South Downs Marathon & 5K

14567810»

Comments

• it has  also taken the shine off a positive forum regarding a great event .....

• Sorry you feel that way, Kevin. 

Can I suggest if you want an entirely positive thread about the race, you start a new one?

• Oh, and incidentally - are you the same Kevin Smith as Kevin Smith 37?  Apologies if you're not, but multiple nicknames tend to confuse me...
  • Frobester , i wasnt aiming the 'moaner' tag at you i didnt want to get into a forum argument with anyone because that is what i really dislike about forums ... No matter what the subject ie running events or even daily news if you give people a space to debate they nearly always end in the negative . I know i am generalizing here , and it is not often that i read the running world forums but on the last two events i have run (SDM and Richmond Park) i was amazed at how negative other runners had been about the events . I read complaints about ' having to run on grass' etc .It just amazes me , i love running and i love running off road marathons , i do it for the fun and the challenge of the 26.2 miles . I do not expect a goody bag ,the medals just hang up on a door handle . The experience i share on the course is more than enough for me . When i read people complaining that they nearly missed the goody bag or a free milkshake as it wasnt handed to them directly at the finish .. it kind of turns the whole event into a trip to a theme park for me . Maybe in years to come marathons will all be about the t shirts and the goodybags and people will just skip the running bit inbetween ... you are right i guess forums are not for me and if i dont like what i read , i shouldnt read on  .

My memory of the finish on Sat will not be about free bees but much more about the conversation i had with a finsher that was lets say older than most of us , he had pinned a hanky on his cap , and fallen over at 10 miles and hurt his ribs , but he ws very happy to have finished and very much enjoyed his day... And he was wearing his salamon cotton t shirt the same as i was and probably for the same reason ,we had in our own way achived something ..

Happy running

• Kevin, I understand what you mean - I very rarely complain about anything in races - in fact much less write anything on the RW forum, being a Fetchie mostly.

You're right though, running is about so much more than the freebies, it's about the whole experience, the cameraderie, the being out and about in the open whatever the conditions, the shared effort, the new people you meet.

I just got a bee (albeit a very small one) in my bonnet about one of the freebies.  Yes, my posts on RW on this race are disproportionately about that, but if you look at my overall race review I think I give it in the 90s out of 100.

Anyway, I'll stop hogging the bandwith.  Let's continue discussing the experiences, positive and negative, but keep a sense of proportion!

All the best,

Simon

• TmapTmap ✭✭✭

Photos are up too - some really nice ones.

Not much chance of photo-shopping out those watermarks either - may actually have to buy them.  Reasonably priced too.

• GREAT MARATHON ,HERES TO NEXT YEAR................GO HOGGERS       image

• Fantastic weather, great event looking at the official results the relay team i was running in is listed as First relay team (Dacorum & Tring A.C.) is this correct, we thought there were some relay teams ahead of us.

We got no mention or prize on the day, have we missed out on something, only there is a bit of confusion at our club, suffice to say everyone had a great day regardless.

Any confirmation would be good. regards

• Stephen, if you email into Mike on info@209events.com i'm sure he'll check out the results and let you know........ just don't mention the t-shirts!!!! image
  • I'm having RTS check all the relay results as the ones we had on the day - and appear correct - have denmead Runners first, Silson Joggers second and Portsmouth Joggers third - they were clear leaders so not sure how results are subsequently missing them.
  • Hi Mike.  I asked a few pages back about the technical t-shirt promised by Salomon.  Would you be prepared to let us know what Salomon gave as a reason for the cotton t-shirts we got instead?  I'm assuming you've already met them and passed on our feedback?

Thanks.

• Hey frobester, did you get any response from this. I was just reminded while looking at a thread about Keilder. Salomon arent making any promises for that one...
  • I see the details say there will be Technical TShirt for all finishers!!
  • Hi Bob,

Sorry it has taken me so long to pick this up - we will have a tech t-shirt for all finishers in 2012 regardless of who sponsors it and even if we have to buy them ourselves.

• Mike

Unfortunately I ran the event in 2011 and didn't get the promised Tech T-shirt.

Unsurprisingly I will NOT be running the event in 2012.
  • I'm quite suprised by that Bob !...

I also ran the event in 2011, but loved the course, the scenary and the atmosphere. Despite being disappointed by the lack of the offered t-shirt, I'm signed up for this year. 

It's only a t-shirt... image

• Plenty of other Marathons on the Downs (see 'Three Forts' and 'Steyning Stinger') that are a lot cheaper & start & finish in the same place (time saver!), I was prepared to pay the higher price for a decent T-Shirt that I could run in, and show off my love of the Downs!

There were people running this Marathon in previous years T-Shirts and I remember thinking that I would have one also at the end!! All I got was a cheap cotton peice of advertising for a Trail shoe (I think).

It may be 'only a T-Shirt' but I paid extra for it in my entry fee!!
  • Oh, and I am planning to Three Forts & Steyning Stinger again this year!
  • Hi Bob,

I take all your points and accept that the t-shirt offered in 2011 was not to the standard we had expected and supplied to us in previous years. This was a sponsored item and was not in your entry fee.

Clearly there are other events and you are perfectly entiled to be annoyed and avoid our event in future - it is something we will have to contend with and correct in future but not something we can do anything about retrospectively.

• Doubtless I'll see you at one or both of those then Bob!, Im in for both too image
  • Steyning Stinger Marathon £20 (inc Free breakfast)
    Three Forts Marathon £20
    South Downs Marathon £33 (inc 'Free T-Shirt')
  • SDM entry fee is £30 for a club runner and includes:

• Bus transportation from the parking at the start in QE Country park to Slindon College
    • gels at the start and on the route,
    • electrolyte drink on the route
    • 8 drink stations with bottled water
    • donation to Slindon College for using their grounds for the start
    • Land owners fee to National Trust and farmers at change over 1 and 2 
    • Cost to hire the two BBQ fields at QE Country Park,
    • 3 ambulances, a 4x4 ambulance and 10 medical staff on the route and finish area
    • Toilets at start, finish and three change over points
    • Chip timing at start, finish and three change over points.

Comparison of entry fees is not a fair argument unless you are comparing like with like so please list the full services supplied by the other races.