Audi TT

Comments

• image*in awe at the thought of owning xenons*
  • Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

For the record, I have a clean license - I opted for the course option instead of the points thanks very much image

Also, in 7 years of running on the roads, I've had a fair share of cars pass me... and it's no sweeping generalisation to state that 99.9% of Audi drivers are inconsiderate pricks driving too fast, with their unnecessary, gaudy xenon headlights on.

or in other words I would love an Audi but cant afford one
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭

Ooh Peter, I should definitely be an Audi girl! My husband is always complaining about me driving up the arse of every other car. I don't think I drive any closer than he does, it's just that my bonnet is shorter than his and therefore he's more concious of it while in the passenger seat! I must remember the environmental excuse for next time he moans.

Well, off to the garage later today so will report back on my thoughts. Don't think I'll be doing anything for a while as our house is on market and we really need to get that sorted first. I don't think I'd win any brownie points for taking on a car at this present time. image Still undecided on paper - like the look of the 2.0 TDI quattro TT, but even for a year or two old it's a fair whack! Time will tell...

• "Get yourself a Maserati if you want a nice car."

get yourself a fucking life if you want to be liked around here and stop being so judgemental about drivers you feckless idiot. maybe there's a role for you on Top Gear with your stupid comments
  • If you want a nice car, get an Aston Martin.

But maybe that's not a helpful or sensible suggestion. image

• I've got no intention of getting a car but if I did I'd consider a Fiat 500.  I think they're cool.  However, I do realise that people will pass judgement, which is obviously more important than its economy, handling or CO2 emissions.  So, depending on colour, it's not too girlie is it?  image
  • Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Get yourself a Maserati if you want a nice car.

What drive an over blown Fiat ?????? (Perhaps D2D is hoping for an invite to one of Berlusconi's bunga bunga parties ????

Just been in my Audi dealers, and the have a gorgeous V10 Spyder 2nd hand.. Wonder if the OH will notice if I stick it on the credit card ?

• I might be a bit biased as my dad had two Audi 80s and I hated both of them but for me if you want a well built German car get a VW, if you want an upmarket German car get a Merc.   

But if you do get an Audi don't get an Audi TT - worst looking car on the road - screams I wanted to get something sporty but I'm just too sensible and lacking in taste - if you want sporty and sensible but without the lacking in taste bit get a Golf GTi.

• "if you want a well built German car get a VW"

many Audi and VW models share the same chassis platforms and engines so in reality they aren't that much different - it's purely the design and internals that are any different.

I've had various Audis including one of the very first TT Roadsters in the UK and they are great cars, and currently drive a VW Golf Estate Bluemotion which is also a cracking car. the TT was good but had it's limitations. much preferred my A4 Avants.
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    "if you want a well built German car get a VW" many Audi and VW models share the same chassis platforms and engines so in reality they aren't that much different

as well as Seat and Skoda... Although a Skoda might be pushing it a bit !

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    I've got no intention of getting a car but if I did I'd consider a Fiat 500.  I think they're cool.  However, I do realise that people will pass judgement, which is obviously more important than its economy, handling or CO2 emissions.  So, depending on colour, it's not too girlie is it?  image

Nope....(unless you get a pink one)

get one of the Abarth ones...they look fab.

• Skodas are great cars (based on owning an Octavia), shame they had such a long lead time when I was car shopping.

When checking out various cars I struggled to find anything about the Audi A3 that justified its price tag compared to other similar-sized cars, other than the name. And I wasn't particularly fussed about having an Audi, so it ended up at the bottom of my wishlist. If I was buying from Volkswagen-Audi Group for that size of car I'd have chosen the Golf, Leon or Octavia ahead of it.

