Smart Cars

With the ever increasing costs of running a car, I've been thinking of going for something a little more economical.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Smart Cars?

I've still got some payments left on my current car so won't be able to do anything for the time being but like to plan in advance. The thing is, I'm not really a small car kind of person (I used to own a 4X4 which I loved driving) but I'm starting to think do I really need anything bigger? I currently have a 1.6 hatchback and do about 20 miles a day. Smart Cars are pretty slow and pokey but I thinking, they'll fit in with what I need a car for.

Comments

• I've certainly considered one and have done a bit of research in a tech journo role. They are very cheap to run. They are well designed to make the most of the interior space. The ride is perfect for about town but you wouldn't want to take it on a long motorway journey. Though they have very high levels of safety features, the very laws of physics mean that if they are in a collision with with a bigger, heavier car (i.e. nearly everything else on the road) they will bear the brunt of the impact.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    mine is very smart.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I had a look on Parker's website, my current car is insurance group 12. Smart Cars are on average group 2! Also road tax wise I pay £155 for a year, the Smart Car I would be looking at were £0 - 30.

The safety aspect is obviously a big isse.

At the mo, most of my driving is around town, country roads for work and dual carriageway for leisure.

• Although the Smart is sturdy enough to remain reasonably intact after a crash, it would get seriously knocked about with you inside it - it'd be like sitting inside a cue ball during the break.

You can however, park it by pointing it in to the kerb, so it'll fit in to very small spaces that other cars can't use, leaving you with a sense of smug satisfaction that you can carry with you all day.
  • Fiat 500 but not the new 2 cylinder, only 38mpg.
  • I had a mate who had one - in a crash with her two young children in the back.  Both kids were killed and the car was basically crushed.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Oh, that is not good PO.

Fiat 500 are a little bit cooler, and probably safer too! One place I go to a lot has small parking spaces which is why I was initially thinking the Smart Car.

• There are many small diesel cars that return far better economy than a Smart, and they offer 4 seats and a boot.
  • I had a Smart ForFour - the 4 seater version. good car but I wouldn't say any more economical than many others of similar size.

take a peek at the VW Bluemotion engines - various models have it. I have a Golf Estate 1.6D version that returns 68mpg at best - and with 103g of CO2 costs £35pa road tax. any car with lower than 100g CO2 pays no car tax so look for vehicles with that rating - quite a few about.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

BOTF - I only ever have one passenger, the bf. I've owned the car almost 3 years and think I've had passengers in the back twice. And I never use the boot anyway which is why I was considering the Smart.

Looking into Bluemotion now.

• I have a fiat 500 and its ace, I get the whole family in (2 adults, 2 kids and a dog) my insurance has shrunk considerably and I will pay road tax of about £30 (or as it says on my current tax from the dealers £0). Its not the fastest thing 0-60 but once there will go quite happily, it also feels quite chunky and has decent thick wheels/tyres....

But Top Gear echo'd what Fat Buddha said that the VW bluemotion engines are v. good

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Just had a look at the Bluemotion. Like the idea but even for the Polo you're starting at £15k & I would definitely prefer the Golf which starts at £19k.

Will look into the Fiat next!

• sure - VWs aren't cheap but then neither is quality... image the upside is good residuals when you come to sell as Golfs are reckoned to be the 2nd hand car of choice for many. so factor in the residuals when you look around - Fiat aren't great and neither are some of the Far Eastern brands (Honda are good though).

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I know you get quality with a VW but I really want to cut back on my monthly finance. I'll look into second hand ones though.

Never been a fan of Japanese cars, no idea why though image

• My Mum has a Citroen C1 and it's ridiculously fuel efficient.  She does plenty of long journeys in it and it's got a decent amount of space.  I've travelled in the back and although you wouldn't want to be there for hours it's fine for a short journey.  She has the bottom of the range model which comes in a choice of two colours and has no frills or extras but only costs about £6-7k.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

strange that you start talking about a smart car yet it would have to be the Golf rather than the Polo?

