Audi TT

I'm currently yearning for a new car. I've got a Fiesta at the moment, but as a child-free person I've decided to treat myself to something that I would really like. I would have chosen to invest in a dog (as it's probably much more fun and a helluva lot cheaper) but my husband is unfortunately allergic, so car it is!

I'm going for a test drive tomorrow and am going to try out the TT and the A3 - I prefer the look of the TT, and the fact that it's quite impractical in terms of person space greatly appeals. On the plus side it does have a big boot.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has one of these and how it is on the snow. In an ideal world I would invest in the 2.0 TDI Quattro, but they're pretty expensive. As I'll be financing a fair bit of it ideally I want around a year or two old and low mileage, so was considering the 2.0 TFSI. I had wondered if a set of snow tyres for winter would be enough to get me by. Most of my driving is in town, but we've had our fair share of snow and bad roads this year, and my Fiesta does pretty well on those. I don't really want to trade it in if I'm then going to be resigned to the bus every time the snow comes! Any thoughts or opinions most welcome. image

Comments

• If you're either a hairdresser or a middle-aged woman who wears too much make-up and could do with losing a couple of stones, the TT will be perfect.

The 2.0TFSI engine is excellent, especially if you get the 220bhp version.
  • Crap in the snow.

Electronic handbrake is worse than crap.

Other than that, great cars.

Snow chains. - Depends on how steep your hills are.

Oh and if it's the same sound system as ours you need 2gb SD cards - not SDHC, they won't work. You'll need to buy them offshore via Amazon. (you'll get a - they don't exist or no such thing from your local retailer).

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

Intermanaut - I am neither a hairdresser, or a fat middle aged woman who wears too much make up. image I take it from that you'd opt for the engine on a different car?

Biker-mouse - not really got any steep hills other than up into the work car park and my Fiesta got stuck there this year as the idiot in front of me slowed down! Excuse my ignorance re snow chains, but do you have to put them on and take them off depending on where you're driving?

• BB ✭✭✭
    UltraCas has one, I am sure she said it was pretty good in the snow and ice this winter - hopefully she'll see the thread and be along later
  • Surprised your husband would want to be seen driving one.
  • Try looking at the Peugot RCZ - a cheaper option and just as good looking.
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    My husband is not particularly keen on driving it but usually drives his own car. All he really cares about in a car though is whether he can fit 'stuff' in it - the boot is big enough for his golf clubs so he'd take it if he had to. image
  • I have a mk1 225 Quattro....great in the snow too! I got around Sussex last Jan when only big 4x4s were making it through. Have you got a two-wheel drive one BM?

I've had mine four years now and still enjoy it but it is more of a dual carriageway and main road car. I had a Golf V5 for a while at the same time as the TT and that was far more of a hooligan car...more my style really.

I'm planning to replace my TT later this year and at the moment a Mazda RX8 is the favourite....I had an imported MX5 before the TT and I much prefer the rear wheel drive to the quattro but the RX8 was too similar to my old car so I opted for the TT...I grew up watching the Audi Quattro dominate world rallying....but the Audi is just too predictable and drives like it is on rails, which is great if you want a fast car and you're not so confident in your driving skill. But the MX5 and RX8 are like driving pendulums in the snow - I used to have a lump of lead I put in the MX5's boot when it was snowy to help put a bit more weight over the driving wheels. The TT wins hands down in those situations

As for space - I have carried rear seat passengers and I have got my bike in the back as well as weekend's worth of gear and a passenger in the front too...but compared to the MX5 it is spacious lol! And when I had the MX5 my ex had an MG Midget.....we loved the impracticality of only having two, two-seater convertible sports cars image

• Running Kev wrote (see)
    Try looking at the Peugot RCZ - a cheaper option and just as good looking.
    Biggest problem with that is that it's a Peugeot! I had a 306 once and will never buy another Peugeot....crap build quality! I had a bonnet hinge break on a year old car...got that replace and the other side wentimage That was just the start of a very long list of problems too.....
  • If your brave enough go to your nearest car auction could save you a couple of grand. Take someone who knows a bit about cars

Buyer beware though an ex-company car is a good bet a high milage wont matter with  a good Audi engine

They are great cars and good build quality

• I'm on my second A3, and JPenno has just bought one

and D2D is a lesbian munter

• D2D is also into sweeping generalisations tooimage

Admittedly a lot of Audi drivers drive like twunts....but then so do those that own BMWs, VWs, Fords, Vauxhall, Nissans, Caravans........ image Just about every make has twunts for owners but there are some that don't drive like that either

• ClagClag ✭✭✭

My husband's a prick image He drives an A6. Sure he'll be delighted when I share that insight with him.

