Hellvelyn Tri

Comments

• I've done this race twice, if I was you spongecake I'd use the Dawes as a heavy old MTB even with slicks will be slower than your Dawes. The race is awesome, the scenery is fantastic, the venue, in fact everything about it is top notch.image
  • Thanks Pebble,Im gonna see how my training goes and hopefully get down the lakes a couple of times over the summer to ride the route.Are you doing it this year.
  • No I'm doing Ironman Wales otherwise you'd see me there for number 3 image
  • Good luck Pebbles,is that gonna be your first full Tri
  • Nah I've done a few image
  • spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

Went down the lakes to ride the route at the weekend,The Struggle certainly brings tears to your eyes,I thought it was never going to end,last 200 meters is a killer.The down hill on the other side was equally terrifying and crazy.Did a short run when I finished the ride just to see if my legs still worked.

Really glad I bought a new bike with three cogs on the front,I would never have got up the hill without it.Swim training going well in the sea even if it is a little cold.Managed to get a suit for £80 which i thought was a good buy.

Cake,My training partner is trying to persaude me to go for the Outlaw next year,it looks like it got good reviews.Hows your traing going

• Afraid training on hold had family problems and my IM stuff is out of it this year. Going to fit in a checky half IM or two and might be up for this race if thinks are ok in a few months but got a parents with a serious illness at the moment. image It's annoying but life happens.

Hows your open water coming along?  Oh and very likely I will be at outlaw next year it's going to be fun. image

Really sorry to hear about your parents,lets hope things get sorted soon.I know how hard it is to have family ill.Life deals some cruel twists along the way.I think my training keeps me sane and helps me get rid of the frustration.

Open water swimming is consisting of one session a week down the docks,getting easier and i found the suit helps me keep some kind of form in the water.struggling with keeping to front crawl cause of breathing issues but will get there.also doing 2000 meters in the pool once a week is helping.I am also trying to improve my MPH on the bike,I am managing about 14/15 at moment but i think I need to sort nutrition out and I am rubbish at going up hills. Outlaw is looking good for next year,Ive still gotta try and brainwash myself into believing I can do it,

• Enter it and that will give you some real motivation trust me. image

Cheers for saying about family cakes and know what you mean about training. It keeps you sane or insane depending on your point of view.

Probably insane when i think about it,you do get some strange looks when walking out of the water at 6.30 in the morning.image been watching some clips on you tube of hellvelyn tri and i cant wait.Night shift this week and can i hell get to sleep
  • Helvellyn Triathlon 4th Sept

Brief history took up running in 2004,I love running in my comfort zone and tend not push myself to hard, hence I am not very fast and I hate hills. I am a confident swimmer at breast stroke but struggle with front crawl and I’m not very fast. I love cycling but I’m not very fast and I hate hills. I am a master at not training enough and enjoy long tapers. I have completed a few short triathlons.400m swim 20/25k ride and 5k runs.

Back in March I was training for the VLM when I had to pull out because of injury, I was gutted, nearly 500 miles of running through the winter all done for nothing. I decided to look for an event to focus on for the late summer, Triathlon training would allow my foot time to heal while I focused on swimming and cycling. Run training started in late May.

The event I picked was the Helvellyn Triathlon; it has been described as one of the top ten toughest triathlons on the planet. I know there will be harder tris in the UK but the description kind of sold the event to me .1 mile swim in Ullswater, 38 mile bike ride taking you up the Struggle then a 9 mile run up Helvellyn. Training went well and before I knew it, I was travelling down to the Lake District. I registered the day before at Glenriding, The weather horrible pouring rain and driving wind, I was dreading the next day. We stayed in Keswick overnight, Dining out with friends and chatting about our fears for the next day.

I woke at 5.45am and went over to the window to check the weather, It was glorious sunshine. I tried to eat breakfast but struggled with nerves. We then drove over to Glenriding and set up the transition area, checked my kit for the thousandth time then oiled up and got the wetsuit on ready for the safety briefing.

• The race started at 08.30 in three waves, I was in the last wave which started about 8.40. The start was one big washing machine of feet and fists flying but I stayed back and waited. I had planned on doing breast stroke with bursts of front crawl around the course, swim time was nearly 42mins, slow but I had done it, Out of the water I ran to my wife, gave her a kiss got my Garmin then went in to change for the bike. I heard the commentator saying that just because we were slow getting out of the water it didn’t mean we couldn’t catch the field and have a strong finish. I knew I was going to struggle for the rest of the day. I smiled and started to ride.

