Options

South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options
    Well looks like someone will be getting their wish - its forecast rain for Saturday now! Anyone run this in the wet? I can imagine a few months of dry, followed by last nights rain could make for interesting conditions underfoot... And worse (for me) still I havent done any long runs in my trail shoes! Is it passable in road shoes when wet?
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I've done this in the pouring rain. Well, pouring drizzle!
    It makes it a little slippery on the downhills, but not impossible. And some puddly bits here and there.
    Road shoes will be fine - the trail remains firm even when wet.
  • Options
    Phew, thanks limper. Best of luck all.
  • Options

We are on the course today doing the entire route for the final check - hopefully the rain will have stopped by the time we set off. Will report back on conditions.

Entries will close at 5pm tomorrow (Tue) for anyone dithering on their entry - there will be no entry on the day.

• Options

Hi Mike,

When will the info email go out for those late relay entries ?

I'm assuming that when the race pack is picked up at registration, it will contain the race numbers for the 4 runners ?

Ray

• Options

Hi Ray,

We will be sending the final email to late entrants after 5pm tomorrow when it is all closed down - email will have the runners joining instructions and the route maps - race numbers and chips will be collected on the day at the start.

As we have disposable chips this year that have been posted with the numbers there is no need for a general registration so we will only be dealling on the day with the late entries and lost numbers.

I'm off now to ride the route - report back later.

• Options

thanks for the update Mike and enjoy the ride.

Ray

• Options
    I'm driving from Clapham, south London on Saturday morning if anyone wants a lift!
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    smurphy22 - What time are you setting off?
  • Options
    Think need to be there by 7ish and from a quick look, 90mins drive, so leave around 530am...
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Hmm, probably too early for me as I'd have to get south of the river as well image.  Cheers for offering.
  • Options
    Problem is the last bus from the car park is 730am... otherwise I'd be happy to leave at 7am to arrive at 830! You reckon there's an alternative??
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

No, smurphy, you go for it.  I think the last coach used to be later but they nearly missed the start one year. I can take the train or go down the night before only that sometimes actually gets more complicated. I was just keeping an eye out for the easy option.

• Options

Hey everyone,

This is my first ever marathon, i have running for 2 years but last couple of weeks have been taking it a bit more serious, have been running 10 miles in a time of 1 and half hours, i nervous but exicited at the same time, i have never run 26 miles the longest i have done is 13 miles and this is even taken into account training. How do you guys think i will fair.

Because it is my first marathon i am thinking it will leave with the first group. Do i need to bring anything with me on race day? All i was planning to bring is me and my i phone for music to motivate me? 

• Options

And also forgot to ask will there be buses from petersfield to slindon at the end of the race as i am from slindon and do not want to drive to petersfield to get a bus to the start of the race?

• Options

Jake

According to the runners notes there are no buses from Petersfield to Slindon at the endimage. As to how you'll do, depends how well you take to the hills I suppose, but 26 is a lot further than 13, mentally as well as physically. My longest training run was 21 miles across similar terrain, and it was hard work.

Best of luck image

• Options
    Just do it Jake! Of course it will be tough but you'll be fine. My longest training run before my first marathon was 13 miles. I just took it at a nice slow pace... I run with a small backpack in which I keep water and energy bars - but I think I ready they provide pretty good rest stations. After 20 miles or so you'll want to eat anything! Good luck - and be cool image!
  • Options

For what it's worth, it's my first marathon too.  My first was going to be Edinburgh, but my training went to pot and I got ill.  So I refocused for this one, and built in some hills into the last few weeks.  The furthest I've run competitively is 20 miles, and in training 22 miles.

Being an offroad hilly marathon, I have absolutely no time-based goals for this one, beyond getting round it with some sort of smile on my face.  A time-based goal will be for my first road marathon!

Oh and if I was concerned about company (I don't train or race with an ipod) I'd just find someone of a similar pace and run with them - and try not to bore them too much with my banter!