• I agree SVT - when we were car shopping last summer, we had the TT on our list. Eventually we went for an alfa brera, wee bit cheaper than the TT, but a much sportier look to it. We were not looking for anything that could be considered 'sensible'.   Three weeks after we got our brera, a neighbour drove home with a brand new TT. 
  • ANTB - we are clearly on the same wavelength, as after dismissing the A3 I got a Giulietta for the reasons stated above. image

(PS no offence intended to A3 owners, I'm sure you're all lovely people despite what some say)

• Ah, now that is a beautiful car SVT.  We saw one in the garage when we were picking up the brera - very hard decision not to get the Giulietta instead. Alfas are indeed a thing of beauty (and now they've poached someone from BMW they tend to work too).

Is it actually possible to judge someone by the car they drive? Surely that would be like saying "tsk, people who get their undies in M&S, all the same..." 

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    "if you want a well built German car get a VW" many Audi and VW models share the same chassis platforms and engines so in reality they aren't that much different - it's purely the design and internals that are any different. I've had various Audis including one of the very first TT Roadsters in the UK and they are great cars, and currently drive a VW Golf Estate Bluemotion which is also a cracking car. the TT was good but had it's limitations. much preferred my A4 Avants.

That's the point though - a VW looks like what it is - a sensible well built car - the Audi TT is a well built car which compromises practicality but in an attempt to look good.   A bit like a modern Beetle but at least that succeeds in looking a bit quirky, in Squeak's words the TT just looks like a butch hairdresser's car.    

That said if the alternative is getting an Italian car then maybe it's not such a bad choice.   

• Audis are getting/have got very expensive in recent years.

having had 2 Audi A4 Avants in the past we would have liked another but the price tag put us off, hence the Golf Estate instead

have looked at Alfas many times - lovely cars - but always been put off by having no local dealer and poor residuals on resale.
  • fb - I have the same Alfa issues as you, but as a company car I couldn't care less about the residuals!
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    I've got no intention of getting a car but if I did I'd consider a Fiat 500.  I think they're cool.  However, I do realise that people will pass judgement, which is obviously more important than its economy, handling or CO2 emissions.  So, depending on colour, it's not too girlie is it?  image

If you get the right 500, they're pretty speedy from what I've heard. Am considering test driving one in a few months.

My aunt has several Audis and I don't think she's ever had any complaints, including the TT at the moment. If money wasn't a reality, I'd like to go for the Q7 (aside from the environmental aspect)

• My first Alfa was a company car too, so I was able to fall in love unencumbered by such worries. I'm on my third one now, second that we've owned. Can't bring myself to imagine driving something else. People stare at our brera and little boys tell their Dad's it's the car they're going to get when they grow up.
  • ANTB - agreed, it's definitely impossible to judge someone by the car they drive.  Whatever judgements you make about me as an Alfa driver would be wildly different to those you'd make if I was a Skoda driver - but did I change so much in the space of a day? And do I become a completely different person behind the wheel of our second car, a Hyundai i10?

• Hmm, but an Alpha and a Skoda both indicate you are not too bothered about what other people think - because you wouldn't get an Alpha if you listened to tales of how much time they spend in the garage being fixed or you grew up listening to Skoda jokes - so I can see how they go together.   Now if you went from an Alpha to an Audi TT then I'd be surprised. 

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Nah D2D is a dungaree wearing lesbian munter who drives a Prius and has a motorola phone

You leave my Prius alone, you bugger Daveimage
  • We've had two good Alfas.

Mr LB would like the new Range Rover.

He can want because he's in London and he doesn't even NEED a car right now.

When he does, I don't mind what he buys really.

But I draw the line at the Motorola phone.image

• I got a van image It looks shit, its drives shit, its diesel so costs shitloads to fill. But you can get loads of horse shit in it image
  • Nicko - every day I love you more and more.image
  • popsider - an accurate assessment! So maybe you need to judge someone based on all their recent cars, which is a bit diifcult when you're stuck behind them in traffic...

Nicko - it sounds... erm... what's the word I'm looking for? image

• I've got a Mini Cooper - puff's car but I don't care. image