I started slow, taking on gels and getting my breathing sorted, I knew the first climb was only 2 miles into the ride and although not steep it was long. More people overtook me, I just put my head down and got on with it. The ride didn’t go to well, the only people I overtook were the ones who had stopped for punctures. I took a gel every 25 mins and just before Ambleside took 2 together. The Struggle is an evil hill climb with 20 to 25% climbs for nearly three miles, it almost makes grown men cry. I had practised this hill in training and never managed to make it up without walking and today was no different. 1.3miles up the hill I had to get off and walk, when I got my breath back I rode then walked then rode. My wife was waiting at the top the Struggle with friends, I gave her a kiss and reassured her I was okay, Even though I felt like death. I got on my bike then started the terrifying descent of the Kirkstone Pass, I overtook 2 cars with a huge grin on my face building up speed and trying to keep my hands off the breaks. At the bottom of the hill you ride towards Patterdale and the transition area, I could hear the crowds cheering and was really happy thinking they were cheering me, They weren’t, they were cheering the front runners who were finishing the event, It was sole destroying knowing I still had all of the run to do. I was in awe of the athletes who can complete the course so quickly.

• I quickly changed into my running shoes, back pack on and started to run, I knew it was going to be hard, my legs were so heavy and I could feel my thighs burning and start to cramp. I headed towards the hill and began to doubt my sanity when I saw the hill in front of me, my legs were cramping badly and a concerned marshal tried to persuade me to pull out, I told him I would crawl round if I had to and started the long plod up the hill. I cheered myself up by having a bit of banter with the day walkers coming off the mountain and swearing at myself a lot for being so useless. I felt so down and it was hard to keep pushing on. A couple more competitors went past, I had a joke with them and kept plodding. Eventually Swirral Edge came into view. I started to wonder if I could make it up the hill. It’s a bit of rock climb towards the summit and by now my legs were cramping with almost every step. When I got to the top I sat and enjoyed the view while chatting to a marshal. I had a drink had then started the run down to the finish. I didn’t run for long, every step felt like hot knives getting stuck in my thighs. I started to think of my family waiting at the finish and knew they would be worrying; I was by now well over my predicted time. I just kept trying to hobble down the hill, every step agony but every step closer to the finish line. I caught up with a bloke called Neil from Essex. We were both in agony and we hobbled down the hill together. As we neared the town we started to jog a bit more and the crowds in the town started to cheer us on to the finish line. My wife and friends were waiting to give us a big cheer as we crossed the line.

I am so happy to have completed this event, On another day I might be able to better my time but on this day I can truly say I gave it my best, and I did it with a smile.

Sorry for the long post.

• I know my time was crap but I really enjoyed the day. I dont think I would be in a hurry to do this event again because it hurt to much.

Roll on more training and bring on the Outlaw next year.

• Time is irrelevant achievement is permanent! Very well done and see you on the start line 1st July if not before. image
  • Thanks Cake,Had a cracking day,the weather was fantastic.First time in a mass start was just as scary as I thought it would be.Cant wait for next year.Hope you are keeping well.
  • Spongecake well done mate, Cake is right Time is irrelevant we enter these races to complete not to compete image I'm new to this Tri stuff to first year, not as brave as you done 5 sprints then booked a middle distance race full boar which is on 18th September. If all goes well will book onto outlaw for next year image and was looking at the Hellvelyn only last night and think that I would love to enter that to next year. So reading your report has spurred me on even more. Keep up the training and see you at the outlaw July 1st image
  • Thanks Silver and good luck with Full Boar,really glad my report has spurred you on.I look forward to reading of your experience. Your race on the 18th will give you a good indication of how your training has gone.
  • I'm good matey just starting to gear up for next year and get some training in. It's going ot be fun. image
  • Cracking effort Sponge, I know how tough this event is having done it twice myself.

Its a character building race, finish this and the Outlaw will be easy image

• Pebble,You must be mad to do this race twice.It isnt funny going up the hill and feels even worse coming back down.

Good to hear youre ok Cake,I managed to get out on me bike this morning,just for an hour today is the first day I havent been walking funny.

• image matey make sure you don't get lazy the next couple of months it will hurt more if you have to get back to fitness. Talking from experiance for the month after outlaw it was Gunniess all the way. image
  • If this event has taught me anything its to respect the distance and train harder.I am in for a long winter of training.

Pebble the best of Luck with IMW this weekend,Hope you have a great race.

• Sadly wont be racing had to pull out due to illness, hoping to have another crack at races in the Lake District next year. See you at the races image
  • Sorry to hear that Pebbles,Good luck with your training. Yes you might even see me at Helvellyn if I get amnesia and forget what it did to my body this timeimage
  • image Oh Pebble ((hug)) what races next year? I'm well up for day in the lakes and possible this one depending on bank manager.
  • Fantastic spongecake, well done, amazing achievement and a really good race report.
  • Thanks Plodder have you been racing this year?
  • Not in the same league at all!!!!!! I am a runners really. Done a few 10ks, lakeland trail races and some halves this year. Had to pull out of Coniston trail mara due to injury, so decided to give tri a go. Did Clitheroe Tri a few weeks ago (only sprint distance , but quite hilly bike ride), and I'm doing Ulverston on Sunday (again a sprint type distance). Must admit though, I've definitely got the tri - bug, really love it.
  • Good effort Plodder,they are addictive and the training is much more fun.Good luck on Sunday.Believe me I am strictly non-league when it comes to speedimage