• Options
    Hi all,

This is my first marathon too so have the same mix of anxiety and excitement as many others posting. I feel I am as prepared as I am going to be but what about the weather? The forecast looks like showers, a bit chilly (11 degrees) especially before noon and a bit windy. I assume the route is exposed so any tips on clothing would be appreciated. I would normally have no problem with a short sleeve running top and shorts but with some of the hills at 1mile+ and walking there is going to be time to get quite chilly without any extra layers, especially if wet.

I was therefore thinking of tying my water/wind proof running jacket around my waist just in case? Any views or experience to call upon would be most welcome.

As far as shoes go I will be in road shoes as they are the only pair I've got although I understand water runs off the course pretty quickly so hopefully this should be okay if a bit careful on the slippery bits. If it had been wetter in the run up I might have broken in a pair of trail shoes but hopefully will be okay without.

Cheers,

Stewart
  • Options

This is what you need:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-xa-10-plus-3-exp-insulated-set-aw10/

You don't want to run 26 miles with a jacket tied around your waist! 

You'll be fine with the road shoes but next time go for something like this: 

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-x-talon-190-shoes/

• Options
    So you reckon a backpack is the way to go then - I have given that some thought as I run my longer runs with a 1.5L camelbak but it has close to no storage space so only any good for water, couple of gels, phone + keys and that's about it. I have a suitable trail backpack with bladder but was erring on the travelling light and just going with my running belt which has 2 pockets + 500ml water bottle. What with the changeable weather however maybe the backpack makes more sense and then I can drop the belt and carry a few extra bits that might come in handy.

Thanks for the feedback on the shoes as well, they look good but my Garmin Forerunner packed up completely on Sunday, won't even switch on or soft/hard reset so have had to drop some unexpected cash on a replacement, having said that it's done about 6 years so can't complain too much - timing sucked though but new one arrived today thankfully. That's the problem with relying on gadgets for pacing etc, leaves you feeling exposed without them.
  • Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I would agree with the above, both road and trail shoes will be ok. I haen't done the race before but live close to and train on the south downs so know parts of the south downs way quite well. I personally will be using my trail shoes as they are lighter and actually more comfortable over long distance!

Looking forward to the race, i have only done one marathon before (London this year) and I would much rather run an off road one. Hopefully we get some rain on saturday image

What times/goals are people looking for? having run the dartmoor ultra on saturday I will be happy to just have a reasonably strong run! Can anyone who has done it before give me an idea on their time on this course compared to a road marathon?

WiB

• Options

I'd be overjoyed to break 5 hours for this, looks like a lot of climbing to me - especially the last 6 miles.

Current Metcheck forecast says a little drizzle early on, followed by mostly sunny. But I'll be packing a waterproof just incaseimage

• Options

Limper.....when you see me..you will realise 16st and 51 years old do not make for a speedsterimage

Supercaz......you have not trained?????? Not training is my speciality.....just come along and do it.image

I have done many marathons...i am going on the first wave as i will be well over 5 hours...i will walk the hills and jog/walk  the flat bits image and the down hilly bits (i hope)image

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Tonka - can't wait to see you. 16st and 51 years sounds fine to me image image
  • Options
    Please come and say hello...my number is RED 325...Should be in Pirate shorts, blue T under a Fittleworth flyers vest, and probably looking tired image
  • Options

I only paid yesterday and i am not sure what to do now. I have recieved confirmation email and i will be running with the first wave but it does not tell me how to register for the first wave. Can someone please tell  me what i now need to do or do i just turn up at slindon college at 9.20 to pick up my number and band.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Jake - After registering I received an email asking which group i would be starting with. As your entry is quite close to the event it will almost certainly be a case of collecting your number and timing band on the day. Best bet would be to contact the organisers if you are unsure of anything as I think most information from other people here would be an educated guess unless there is someone here with a bit of extra knowledge!
  • Options
    Hi Jake...the first wave leaves at 9.20am so you will need to be there earlier than that...if you have been allocated the first wave then you are in it.....just registar and pick up your number and Chip. See you there and good luck.image