South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Oh dear Darkman. I fear you are in for a little shock at the New Forest marathon regarding hills! They're not big, but there's definitely an 'undulating' feel to the course.

Remember - for every big uphill at SD mara there's a nice long downhill to compensate!

It's a very good value marathon. The tech shirts are excellent. Trophies?? What the heck are those?!

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

OK you lot I've decided .................

Darkman is comming to the party ............

Limper, I ran the New Forest Marathon last year so know the hills are no bigger then the slope on my drive compared with what I train on, my greatest pleasure is running up and down our own Beacon Hill ..... twice just for good measure.

As for trophies, came second for my age in a half marathon masters race last year if I'd just made more effort and come in 30 seconds earlier I'd of been first in the 'old git 50' age group. Was a bit gutted as they run a 10k as well and if I'd entered that I would of deffo been first 50+ as I can finish a 10k in under 40 mins and the first 50+ crossed the line in 42 mins.

Now where was that bottle of Pims ............ image

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Welcome Darkman - the SDM has its own Beacon Hill just before Harting but we run round it I'm glad to say.
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    But we do have to run up 'Cardiac Hill' and 'Tourettes Hill' and 'Just-let-me-die-now Hill'.
    imageimage
  • Hi Guys

a couple of q's if anyone can help

How frequent are the water stations or is this a camelbak run. (i checked the gallery and most people seem to be managing without? (obviously the weather will play a role).

is there a rough % you add on your road mara time for this race to work out wave expected starts. looks a cracking run, did the Henfield 30 last year over the downs and that was v good could be similar.

any help thanks.

Ian

• Another question: how are you all getting there? I've been looking at getting the train to Petersfield (closest station to the end from where you can get a bus to the start) but from where I live it will be impossible to get there in time for the last bus (8am as I understand it) as my earliest connecting trains don't get there until about 8:30.

If anyone can offer a lift from Epsom that would be great! I can offer a lift to just one person for the way back.
  • Hey all,

can anyone tell me about the hills? ie. short and steep/long and relentless..etc? 

Best,

Rob

• Short and steep as well as long an relentless.

I think that approx 6,000 ft up and 6,000 ft down tells its own story.

IIRC get yourself onto the goodrunguide and they may have a race profile on there!

There is a hill at about halfway that goes on for approx 1.5 miles (again IIRC). The course is really nice and scenic but is brutal!

3rd consecutive year for me.

• I really need to up my hill work! - thought my off road 20 miler last week was tough, but garmin confirmed on just over 1000ft up and down on the route that i did.  That was a bit of a wake up.
  • Sean G; could not find the profile on good run guide but found this useful little tool, if anyone else is interested:  http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1757641

Seems the worst climbs are at 2 miles, 7 miles, and 12 miles and then a a small one at 18.5 miles which although is half the size of the others seems harsh due to 4500 feet or so already climbed on the course.

Time for some hill repeats. . and then some!

Rob

• Hi Guys

a couple of q's if anyone can help

How frequent are the water stations or is this a camelbak run. (i checked the gallery and most people seem to be managing without? (obviously the weather will play a role).

is there a rough % you add on your road mara time for this race to work out wave expected starts. looks a cracking run, did the Henfield 30 last year over the downs and that was v good could be similar.

any help thanks.

Ian

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Samantha - you could get the train to the start (Arundel station I think, then a short taxi ride) and then get your return from Petersfield?
    People are pretty friendly at this race and I'm sure you'll get a lift to the station afterwards.

Ian - I've done this run with and without a camelback. There are probably half a dozen water stations at least and they are well equipped (water / gels / jellybabies). Personally I just carry a small bottle with me now and refill it at the stations - kind of a security blanket I guess!!

• There is also a tough one at around 25 miles too! Save some energy!

