Worst or weirdest jobs

Comments

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    I'm still giggling at the irony of having only recently taken D2D *off* ignore. image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I've not had any really horrible jobs, luckily.

I temped in a hospital, getting the X-ray films from the store for each patient coming in for clinics.  That was pretty grim, the dust and dirt accumulated in the filing, and they were very heavy.

Being a chalet girl nearly 20 years ago was quite good fun image

• Podro wrote (see)
    In a similar vein to Coops. I spent a summer working on a pig farm in Norfolk. the most interesting part of the job was when the boar was brought along to service the sows. Sometimes he lacked interest and had to be 'started by hand'. I suppose this makes me a pig fluffer.

I know someone who had to help the boar service the sows. Its not just the tail that is curly is the way I got told about it. He had to reach down and look for it then catch it and help it in. One time he bent down to look for it and the boar did a big thrust that coincided with it getting excited and it went where my mate didn't want it to go. There are times you keep your mouth shut is all I can say. And before anyone questions the "mate" bit it was seriously a friend and not me. He told us at a party and being a bit of a raconteur he was full of stories which would get more risque as the night and beers went down. He regretted this story I can tell you. Even if he couldn't remember telling it there were sufficient who did!!

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Coops10 wrote (see)
    You mean, they were dressed like dirty little sluts?  I understand.
    Coops, that's too un-PC for this forum. Go sit in the corner and think about what you have done.
  • I knew people who worked at biscuit and chocolate factories. They were allowed to pick stuff off the line to eat. Shortly after I found out about that I got a job in a company that bottled those miniature drinks bottles. They did everything from wine to whiskey and every other type in between. Anyway, unfortunately I wan't allowed to help myself there. It was all very strictly controlled. The content of the huge tanks were strictly controlled and the outflow to the bottling equipment was strictly monitored and controlled. There were spillages of course. My job was to clean them up. They did good toast in the canteen too. I learnt that toast with butterand brown sauce on it is actually better than it sounds. Best job was going around with the floor sweeper. Noone bothered you with that and you could waste a lot of time on it.

• K8 - I have thought about it.  Now what?!
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Coops - You're allowed back to make some more un-PC remarks.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Lanky Lad wrote (see)
    I knew people who worked at biscuit and chocolate factories. They were allowed to pick stuff off the line to eat.

That would be my ideal job, I have such a sweet tooth I don't think I would ever get sick of it.

• K8 - I had a Saturday job at a bakery when I was young and they would allow you to eat anything you liked (apart from the fresh cream cakes). First three weeks I ate nothing but doughnuts and then suddenly stopped. Twenty years later, I'm still not a big fan of doughnuts. Cream cakes though are more than temptation. 
  • I was a cleaner for a few weeks in the summer holidays while I was at uni in the 80's. Most of the time it was cleaning flats that has just been redeveloped so it wasn't too bad.

The exception was the flat that recently been fumigated for cockroaches. There were dead ones everywhere and my tough boss was hoovering them up for us squeamish people. There was a horrible crunching noise as they went up the nozzle image

Worst part of the job - I was paid £2 per hour image

• Working in a psychiatric hospital. Daily threats of violence, occasional threats of rape and  rape of parents, attempted suicides - the most memorable being one chap trying to drown himself in the toilet. I left after 8 months.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Gizzards Puke wrote (see)
    Working in a psychiatric hospital. Daily threats of violence, occasional threats of rape and  rape of parents, attempted suicides - the most memorable being one chap trying to drown himself in the toilet. I left after 8 months.
    ...and that was just from the medical staff.......
  • Podro wrote (see)
    Gizzards Puke wrote (see)
    Working in a psychiatric hospital. Daily threats of violence, occasional threats of rape and  rape of parents, attempted suicides - the most memorable being one chap trying to drown himself in the toilet. I left after 8 months.
    ...and that was just from the medical staff.......
    http://instantrimshot.com/
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    AllNewTB wrote (see)
    K8 - I had a Saturday job at a bakery when I was young and they would allow you to eat anything you liked (apart from the fresh cream cakes).

How can jobs like that really exist, they just seem to good to be true.

• they reckon this is the worlds best job

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7824395.stm

application form anyone???

• K8 - they realise after a while you'll get fed up of deep-fried, sugar coated cake. Hmmm, cake...
  • My last job was at a brewery (free bar at lunch and after work). Once a month I was on the tasting panel where a select group would drink for an hour and score the beers on various points. It was definitely a job with some good benefits.

• Gizzards Puke wrote (see)

Sounds familar too, to anyone who works in a busy A&E department.

We've got no coat-hooks in the toilets/cubicles, & 'breakaway' curtain tracks, so none of the depressed/'psych patients' can string themselves up!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    BRT wrote (see)
    Chalet Girl,tell all????

Not that much to tell - lots of skiing, lots of drinking, lots of cooking.   The fishmonger in town took a shine to me, so I used to get free smoked salmon imageimage

SoVeryTired wrote (see)

My last job was at a brewery (free bar at lunch and after work). Once a month I was on the tasting panel where a select group would drink for an hour and score the beers on various points. It was definitely a job with some good benefits.

And he hasn't worked since...... image
  • SoVeryTired wrote (see)

My last job was at a brewery (free bar at lunch and after work). Once a month I was on the tasting panel where a select group would drink for an hour and score the beers on various points. It was definitely a job with some good benefits.

On a similar note, many years ago I had a summer job at a factory that made jams, marmalades & jelly that had daily tasting panels.  Towards the end of August they started cranking up the machine that made filling for mince pies.  Fortunately for my waistline I left shortly after that.
  • aged 16 I had a summer job in a large car component company warehouse - most of it spent driving a fork lift truck, loading trucks. minimal training, no need for any H&S licence in those days - fantastic fun for a 16 year old. paid like shit though and had to work shifts.....couldn't have it all eh??
  • Worst job... Working as an electrical salesman at Comet. Selling product and extended warranties everyday was soul-destroying, and by the end of the year I'd began to hate myself and the job.

Luckily, it was only my gap year and I never had to go back.

• My brother was a chimney sweep I used to help him out in summer holidays.It was a great job, filthy but fun met some great people (and before you say, I wasnt shoved up the chimney I was too big,we had a YTS boy for the from the orphanage)

It was back breaking heaving all the gear around.

The weddings were the best where you kissed the bride and wished them luck £30 for ten minutes work and and then attack the buffet we did 5 weddings in a day sometimes in the summer.

My brother didnt shave in the week before a wedding so he looked scruffy enough, he had this amazing crooked top hat he got from a junk shopp he looked like the Artful Dodger.

• My sister in law used to work for Cadburys image on the production line, quality control.

.....she has never eaten a chocolate since the smell makes her sick !!!

• I've not done any weird jobs but my most unusual one was when I lived and worked on a canal boat.
  • Not had any wierd jobs, but worst (and in some ways best) was glass collecting in a bar. Found the only way to not get soooooooooo pissed off with drunk people was to have a bottle of vodka in the staff room and sip that all night! Worst bits were cleaning the ashtrays and dealing with the mess when people were sick image oh and pretending to the manager that we were sober at the end of the night, not that they minded too much, they spent Saturday nights locked in the office with a bag of Coke!
  • Had some great jobs - worked making guitars in a factory in Australia, working the night shift on a friday / saturday in a 24-hour service station (or just "servo" if you're in Oz) in the middle of a red-light district - you saw some sights!

I guess the oddest job was when I worked for a while collecting data for government and academic research projects - one was a 3-year longitudinal study on the sexual habits of the nation.  Some funny (and occasionally slightly depressing) conversations were had when you're asking folk fairly detailed questions about their experiences...