Worst or weirdest jobs

After learning yesterday that LB used to work in a tampon factory, what are other people's worst or weirdest jobs?

My weirdest job was working in a cemetery, no grave digging though just admin. I actually loved it, turns out the living are more scary than the dead. It was only a long-term temp job working for the council otherwise I would have loved to stay on. 

Although we had a database on the pc, all the burials had to be recorded in the books, some of which were over 100 years old. Never a dull moment & we even did some gypsy funerals which were always eventful. Very rewarding job too.

Comments

• Oh the FAME....image

You can't leave it there though - tell us about some "eventful" funerals!

• No weird jobs from me (unless you count six weeks working in Starbucks) but my Dad was a funeral director when we were little. During school holidays my brother and I would often sweep flower petals out of hearses after a morning funeral, so they would be ready for the afternoon one.  Dad would frequently take us to school in a Daimler, never a hearse tho, he did appreciate that would have made our lives hell.  He wanted my brother and I to carry on with the family business, but we're both too squeamish.
  • washer upper at a cafe - my skills didnt finish there either i got to clear out the ashtrays image

chambermaid at a big hotel - the morning after the weddings were the worst - included cleaning out toilets and changing very soiled bedding!! image

work experience at a play group - put me off kids for life

work experience at debenhams - not exactly the classy experience i was hoping for - helping measure old ladies boobs was not my idea of fun and when i used to take the cling film of the new clothes i always always used to get electric shocks of the metal

all that before i got this job at 18yrs old!!

• I've been a fluffer.  I wasn't very good though, the bosses used to give me a mouthful at every opportunity.
  • Coops10 wrote (see)
    I've been a fluffer.  I wasn't very good though, the bosses used to give me a mouthful at every opportunity.
    a what?
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    In a similar vein to Coops. I spent a summer working on a pig farm in Norfolk. the most interesting part of the job was when the boar was brought along to service the sows. Sometimes he lacked interest and had to be 'started by hand'. I suppose this makes me a pig fluffer.
  • Devoted2Distance wrote (see)
    Muppley wrote (see)

work experience at debenhams - not exactly the classy experience i was hoping for

Is Debenhams classy?

it is where i am from - i was expecting more of the make up and perfume counter and maybe the designer clothes section
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    You can't leave it there though - tell us about some "eventful" funerals!

For the gypsy funerals they would turn up in their hundreds. The women and young girls would wear clothes like they were out on the pull. One funeral in particular had 4 truck loads of flowers in a variety of shapes suck as mobile phones, cars & a double bed (?).  After the burial they would go and get some alcohol in the system at the wake then come back later. We normally had a few plain clothes police to attend to break up any fights. They would block up all the nearby roads on the way to the cemetery. We even had people lying down on graves & refusing to budge. Not forgetting the BBQs they used to have at weekends.

For a normal funeral, the burial would happen and then the people were gone not long afterwards so the gypsy ones were always so much more of a handful!

We dealt with animals getting loose from nearby fields (horses, goats), finding out coffins didn't fit at the crucial time because the funeral directors gave us the wrong measurements and a man throwing a 6ft wooden stake at us amongst other things.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Was I mocking or was I just describing what it was like?
  • I haven't been on here in weeks, and after 5 minutes D2D is already getting my nerves!

I didn't get a job there thank christ.... but I was once so desperate for a job that I applied for an office role in a company who make cardboard boxes......

Blasphemy is OK tho, But don't mock funerals

• Sounds very eventful K8.

I had a temp job in a very dull insurance office just off of Trafalgar square for a month.  Very uneventful but I thought it was very sad that the people who worked there found it very dull too, yet they were commuting 2hrs + each way to get there.  A very sad way to live your life.  It was rather old fashioned even for the early 90s.  It had a directors bathroom on our floor, so we plebs had to go down 5 floors to use the loo.  Very cost effective.

