Options

South Downs Marathon & 5K

Comments

• Options
    Puts £1 in pocket ready for coffee and croissantimage
  • Options
    I'm sure that this is in the info pack, but do we have to leave our baggage at the finish, and just go to slindon in what ever you're running in (or do they transport bags back to the finish from the start??)
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Put your baggage on the van at Slindon and collect it from the marquee just over the finish line image
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Limper is the info pack image Just pm'd you limper.
  • Options
    A  quick route question for those who've run it before - Is the last stage the worst? Not just for being last - it looks constantly up and down. Any particular nasty bits?
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

I love the last section TBH.
    The hills on this bit are not the worst, but I guess they come when you are most tired and if you're prone to hitting a mental wall then they cease to be funny. But the scenery remains beautiful and there are additional pockets of support (Particularly the Pimms-picnickers!) and you know that you are nearly done.
    I would say the third section - after Cocking Hill - is the tough one.
    But it's all wonderful really!

PM'd you back Helly image

Pasta and protein for tea everybody?!

• Options

Gwasshopper, you mentioned the second half of 13 miles - now I know some see this as mumbo-jumbo, but someone told me a year or so back that he sees marathon as a race of two halves - 20 miles and 6.2 miles - things get progressively harder (even without the hills!) over the second 13 miles so much so, psychologically, it helps to split it into a 20 and a 6.2.

Although this is my first mara, I can see his point.  You may have heard of it before, I just thought I'd put it up here.

• Options
    I really really can't wait - pasta, potatoes, rice, fish, fruit - I'm eating nothing else.
  • Options
    If anyone needs a lift from Epsom area to the start then let me know. Will leave at around 7:30 to be there for 9am (I'm a 2nd wave runner). Can also offer a lift back from finish as long as times aren't widely different. Call me on 07795061643.
  • Options

Samantha - probably not a good idea to put your mobile on an open forumimage.

Has nayone heard from Mike - is he still MIA? Its been raining quite heavily!

• Options

Well I've got some new laces for my Salomons.....thanks WiB.....got them free from 'complete outdoors' very helpful, now all I have to do is fit them ....better start now image

Loving the carbo loading although I am concerned about Frobester's post......I thought carbo loading was cake, biscuits and beer.....how could I get it so wrong?

Should be at QE park for 7ish so will get first available bus I hope, I like to get to start early so I'm not stressing!

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday

FC xx

• Options

The earlier you are at the start, the longer you spend in the loo....

My panic now is that I can't get my preferred caffine gel...

No word from Mike then, he'll be stuck at the bottom of Beacon Hill....

• Options
    the flaming chubster wrote (see)

Should be at QE park for 7ish so will get first available bus I hope, I like to get to start early so I'm not stressing!

Good idea FC always best to allow extra time in case of hold ups etc.  Also, it means you can save the stress levels for those hills.......image
  • Options

Better to spend all that time in the loo than round the course wishing you'd got there earlier to spend time in the loo!

I'll most likely be at QE park at about 6.30.  Nervous, moi?

• Options
    Y notY not ✭✭✭
    I last did a run longer than two hours back in February, should I be worried!
  • Options
    Y notY not ✭✭✭

Sorry for being thick but based on a couple of recent postings, can we generally start in any wave? If I get there at 8.30 can I start at 9.20 rather than waiting till 10am as I'm down for?

Don't worry I'm not worried about being fast and winning, just want to get home earlier. There are beers to drink!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    I don't know how strict they are but the numbers are colour coded dependant on the wave you start with. If your beers at that vital and you start at 1000 just run faster.
  • Options
    Y notY not ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Limper - agreed - third section is a b@at#*d ! At least we go round Harting rather than over it.........

Frobester - thats definitely true, although more so on a road/flat marathon in my experience. Psychological and physical pain starts much earlier on this one !
  • Options
    helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

Harting's around 20 miles isn't it? There's a nice soothing foresty bit after it then a succession of smaller but very energy-sapping ups and downs before the final long (Pimms!) straight through QE park towards the road and the finish.

Y not - I was after a 10:00 start as I prefer chasing but I've got a 9:40 one. If I get time I may see if a change is feasible when I start but I suspect this year they will be quite strict on the waves.

• Options

Disaster! A double-layered blister on the ball of my foot hat i got last week has turned into a one inch crack that shows no immediate signs of healing! i guess i'll be going straight from the finish line to my gp!

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Robert Crussell - Very similar position. Currently still hobling around on a massive blister that i picked up running an ultra last weekend. Still, i am sure it will survive with some tape and anything else i can throw at it between now and tomorrow morning. What wave are you going with? i was aiming for under 3:30 given racing last weekend but i may have to evaluate that again in the morning.
  • Options

Thanks guys I am reassured now....ha ha map in bag just in case though image

Rather oddly I am actually looking forward to this especially as it seems that there are quite a few of us slightly slower runners.  Even the weather looks to be on our side!

• Options

Robert Go and get some compeed mate...i used them after the London marathon one year where i had 2 massive blisters one on each foot and i managed to do the Shakespeare marathon the following week with no problems, they are fantastic.image

Shelly runs...how dare you..who do think you are calling a slow runnerimageimage

• Options

Wetter is Better - Yeah, I'm thinking plaster and tubi-grib and i'll have paracetamol in my belt though I doubt I'll need it. I'm to stubborn for pain relief.

I'm evaluating around 4 hrs given my foot and the amount of elevation that I'm not used to. I'm green so I'll be starting at 9.40. will I have the pleasure of your company?

Also, what ultra did you run last week? I've got my first ultra coming up in september; the 50 mile Round Rotherham. Any tips?

Shelly - The weather is on our side? It's been raining on and off for the last week my way! Fingers crossed no rain tomorrow! although I'll be very happy if the temperature stays roughly the same.

• Options

Tonka - Thanks for the advice. I'll pop down to tesco now!

• Options
    Rob..make sure you put it on tonight, take a bit of time and don't shower in the morning and it should stay in place ok....I think they are well worth having in your kit bag, just incase
  • Options

Tonight you say? very well. I may also have to superglue the split to stop it from widening bad times

• Options
    I suffer from split feet as well..i put on the compeed..then a sock to hold it in place and then stick on a shoe or whatever then it cant come off by sticking to the carpet....good luck.image
  • Options
    Yeah I've done that image feels a lot better now. Bring on the healing!!!

Can anyone tell me, is Slindon college easy enough to find or are there any treacherous hidden turns etc? I've managed to convince mummy to give me a lift to the start image as the alternative is getting the train down tonight and sleeping rough.