Options

The best Life experience?

13»

Comments

• Options

Sanyati Gorge, Lake Kariba, Zimbabwe - magical place, and home of BIG catfish.

Lapping Oulton Park in my road car, and being told by a professional BTCC driver that I did it well.

Sunset over the Grand Canyon

Completing my first marathon

Victoria Falls

Sleeping under the stars in the Sahara (and getting rained on!)

Meteor Crater (the wife says I was all excited like a little kid)

Taking my wife to Africa and watching her see her first wild elephant

The 1999 eclipse is also memorable because it was the day my good lady arrived in the UK to start our life together, an event that undoubtedly had more impact on my life than anything else. We stopped half a mile from Heathrow to watch it as it hit totality.

• Options

After family & wedding stuff:

Winning the Newcastle Sunshine 5k in 2008. I knew I was in 1st place at the half way mark, and the marshals kept talking into their walkie-talkies saying '1st lady has just gone past'  I knew I had to hold off the opposition for another 2.5k, but each mile marker was a little bit closer to victory.  As I approached the Millenium Bridge I thought I heard footsteps hot on my heels, so I really put my foot down, and the last 300m was at a sprinting pace.  The next lady was a fair way back, and the footsteps were probably just my heart beating in my ears.

I came over the finish line and my family were there to see it (they don't normally watch me race).  Amazing feeling.

• Options
    I want to add one more thing - getting involved with setting up and organising a parkrun - immensely satisfying and enjoyable, and I get it every week image
  • Options

Being with my ex for 14 years (doesn't count here!)

Making friends in all the places where I have lived image

Travelling around the world, especially SE Asia, NZ, Europe, US

Being in school & university- I loved learning image

Doing a few 5ks

Meeting David Bowie image

• Options

Finishing my first ultra was a real buzz....it was only one of a few races I've done where I did better than I thought I could. There's another race that finishes in the same place that I need to have another shot at too.

I was pleased I got my degree but having the nerve to dump the career that I did my degree to do and thought was my dream job was a leap in the dark, so to get head hunted for my current job was fantastic and real proof that I'd made the right decision to change.

I'll always be glad that I had the opportunity to do motor sport and sky diving when I was younger

• Options
    Retraining relatively late in life and getting a job in a field I've always wanted to work in, against the expectations of Significant Naysayers. Shame about the grinding poverty said field brings in its wake image