Spen 20

Can anyone outline the route of the Spen 20 for me? Or is there a map anywhere online?

Wouldn't mind having a drive around so I know how to pace it on the day.

Ta muchly

Comments

• just a slight detour just before mile 2 and 3 due to road bridge closed
  • Ah, thanks for that TPF. Only just remembered I'd been on and asked about this.

Still time for a drive reccy! 

• what time are people collecting numbers on the day?

it says allow plenty of time but is picking it up as you walk to the start line acceptable?
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    the clubhouse is next to the car park and track so anytime you want I have mine to pick up aswell

what time a runners aiming for last year got a PB of 2h41 so want to try for 2h30
  • just using it as final long run.

going to do 15miles with whatever group i feel comfortable with (proabably 2.30 image ) then press on in the last 5 

a little concerened the field will be sparse becasue last year had less than 500 runners and south yorkshire half is same day image

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    they get about 200 plus runners it is hard at times but easy in other places
  • Went to drive the course earlier in the week. My goodness I felt like I was in a Benny Hill sketch with all that doubling back and forth and going round and round.  Thought the route was nicer than I expected though, and at least the bit you do twice is the pleasant bit.  Big climb between 9 and 11 miles, but like the look of the downhill finish image
  • i think doubling back is good in such a small field.

'nicer than expected'  is that in terms of undulation or scenery?

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    that hill at mile 19 1st year I did it my knee nearly gave way down there

I like the course you can meet runners going the other way
  • Nicer than expected in terms of both hills and scenery image

And I agree about the doubling back. I'm a slow runner and tend to get strung out at the end of the field, so will be nice to be able to see the other runners. Even if they are lapping me! Yes, the downhill finish looks like a knee-murderer, but still wouldn't want to be going the other way up it!

There's one bit of the course where you run past some houses 3 times. The neighbours must wonder what the heck's going on!

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    yes that is where the water stn is the Liversedge half mararthon and Roberttown 7 mile races also go that way

I will be in a chester marathon 2010 blue/white t-shirt
  • I'm looking forward to this weekend. I just hope it's not too windy, as that will only make this tricky course even trickier.
  • I did the Roberttown a couple of years back. But didn't have a clue where I was going! I remember I found the 7 miles hard going though, so god knows about 20!!

Fingers crossed on the weather. image

I'll be in Todmorden vest. There's 3 Tod ladies coming over to do it. image

• The course has slightly changed this year due to a bridge closure over the M62.   

I believe this is the route for this year:

www.mapometer.com/en/running/route_1062101.html

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    not much of a change it just goes under the motorway instead of over

the course is a killer weather there is wind or not
  •  the juicer - what course did you drive?

1. there was no doubling back, i only got a glimpse of other runners once

2. hills better than expected? what on earth were you expecting! image

ive never seen anything like it, i felt comfortable for the first half but the hill leading to 10miles just destroyed me. plodded home from there image (plodded is probably being to generous)

great event, definitely be back next year!

wont be putting it at the end of a hard week next time image

• Very enjoyable course today - a lot kinder conditions than we could have expected with the rain easing off not long after the start, no real wind to speak of and a nice sunny finish.

As always, excellently organised and a credit to Spen AC! image (Especially the cheap grub afterwards image)

• 3 water stations on that course!

I knew it told us in the literature (and i could have carried some my self) but   surely its not to hard to have one or two more? would have made a big difference

other than that, brilliant race image

incredible value and puts a lot of other events to shame! 

big thanks to all the marshalls

• Why do you need more than 3?

Thats all I can ever remember there being and it doesnt seem to have been an issue before?

• were there any officially photographers or were they all just locals?

want to see what the good runners look like near the endimage

because i was thirsty? 

ive done a half with five (and i dont use any there!)

lots of other people were doing it as LSR/marathon prep surely?

• did not see any photographers this year
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well what a race for me was hoping to get 2h30 and did do knocking 11 mins of last years time

something did annony me on route at the bottom of the hill after mile 19 some kids where trying to put runners of by trying to race them they go told by a walker to stop but took no noctie

but I just shut of and speeded up

I am so happy with my race today the best race in West Yorkshire and will be back next year but back in June for spen Greenway 10k and then the miltea 10k

well done Spen ac Bradford 10k next week
  • Your right `crazytown`, maybe one more water station would be better `for everyone`.Say every 4 miles in keeping with `the majority` of road races.Its always good when you get to these distances to keep topped up either with water or gels,no matter how long it takes to get round. 

Juicer,I know what you mean,there was a crossroad point where runners came and went from all 4sides and then there was place where you passed runners still going out.

Well done Compo,took a while to catch you up,9 miles I think,but I slowed down later on,cramp kicked in at mile 18,just made it under 2.30 myself and you weren`t far behind.Good day all round though,has to be `thee` spring mara warm up race.

Heptonstall 15 mile fell run next weekend for me,then Thirsk 10 and a chance for a fast time and PB....maybe!!

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    tiptoe

I had you in sight all the way after you overtook me can not wait for next year will work hard to try and knock more time of then

Bradford 10K for me next week

Spen ac really do a good job with this race I love the course should be back to normal next year
  • Craig ('Tiptoe'), you looked to have enjoyed it when we were speaking yesterday afternoon at the top of your street.

You didn't mention 'Heptonstall' to me though.

Have you noticed that on the Club website, that Stewart has suggested that other members also try a fell-Race (or 2?) & should speak to you, or me about them??

http://www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk/ (bottom left of text)

• Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

I’ve been scanning round to see if there were any pictures. Figure I might stand a chance as I ran the majority of the course alongside a SpenAC runner, who was getting snapped regularly.

Great race. I nearly didn’t turn up, but glad I did.

I don’t know about another  water station. I hit it every time I passed, but just had a quick swill and the rest went over my head.

• Cracking race erally enjoyed it and what a fine day it was!

Pulled off a 2.51 9 minutes better than last year!

The cornish pasty after the race was amazing!

• Hmmm, yes. The hills were rather easier driving them in the car.  Thought I was gonna die by about 13m as it had seemed to be uphill for about 4 miles. But then it got easier again.

The Knowler Hill marshall was missing by the time I got there, and I had to call a lass back who was carrying on up the hill.  Then I spoke to another one who had done the same thing and lost quite a bit of time.

Great race though, cracking marathon training run. Well organised and marshalled (apart from the one missing at the vital turn). Fairly pleased with 3.13 for a Steady-away effort, and at least ran it all! 

• i thought the water situation was ok. (did a few miles on the track so one before 7miles would have been welcomed though!)

on a hot day it wouldnt be enough imo

the juicer, after about 5 miles i thought the flat section was imminent - it never arrived!

legs feel it today image
    absolute gem of a race. definitely on the calendar next year and will be dragging people along!