The Brooks HellRunner - Hell Up North Saturday

2»

Comments

• I did the Sunday event.

Have done Delamere every year except 1 and agree with Eric. Trailplus certainly took on board criticism from last years event and turned it round.

Really enjoyable event and very proud to have succesfully defended 14th place from last year.

Still trying to clean up my finger and toe nails,

• Have done the last three years and again thoroughly enjoyed this year's event (Saturday). Thanks for reverting to the longer distance as this was an improvement on last year. Car parking much improved too.
  • yeah - finger nails - muck not shifting...
  • Alot harder and longer than last year but not convinced that was a good thing! The extra distance just seemed to be path running, much prefer it in the forest and mud.

Organisation was also alot better plus the t-shirt, medal and goody bag was a big improvement on last year.

• also did Sunday. Don't think it was as hard as hell in the middle although i was ill and struggling to eat anything other than a bit of fruit juice the days leading up to that.
    Anyhow white t shirts perfect when your covered in mud and good medal too! Quite happy with a pair of brooks trainers instead of a trophy. Haven't seen the RandR photos online yet....
  • I think that mud was permanent!! image I spent last night trying to sort my finger nails out before work! My feet are still filthy - although its hardly flip-flop weather.....

Overall, fantastic event - the Bog of Doom was hilarious!! Will certainly be doing it again image

• Has anyone done hell in middle??? If so how was it??
  • I started running only 6 weeks ago after losing over 4 stone in weight since February. I have always been a road cyclist but my mate is a runner and does some mad ones. He told me 6 weeks ago we would do this as a 'tester' for me (i dont know what he has lined up next!). I only managed to complete about 6 runs in the 6 weeks due to work, other commitments and the longest of these was only 8 miles. I was made up to complete this event in 2hrs 15 mins. I would NEVER have managed it 6 months ago. Shame i got pushed in the back down a hill half way around or i may have been a bit quicker as i could barely run for about 15mins after.

I thought this appeared to be organised very well and the other racers were all chatty as we went. Especially when i took the tumble and a couple stopped to check on me.

I now have the bug to do more challenges as i feel great for completing this. Any suggestions for more as i try and improve? Hell runner in the middle will be getting booked shortly!

PS, Mankini guy, i NEVER want to look up and see your bare arse in front of me again!! haha, great effort by the way!

Steve
  • "PS, Mankini guy, i NEVER want to look up and see your bare arse in front of me again!! haha, great effort by the way!"

Sorry!!
  • Well, firstly, Loved Mankini guy, I was opting for that option for my self but instead I ran in a Giant Baby Grow with bib and dummy attached... Big mistake.... I was almost cooked at the top of the hill due to the heat of running in a full Fleece outfit. Then, following going through the mud, my outfit weighed in at what must of been an extra 8-10 lbs.

However, what a great laugh, I love taking running seriously but do think the HUN opens itself up to fun running. I raised over £300 for my charity, and our running club all stuck together to have fun. I think it ended up as great training for the Chester Marathon in 4 weeks as running in that outfit when heavy was like picking feet up at 20 miles.

Lastly, I think the organisers should be commended. I ran last years event and it was a disaster. Too short, abysmal parking and organisation due to two on the day races. This year, they listened, added more distance to the run (clocked at just short of 12 miles) added decent hard standing parking and a little more fun. Only thing I would do is get a showman on the mike to make it more fun..

Will be back next year though for more fun!!
  • Definately the most enjoyable run I've done. Trainers started to come apart on the start line! Good laugh with the other runners on the way round and Mankini guy is a legend.

Covered head to toe in mud crossing the finish line and the first thing you get is a white t-shirt. Thought I was gonna be filmed for a new Daz advert!

• Any more punts on course length?...I've been filling in my fetch and don't know what distance to put in! Couple of people have said 18km...and 1300ft climb...

@ Paul Nicholls - How did you get to your just under 12? Has there been an official distance from organisers ? one of the marshalls said it was near 13...

ps liked the baby grows you were just in front of me...less of an eyeful than mankini man!!  image

• Great Event!

I was daunted about the prospect of this race to say the least, since I didn't class myself as a particular fan of hills or mud.  It's fair to say that I still don't like hills but boy do I LOVE MUD! I cannot put into words how much I appreciated the dubstep tunes blasting from the dj gazebo pitched at the first proper bog.  I could have stayed there all day.

Great organisation, I could have killed for a water station much earlier on and some additional hose pipes at the end would have been handy to at least wash hands but all in all an enjoyable experience that I would do again! It's a tough course (I'm battered and bruised and still walking like a Teddy Bear 2 days later) but fantastic atmosphere and it was good to see runners helping each other out at the bogs.

There was also one marshal in particular stood at the top of a steep incline must have been around 9 miles, he was in personal-trainer mode, shouting at us not to slow down or allow a gap between the runner in front but he was super encouraging and gave a boost when I was feeling pretty weak. So big thanks to him! 

p.s. Mankini man is my hero.

• Many thanks for the donation Lucy!! Really appreciate it!!

The bog DJ was brilliant, although on saturday I got stuck in the bog and couldnt move, yesterday I learnt from my mistake and avoided the left hand side!
  • Ran the Sunday race and thought it was even better than last year, Well done Trailplus for improving the organisation, extending the course and providing a really great t-shirt (though it would be even better in a plastic bag, as mine, like everyone else's is filthy...)

Wetter and better than ever, with the trickiest final bog of doom I've seen in 5 years of doing this one. Also, what a great bunch of people to run with, especially Mankini man, the lad with the iron and ironing board and the Army boy in full kit including backpack. Huge respect!

• The bog disco was the highlight of an excellent day, very very big well done to everyone involved.

Distance not an issue on an event like this but for the record my GPS got it to 11.1 miles which I think is about right, it was not 13 miles that’s for sure.

• Much better than last year and really enjoyed the course this time. Dark brown T-shirts next time please.

My Garmin clocked 11.14 miles and I checked with another guy at finish who had exactly the same distance.

Also checked with someone else part way through, at about 7 miles and had practically same distance, so I presuming these are fairly accurate.

Didn't see Mankini Man and feel slightly disappointed, but then again perhaps not...

• I think I may have given up if it wasn't for the personal trainer-mode marshal that Lucy refers to. What a legend!
  • Bring on hell in the middle anyone else doing it??