I also was a mobile DJ for a couple of years part time.  Get to see some interesting sights doing that.  I think the worst do I did though was at a very rough pub in middle of a not great council estate, the St Helier Arms in Carshalton.  It was a pub that was bulldozed in the end after a couple of murders.  Anyway, it was the night before the FA cup final and I think it was Chelsea v Liverpool.  I arrived, introduced myself to the landlord who was fine, then some of the bar flys decided to introduce themselves too.  One shock my hand and remarked that I didn't have a calluses on my knuckles, then another announced that if I played the Liverpool song, he would smash up my gear.  The night went on ok but I couldn't wait to get out of there.  At the end of the evening, I was packing away and girl came over and asked if I could carry on.  I explained that it was time etc and she said "Oh go on.  You wont get shot or nuffin'".  Up to that point, I thought the worse that could happen was that things could get a rowdy.  It hadn't crossed my mind that firearms could be employed at any moment!  I pack up quick and got out and told my boss there was no way I was ever going back there.

• Clearly the worst job is being a Banker, no amount of bonus can make up for every hating them.
  • I've had more jobs that you've all had hot dinners put together. I don't think a single one has been 'interesting' though I did work in a perfume factory making cheap rip off products which also had a sideline in a certain gentlemans product. Well probably not gentleman but...
  • I work for a bank, although I am not a banker. I pretty much despise the firm I work for. And no, I don't get fabulous bonuses. My husband gets better bonuses than me, working for a quasi-govt organisation.

Problem is though, none of the bankers I work for appreciate just how much they are hated.

• k8greene wrote (see)

You were describing it. Cor blimey D2D, you're a writer, you should be able to tell the difference.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    k8greene wrote (see)

You were describing it. Cor blimey D2D, you're a writer, you should be able to tell the difference.

I know Scream, more of a rhetorical question! However, if D2D would like to enlightment me as to where I was mocking, I would be happy to re-word things.

It's just my sense of perception i.e. distorted.

Ignore me image

We try, But you keep coming back !
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I read no mockery in K8's post, just a simple statement of fact. The tone was entirely neutral as far as I could tell.
  • I've had some tedious jobs, such as re-packing food products, but the people are often good fun so it's not too onerous for a few weeks.  I worked in a kitchen at a small college for a few days but the cook was so nasty to the other bloke who worked there that I couldn't stand it and left.  I also got sacked from a job cleaning new houses because I was so bad at it image
  • As a laboratory technician for the Open University's summer schools, my main duty was to dispatch and dissect rats and caterpillars to make tissue preps for active transport experiments image

Prior to that I was a laboratory technician in the Research and Development lab for a well known pregnancy and fertility testing kit manufacturer; my main duty was to preserve and test vats of female urine to check the validity of the kits image

I've also worked in a stables where the routine cleaning of male horses' genitalia was a pretty grim job. Do I qualify as a fluffer too? image

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    I was a cleaner for a while. My least favourite was where I was paid by the council (!) to clean the home of a huge, filthy family with six kids, three dogs and five cats (one of which had just had a litter). I spent two hours one day cleaning the kitchen floor with a KNIFE!

My absolute favourite was the beautiful home of a former England cricketer - he and his wife were old-school posh people who expected me to work hard (I did) but kept my energy up with tea and cake. They bought a Burmese kitten, which used to hop up on my Hoover and ride around the house with me. image
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    k8greene wrote (see)
    The women and young girls would wear clothes like they were out on the pull.

To clear things up, I should have written:

The traveller ladies and young girls were not dressed in the tradition black attire associated with funerals. They were, however, dressed in brighter, more revealing clothes likely to be found on young women upon a Saturday night.

Sorry to have offended anyone.

• You mean, they were dressed like dirty little sluts?  I understand.
  • K8greene no need to justify i think most of us have seen the ch4 programme last week alone the guy whose sons memorial at graveside actually said himself that the women, girls and the younger boys respected the occasion rather than wear hardly any clothes and that was televised!!!