Water stations are every 3 to 4 miles IIRC. You can usually get a bottle (non-sports top IIRC) and there are usually SIS Go gels you can grab too.
    The organisation is for this event is (well, always has been) top notch. The only hiccup is that the odd coach driver cannot find his way to Slindon college and needs a couple of goes to find it. Always more than enough time at the start, so that is never a drama!
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭

And when the driver does get you to Slindon College there is a brekkie tent with coffee and croissants (£1).

Agree with Sean - this is a well organised, well supported event.
    The scenery is more than adequate to take your mind off the hills - so stop worrying about them!!

• Oooh Darkman....looks like you are recruited for the pre Pimms assault recce!! 17 mile off road hilly training run today....legs feeling tired now! Still it's only 9 more miles at South Downs so what am I worrying about??? How bout the rest of you guys hows the training?

Pimms loving FC

xx 

• Chubster; I'm greatly envious! I've been dragged bak to london for my uni exams so I can't get out on the hills. I'm stuck with the treadmill on 15% incline. . just not the same. I'll get about 2 weeks after exams to get back in the hills before the race though.

Congrats on the 17 miler. How much ascent was in your run?

Best,

Rob

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Oh Chubs, I'm just tootling about at less than 10 miles and all on the flat - and that's despite this run being practically on my backdoor step. Whoops!
    I'll get round it though - I always do. Somehow!

Good luck with your exams Rob.

• Hi Rob,

well I've just checked Garmin data and total ascent.....wait for it... 4137 ft (1261m) image

I am lucky enough to live in the chilterns! (I think) 

no excuses now I shall enter immediately!

Keep training everyone and keep thinking of the Pimms.......

FC xx 

•  Hi all!

was a bit nervous and unsure about taking on this marathon for obvious reasons! but stumbling upon this thread has pretty much covered all my questions, so thank you very much and will see you all on the big day.

Aaron.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoy it Sham.
  • This is a great Marathon, if somewhat tough with 5500ft+ of ascent, really looking forward to it as will be 3rd year in a row for me, and a good training run for longer stuff later in the month. Always an excellent Soloman tech tee at the end as well.
  • You'll know your strategy then while us newbies pant our way to the finish line!

Btw, I've heard a lot about this technical t-shirt. What makes it so special?!

Best,

Rob

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Salomon make good quality shirts and there is usually one that fits you, no matter how slow you are at finishing!

I've done this event many times now and my strategy is consistant...
    Puff, pant and crawl up the hills swearing / gaze at the scenery as though that's the only reason that I'm standing still / hurtle back down the hills with wild abandon.
    It works for me image

• Hi all.  I normally contribute to (whisper it) Fetcheveryone, but seeing as there's a thread about this race here, I thought I'd stick my two pennorth worth in.

I've entered this race as my *gulp* first marathon - I had a place at Edinburgh but my training went awry and it became difficult to get up there, basically "events" got in the way.

So, aside from getting out there again and concentrating on hills, trails, hills and more hills, is there anything anyone can recommend in terms of pre-race prep that differs this from a road marathon?

Cheers.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

frobester - good decision, it was my first  and I've never regretted it as I much prefer offroad running.

No need to whisper about the Fetching, there's quite a few people making appearances on both sites.

You may have a time in mind but it is probably better to take it as it comes, a simple change in weather can have a far greater effect  than in a road marathon. That said we usually have great weather for this and you may surprise yourself. - don't worry if you have to walk the ups as you can compensate on the downs. Consider suncream as it can get a bit exposed and expect your quads to ache for the following couple of days. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did - this will be my fourth year.

Tech  shirts are good and have had much use. They are also quite fitted so if in doubt, ask for a larger size.

Samantha - not sure if you can get to Arundel but I will be getting the train there from London so if anyone is up for a cab share to Slindon, please make yourselves known. 

• Thanks Helly, that's really reassuring. 
  • Does anyone know of some good, family-friendly B&Bs in Petersfield?  There's an outside chance I can bring the support team with me.
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Helly - I have just emailed you.
  • Hi all, I have just entered this...have done a few of the legs as training runs with friends who have run the relay in past years...now just have to put it all togetherimage

Should be funimage