Orthotic Insoles

Just a quick question about orthotic insoles....... I was prescribed some today but the podiatrist didn't mention whether to leave my origional insoles in or take them out..... what do people generally do - or is there no correct answer?!

Cheers

Comments

• I have a pair of orthotics and where possible I remove the orignal insole from any running shoes, and any other shoes that I wear.

I do have some shoes (Adidas Gazelles) that have irremoveable insoles, and my orthotics will not fit in there as well - so I suffer in the name of fashion - image

• Either ask your pod or try them out walking around the house. It's obvious when I put mine in, so it's not a problem, I remove the insoles as they don't fit in the shoe on top of the original insole.  Plus, they leave me too high in the shoe so my foot isn't held in well around the ankle. 

• Thanks for the replies - just had them on for an hour around the house in my running shoes - god they feel weird!!  I had them in on top of my original insoles but it felt like my foot was maybe a little too high out of my shoe around the ankle (like you said Jeepers).... it won't be a problem in any other shoes because they only have thin non-removable insoles (I'm thinking work shoes and golf shoes) - but with my running trainers (Asics Cumulus 11) they have a very thick insole to start with and so I think both together may be too much.  Problem is that I love the spongy slipper like feel which I lose completely without the original insoles in - but having both in retains some softness..... dilemma!
  • oooh, I'm going to try that too. I have been wearing my orthotics on top of the original insoles and one feels like a rock in my shoe and gave me a blister last time.
  • If you find that removing the shoes' own insoles and using the orthotics alone removes some of the springy-ness, then you could try using thin insoles.  I used ones from Boots as after a while, the footbed of the shoe with the hard orthotic doesn't absorb the vibration etc in the same way that the spongy insoles do and it gets noticeable on the longer runs.  I use the very thin but spongy ones (they're blue coloured).  It's just enough to add an extra layer but not too much to spoil the orthotic.  They cost about £2 ish per pair,  I think.

Congrats on your podium position the other day, VPimage

• I take them out.  I don't like the way that you can't feel the ground at all with them in.  Feels like I'm running on a pillow which is very comfortable for a while but pretty unstable too.  As my orthotics only go halfway up my foot (extra padding cover wore off a long time ago) I have cut the top half of my inserts so that my foot is level (i.e. my heel isn't slightly raised).

• Thanks Jeepers (for the advice and the congrats image)
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I wear mine under the original insoles!!! image
  • I have only recently had orthos made and they are the best thing ever!!!! Realy helped with my running stance and no aches or pains after woooo hoooooo!!!

I too did not ask about the inner soles so used to wear them on top of my inner soles. Now I run with no inner sole and it is much better.

I suffered with such bad blisters to begin with and had to pop bak to get them adjusted but now they seem fine.

However does anyone else find that they still chaff a bit on long runs i seem ok till about 9 miles then they start to rub. I have tried anti chaff gel...... Rubbish, Vaseline......Kinda ok, but iIhave taken to taping my feet when racing so it does not bother me. This has been the best option so far.

Any one else got any bright ideas?

Happy Running everyone!!

• They might require another small adjustment or you might be getting tired as you run farther and your core strength is failing to hold you in the same position as at the start of your run.  I know that as I get fitter I switch from supportive runners to neutral ones.
  • I am a podiatrist and you usually take your original insoles out when you put your new orthotics in.
  • It totally depends on what sort of insoles they are.. I have half insoles and I tend to put them ontop of my old ones

• Oh look, those "Nuovahealth" spammers are popping up as fast as they remove the accounts. Clearly the product is a pile of crap, if they need to make so many sock puppet spam accounts.

• yeah 1+ for the nuova insoles I got some and there pretty decent cheaper than custom insoles too!