Thanks for the tip Goldbeetle - don't think I'm brave enough for the auction. Bottom line when you're financing it is that you want it to be without problems and ideally have some sort of warranty. For that reason I'll probably go to the Audi dealer.

What A3 do you have Dave?

• 3.2L V6 Sport Quattro. 

Can get the TT bike in the back with the seats down, (and you can't fit a tow bar so I can't have a caravan image)

Amazing piece of kit, so long as you don;t watch the fuel gauge, Had a stunning trip to Chamonix last year, Calais to Chamonix only 1 stop and felt great when I arrived.. Just eats up the tarmac

• I love my Audi - an A4 bought new but getting on a bit now (the car is too). Not all Audi drivers drive like pricks. I am very concious of the environment so I always drive as close to the car in front as I can to take advantage of the slipstream..
  • I think the quote was "all Audi drivers are pricks" not just drive like one

Not all Audi drivers have points on their license from talking on the phone either

• I think Audis and BMWs get a bad name as many of their drivers are company car drivers who are driving cars they don't own or often pay for the fuel (like me)*.

To say all Audi drivers are pricks is just like saying all runners who run in asics (or whatever) are pricks.

D2D - why on earth do you continue to try to be unpopular then moan when people have a go at you.

Are you mentally stable?

*For the record BTW my company car is a hybrid image

• What are the hybrids like to drive Running Kev?
  • Oh dear - I didn't read that properly, maybe D2D is right then in my case. But I never make calls while driving - texting is much safer!
  • Nah D2D is a dungaree wearing lesbian munter who drives a Prius and has a motorola phone

• Motorola?

Now that's just rude.

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

3.2L V6 Sport Quattro. 

Can get the TT bike in the back with the seats down, (and you can't fit a tow bar so I can't have a caravan image)

Amazing piece of kit, so long as you don;t watch the fuel gauge, Had a stunning trip to Chamonix last year, Calais to Chamonix only 1 stop and felt great when I arrived.. Just eats up the tarmac

Now that's worth knowing. TY. image
  • Saffy sweety pea wrote (see)
    What are the hybrids like to drive Running Kev?

I have a Toyota Prius - as it also has a 1.8 litre petrol engine it goes really well. Very comfy and loaded with gadgets. 

Plus it gets me 55mpg (even at 80mph!) and saves me (with incentives from the company and tax man) over £400 month compared to me taking a BMW X3 off the company car list.

• TT's are a bit of a butch hairdresser vehicle imho - The A3 imho is a far nicer car, its more understated  and performs really well specially if you get the sport models. I would take it over the TT any day.
  • Run on the path like everyone else image
    I don't have an audi but I like the lights image. Did borrow an older A4 once and was well impressed with it. More comfy than my BMW 2.0se, not as fast but better seats.

When I win the lottery I,m going to buy an R8 and move to Bicester image

• Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

For the record, I have a clean license - I opted for the course option instead of the points thanks very much image

Haven't got zenon headlights, and never been required to decide between the points or the course !

Zero points, and zero insurance claims.....

And I have no decided  that D2D is a tattoo'd fat lesbian munter wearing dungarees whilst driving  a Prius a Motorola phone and a flat feet

• i want an Audi TT- i will dazzle every bugger with the fab lightsimage.....thats for when im not driving the Range Rover i will also buy...........image give me an Audi over a BMW or  Merc anyday.........
  • I couldn't afford the xenons but got heated leather seats which are fabulous. I have tried an A3 but the interior didn't seem as good quality and the window switches were awkward to get to. Now the old S8 with the 360bhp engine - now that is I think the best looking large saloon. Especially with xenons! I'll get my coat...