Ask the Experts: Marathon Nutrition Q+A with Ruth McKean

2»

Comments

• Thanks Ruth- most helpful.
  • Hi

I have worked with a couple of very successful athletes who use beet juice, it is the all about nitrate which is found in fruit and veg including beetroot as well as cured meats. The research has shown that it reduces the oxygen demand hence helping with fatigue. It has been shown that eating lots of fruit and veg  (your five a day) high in nitrates  (most vegetables spinach, beetroot, all cured meats, tea, grapes ..sure there are more but can't think off hand) can have the same effect.

If you are using beet juice you need to take about 500ml per day (can break in down to two-three drinks) and have it 5 days before race on on race morning but perhaps not the full 500ml on race day. Beware you get  very red pee and people have stomach issues with it so use in training & practise races before main race you want to try it in.

• Here would be a few better snack ideas instead of your chocolate, crisps etc

Granola/cereal oat bar or rice pudding or yoghurt with handful of dried fruit, 1-2 slices of malt loaf. half a hamlean meat/low fat sandwich, rice cakes with banana and drizzle of honey on top, breadstcks, 1 x crumpet or if really like your biscuits just a have a couple of fig rolls or  jaffa cakes.

Happy snacking

Ruth 

• head over heals

I think what you mentioned about why you need more food is right as you have got fitter you are covering more ground and hence need more fuel, a fast car uses more fuel! Make sure you are eating enough over a 24 hours period  if you have increased training.

think it should level out but start early on the run as you are doing and you need to keep monitoring it so just eat what you need to keep BG at sufficent level. I did know a runner who had to take a jelly sweets every five minutes. Also have you been having low GI breakfast to see if this helps.

It takes so much motivation to run a marathon without health complications so big high five to you!

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Hi there

You should  be happy you don't want curry and chocolate when you come in!! It would certainly not help your running at least in events under 26.2 miles. The reason is likely that running in many people reduces appetite for the first couple of hours and you are probably thirsty and like milk so this is the reason milk sits well with you and the biscuits are yummy with some salt in them and also are in small portions which when you have a reduced appetite is more appealing. I often tell athletes whom it is critical to recovery fast but they have no appetite to have fluid such as a low fat milkshake or even a jam sandwich with crusts off and cut into small triangles so the brian does not see a big portion and the athlete can just nibble on it.

Thank you for your response

i am certainly glad i dont want anything like that when i get home as i feel so good for going out for such a long run however i will be diverting my runs away from chip shops and curry houses  image

• Doodge

You mention you a have  low ferrtin (low iron stores) but not that you have anemia(you may not have anemia just low stores which means you are at risk of developing anaemia ). If you have iron deficiency anaemia then I do not think you are taking the right amount of supplementation (too little) as increasing iron from food alone would take a long time and you really should use supplements for about 3 months aeach day at a dose prescribed by your doctor then he may re-test you in 3 months. If your  ferrtin level below 30ug/L then it may be affecting performance. I would speak to your doctor about your level and follow his advise in supplementation. DO NOT TAKE HIGH DOSE IRON SUPPLEMENTATION WITHOUT FOLLOWING DOCTOR DOSE.

The red meat and lots of fruit and veg rich in vit C will help (as this helps absorb the iron form food), Avoiding tea and coffee 1-2 hours before and after meals may also help as these drinks reduce absorption of iron.

Gels etc should only be used in long runs over 60-90minutes and during races and if you so wish before and recovery if you like but not necessary. If you a e using sport foods as snacks this becomes very expensive and you can get your fuel from other foods. Very sugary sports foods do not help dental health!

• Really sorry for those questions I have left unanswered but need to go for now.

Thank you so much for having me and I wish you all happy and healthy training  and enjoy race day!

Ruth image

• Ruth,

Thanks for your response.

I do always have a low GI breakfast (porridge with semi-skimmed milk plus toast and coffee, albeit I also have a small glass of orange juice, which is definitely high GI).  As it is my longer runs that seem particularly prone to slightly low blood sugar at the end, is it reasonable to guess that even a low GI breakfast can only fuel me for so long - my run usually starts 90-100 minutes after breakfast, so after 2 hours plus running, breakfast is a relatively long time ago!

Might I need to increase frequency of jelly babies as the run progresses - would that make sense (I don't reall understand enough about this aspect, hence the plea for advice!)?

HOH

• Thank you Ruth - very helpful advice x
  • Thanks Ruth for all your time, and for such great in-depth answers.

Until the next Q&A...

Alice

• Head Over Heels

If you're still having problems, drop me a mail or post here and I'll try to help.  I am also a Type 1 diabetic and have run a marathon plus a lot of other distances.  All I can do is tell you what works for me, but it hopefully might be useful for you.

• BenH 2

Thanks for this offer.  I will drop you an e-mail but if you - or anyone else - are interested I have recently started a blog to cover the last few weeks of my marathonm prep.  Below is the link for this

http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/Head_over_Heels/dave-s-insulin-dependent-marathon-voyage-of-discovery/