Options

Portsmouth Coastal Waterside Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Plenty of parking around Paul, there is a pay and display car park at the pyramids centre which is race HQ which should have space - failing that there is parking all the way up the sea front in both directions - you'll be able to park 10 times over if you wanted to!!
  • Options
    Is that parking also pay and display?
  • Options

i believe so, but the residential roads set back from the pyramids centre a free i believe, although that may be 3 hours only so you'd have to run quick image

• Options
    Thanks Mr Z. I'd best bring lots of change with me in case I end up with a PW on the day.
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I think the parking at the Pyramids is one of those where you phone an automated thingy and it registers that your car is parked and you've paid for a certain amount of time. I think it's one of those anyway, so bring your mobile with you to make the call. I think the ones along the seafront are P&D machines.
    I could be totally wrong though!
  • Options
    Pay and Display sounds safer to me, relying on coins rather than taking a chance on having to call 08 or 09 phone numbers from a mobile.
  • Options
    Road shoes ok?
  • Options
    yes, road shoes perfect - there's a small section on shingle, and some paths but they're firm - majority of run on tarmac
  • Options
    Hi Fido, good to see another C veteran at last, see you there.
  • Options
    Dunno Douglas, OH reminded me it's my club's xmas pud hm that day so am torn!
  • Options

Thanks for the parking info. no need to ask now.......image

• Options
    Excited! This will be my 4th marathon this year including marlborough 33 ultra. Can't believe I used to think marathons were for complete nutters!
  • Options
    It'll be my third this year, but I STILL think we're all nutters.
  • Options
    just signed up for this as the start of my 12 maras in 12 months, not looking to run a PB just a nice start to a long 12 months ahead!
  • Options
    Hi All. Think this will be 11 for me this year, but not sure. They include a 27, 40, 40, 52 and 102 mile races, but only 2 since July. Have cut back to try to run faster. Had a mare at Abo two weeks ago. Started the race with a cold, ran too fast at start, heart stated beating really fast at 17 miles and dropped from around a 3.20 pace at that point to a 3.52 finish at a hobble. Should not have started in the first place, but the lure of a race was too much for me. Learnt my lesson though. Luton now defo a training run and this race is it for me. Hope the wind stays away. All my other coastal runs it hasn't , but a boy can dream!
    Sue, which ones are you in? I did 6 this year in 8 weeks, including the above and then the 104 three weeks later. Your body adapts and it will get easier.
  • Options

Great to read all these comments. This is my local race (I live 1/4 of a mile from the route) and the first time I will have run it (only 1 marathon so far, London, and I'm a plodder - did that in 5 hrs albeit with only a couple of months training after injury, and at least this time I won't be held up by people walking 4 abreast!).

As others have said, the terrain is very flat, and what I've run of it is a good surface. The only real worry (apart from the distance for novices like me!) is the potential for stiff wind,  and the occasional bout of horizontal rain.

Parking on the whole length of the seafront is all metered and I'm pretty sure gives the option for pay and display or phone based payment at each meter (our council needs the cash, and as these meters don't give change they aren't going to want to miss the chance of any extra money!!). You can, however, park  freely just off it along Eastern Parade, although spacesdo fill up. As others have said, there's also parking in residential streets, mainly towards the Eastney end of the seafront. Some of these might be subject to residents parking zones, but I think most are fine. 

If you're staying overnight in advance, tripadvisor seems pretty accurate as a guide to local restaurants.

Doing the GSR tomorrow as a tempo run - looking forward to Dec 18th with a mixture of excitement and trepidation!

• Options
    I'm in too. Third marathon of 2011 (and last). I thought there was a limit of 500 for the race ... seems now the field has expanded somewhat!
  • Options

I need to think about this one - having a weekend break on the coast (probably Lymington) 16th-18th. Will Mrs Chillies mind a small detour to Pompey on the way home???

Are ther still places available?

by the way, Taff Boy - I was at Abo - I had a great run, unlike 2010 when like you I ran it with a stinking cold and ended up with 3:44:24 and another month of protracted illness.

• Options

I just entered late... Online entries closed, but postal still open. Til when i know not tho...

Just had a poorly paced marathon last Sunday, so looking to pace a better one this time round image

• Options
    RL3 also thought the limit was 500, looks like 850 last count.
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Maybe 849 Tipster.
  • Options
    Hi Chillies, interesting to hear you were ill for so long after. I went into Abo with a cold which I thought was on the way out, but hit me hard and then got worse for the next 2-3 weeks. I am only just starting to feel back in the swing of things. Do you think the running caused yours to hang around so long?
  • Options

I'm not sure Taff - I got the cold just before running the Spitfire 20 mile race (which was very wet and cold), and ended up feeling like crap for 2 months. It may well have been just a horribly long-lived infection which would have carried on anyway.

The final straw was missing the Marlow Half that year because of a weekend of SERIOUS nosebleeds - I'll run through most things, but embarrassing uncontrolled bodily emissions have to be deferred to image

It took me another fortnight for my heart rates in running to get back to normal levels.

If I've got any advice it would be to keep running at an easy pace until you feel properly fit again.

• Options
    This is my first Marathon, I will be the fat one at the back as normal, only doing it as got a DNF @ Ironman Wales so need to get a 26.2 under my belt. I have talked 2 other mates into doing it, also thier first marathons.
  • Options
    I have talked my friend into doing it as her first marathon too drainman....I think she's aiming for 5 hrs
  • Options

am i right in thinking the start and finish is at the Pyramids Centre...? I'm still unsure whether to drive down (from south wales) on the morning, or stay over night...

It's about a 2 n half hr drive i think, which would mean a very early start...

• Options
    I'll be taking the 5.40 train from London SGB, which means about a 4.30am start for me!  I found some cheapish hotels in Portsmouth but i figured it wouldnt be much fun on my own!
  • Options
    I thought that too. Its reassuring that someone else will be having an even earlier start than me then image
  • Options
    Dina: Sound like there be a few of us bring up the rear so to speak, will be happy with 5hrs, Another friend is doing a marathon the day before so will be his second that weekend,

I alway stay in Travelodge or Premier inns when I travel to Triathlons, you may get a deal, better that early starts, sorry guys im over an hour away myself so cant put anyone up.

• Options
    It's listed as flat and mostly off-road - can I get away with road shoes, or are off roaders a must?