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    M.ister W wrote (see)
    She has the bottom of the range model which comes in a choice of two colours

That line just killed it for me! I think thats the car I had a dream about the other day though.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)

strange that you start talking about a smart car yet it would have to be the Golf rather than the Polo?

It's not the size issue, but I've always said if I was going to do a VW then it would have to be a Golf.
  • If you pay a bit more you can get them in other colours and with bells and whistles... but she was happy with the basic model in red.

I've never been a fan of French cars, preferring German and Japanese for their reliability, but the C1 is pretty good.  The build quality is excellent, it's comfortable and my parents both say it drives really well.

• I used to have a smart car about 10 years ago (one of the first lhd) and I loved it.. We bought it because at the time it was cheap and cheerful but I did look at them again about 18 months ago but I think there are probably better value cars with better technology around for the money now. I used to drive it the 180 miles home to my parents  4 or 5 times a year and it was fine but can remember on windy days or when passing lorries it swayed about a bit! But ideal if you're rubbish at parking like meimage

• I have a peugeot 107 (essentially the same car as the citroen c1) and love it. Very cheap to run and has 4 doors so easy to get into the back and surprisingly roomy. Love it!
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

I had a smart 2 seater four two "something" can't remember the name, while a nice car, it wasn't as economical as i thought it would be (spending the same on petrol for work in my 1.4 polo as i did the.6 smart) and its just not durable enough, wouldn't take it on a motorway and not quick enough for my liking, also it was automatic and the gear changes were so jerky and lagged so much it was crazy.

Wouldn't get one again unless i lived in a city, didn't have to travel long distance or for business.

• I bought a little Mazda 2 - it's a 1.3 but goes like a bomb and is AWESOME on fuel. 

It is a bit more expensive than other cars of it's class, but it came standard with more than the VW does and for less (apples with apples).

I did look into the VW but opted for the Mazda 2 - can't tell you have much I love him  image

Munchie the Mazda 2

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

PO - My bf recently got rid of his Mazada 2, he quite enjoyed it too.

JW - Good point about the automatic bit. While wanting a car to be economical, I'd really like an auto (so lazy with the gears) but smaller cars don't make good automatics.

When it comes to diesel vs petrol, is diesel always the better option? If diesel is an extra 2/3p a litre, how much mileage do you need to be doing to make it worthwhile? Most my journeys are 10 -15 miles so I wouldn't be getting the benefits of diesel would I? Or does the longivity of diesel engines make it worth it on its own?

• tough call with diesel v petrol and mileage/longevity does need to be looked at to get a decent comparison, rather than just looking at pump prices. "generally" the most economical cars based on mpg are diesels but for your mileage, petrol sounds more sensible
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

You need to do a lot of miles to recoup the additional cost of a Diesel car, especially if you buy new. 

Automatics are also heavier on fuel, and crap in the snow.

SIL has a Ford Ka, and says she hardly ever goes to the petrol station, and has only had servicing costs in the 5 years she's had it (apart from the light and bumper she dinged coming out of the drive.....).  I've driven one, and the visibility is superb for parking, if a little disconcerting for open road driving - you do feel as it there's nothing around you.

I'll stick to my Mondeo.....

• Not a fan of Smart Cars - I was given one a few years ago as a courtesy car when my other car (Audi) was being serviced - I felt like I was driving with a target attached to my butt end. It was as noisy as feck (Though, it might have been this particular car and not a generic trait) and I felt every tiny bump in the road.

I was also pretty nervous in fast moving traffic and I normally ride high performance motorcycles.

I suppose they're okay for tootling around the doors and inner city driving but they're not for me.
  • @Nessie - re. diesel vs. petrol - I agree. The difference in cost now just about outweighs the difference in mileage.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I actually used to have a KA (the older style). It was ok for when I had it but definitely wouldn't have one now.

Corinthian - of course you can't go from an Audi to a Smart Car!