 or 3:45 (road) what sort of time should I plan or expect to run?

Cheers

• Oxon I havent done this one before, but i do find a fairly offroad marathon takes me up to half hr more than a road one.  I would have thought you would still follow a sub 3:30 plan but maybe change the terrain you train on a bit.

Taffboy - i'm booked into the £58 for 2 nights Premier Inn - seemed like a brilliant deal. 

• Oxon also, the route is narrow in places, so single file.
  • Although it's narrow in places a number of people got PBs last year as it's pancake flat, pavement, cycle trail  or pretty runnable path with, if I recall correctly, two short stretches of shingle . As long as you're prepared for the shingle and the wind doesn't pick up as it's very exposed you shouldn't  bee too much slower than a road run.
  • I'm excited! its a local for me. Take a look at Fareham Travel lodges/premier inns. £39 for the night of 17th at the premier inn in fareham and its right on the junction to travel to Portsmouth via the motorway. Happy to have a tent in my back garden too if you're desperate and don't mind lurchers image
  • Hi All, bit of advice please. Am doing Abo hopefully around 3.30, with aim of training up to and past to allow a 3.15 or less attempt at Luton 4 weeks later. However, Luton isnt flat and the inclines around 21 miles get steeper on the third lap. So, am considering dropping that as PB attempt and train hard right through to Portsmouth, to try to go even faster.
    I know this is flat, but what's the terrain like and is it a fast course? Done 30 plus off road marathons and the narrow trails, soft ground, uneven camber, stiles etc all normally add up to slower times. Don't like road runs that much, but the harder ground is more conducive to faster running. Any thoughts anyone?
    Am dropping down from big ultra runs and trying a bit of speed for once. I'm not all about PB's but once in a while, have to give it a go and need to now, before I get even older!
  • Taff...from what I can tell its flat flat flat, but includes some beach running and of course, as with the last section of the Great South Run...if its windy you will lose time.

• Dina - thank you. I don't like the sound of beach running when pb's are in mind. I had been worried about the wind, having done a few coastal marathons in my time as well. Ta for the details. All bets back on Luton then!
  • Hi Taff Boy: Having run this last year, it is possible to PB on this course (I did), the beach section is only 2-300metres at most, there is a switch back up onto the main road that you do twice and one kissing gate to negotiate, the rest is flat and I had no issue not being able to run as I wanted (ie no issue with congestion). As Dina has rightly said though, coastal marathons do tend to be windy, we were lucky last year. Looking forward to it, and with Chip timing this year, so will know exactly how slow i am down to the hundredth.

Happy Running
  • I'm getting excited! As others have said its flat as flat can be and in some places I have never seen such flat, clear tarmac. The beach sections are short and only shingle which wasn't too difficult to run over. last year I envisioned pebbles but it was so much easier than I had thought it would be and I was only 5 mins off my PB and that was more with me being tired in the last couple of miles than the course.
  • Planning to go down with my parents and daughter , coming from London so will possibly book accomodation the night before. What are the water stations like for this race, ran my first marathon in May and used energy gels then.
  • Thanks all. Cant get better advice than from those who have done it. Have decided to train hard for Luton and see how I get on. If its clear I'm not going to make it, plan B is to drop off the pace and finish comfortably. Ta
  • Am trying to decide between this and the Gatliff marathon - an LDWA ultra in Kent - as I would like to do another marathon this year after Beachy and I love trail events - albeit they are usually of the hilly variety across the South Downs.

As it's so flat, I wonder why people who did it last year describe it as tough - is this because there are no steep hills that are quicker to walk up or because it's an out-and-back route - that I am not keen on? 

• @ Wexter - the water stations are frequent and last year they supplied energy gels at them. I think they were High 5 gels, but my memory is a tad fuzzy!

SDman - I guess it's the out-and-back that some people find draining. Personally I thought it worked well. I only found it tough because I wasn't fit enough!
  • helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

I like my trails and hills and find road marathons hard work but got a PB last year so obviously suited me.

People may have found the shingle tough as unexpected but as Mr. I says, the sections are very short. The wind will probably be the deciding factor.

Hi Limper - one of these days I will meet you in the flesh. I think they were SIS gels but memory also fuzzy.

• Helly, so do I, which is why the only road marathon I run is London. However paradoxically I find what makes trail marathons easier are the steep hills that are a reason to walk and break up the constant running you do on the road, but this one hasn't got any apparently....
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    The hilliest bit on this is an occasional kerb and the drop down onto the beach!

Hi Helly << waves >>
  • Just entered the race.  I am in need of a flat route for a change which should help me run a quicker race for once.

See you all there

• Helly /Limper

They were SIS Gels.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Thank heavens for Tiptoes and his intact memory.
  • Only remember as I as carrying the same brand, and gave a few to other nutters on route.
  • Very tempted to do this one too. Will be nice to do a flat one after Sunday's event on the Isle of Wight!
  • Pippy HPippy H ✭✭✭
    I'm in too! Haven't run a marathon since Paris in 2005 and entered this on a bit of a whim..... hope it's lovely and fresh. Can't cope with warm summer running!
  • Does anyone know what the parking is like around the Clarence Esplanade, as that'll determine whether I drive up on the morning or stop overnight?