Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• EG sorry to hear you won't be able to do it. But I'm sure the weekend will be well worth it all even if you don't run. Scotland is so beautiful and especially if you get out and about on your bike... I hear there are loads of good trails you can cycle.

If you want to meet up one day for a bike ride or anything let me know. I'll be there until Tuesday morning and I have my MTB with me.

• I'm looking to take my bike as running is out, I get there Saturday lunch and leave Monday, I'll check out any trails that would be good
  • Elli - by the way Arnica working a treat,

• Erm 2 weeks. 2 days and 15hrs till the marathon and my legs just feel exhausted! Hopefully my taper refreshes them!

13hour shifts are taking toll on my legs especially my knees I'm shattered ... Some words of encouragement please

Cheers people!
  • Hi SNB... Hope I can be of some help ! 

Listen, have confidence in yourself  you have trained hard and now you are feeling it, which is about right at this stage.

You WILL be fine ! 

13 hr shifts is not great, but hopefully you can rest those weary legs (raise them) on the breaks?

Give yourself some TLC... a Radox bath works wonders on tired legs, eat well and hydrate enough.

If you are in pain take a pain killer, I rattle with them and couldn't manage without them !

Enjoy the taper ! 

• Hi people, after a superb 19+m run some 12 days ago was flying and then got floored with Laryngitis and off work for few days. Finally back yesterday and today with 10m each day. Legs shattered as well so am pretty dejected by it now. Will go but had hoped for under 3.50 for first time in 2yrs but can kiss that one goodbye.

SNB - legs always go that way leading up to a run, plenty of time to bring them back round and maintain the fitness.

Good luck to everyone. EG I am gutted for you. Been there. Keep your chin up

• SNB - Berlin Bolt is spot on. Eat well, hydrate, rest and sleep when you can!!

You've fone the training and you have got the determination, one big effort on the day and then you can sleep for a week, well maybe a few extra hours!!

Happy resting!!

• SNB - My legs are tired too - I am almost 2 weeks into my taper and they are feeling better already. Did 2.5 miles this morning and 10 minutes easy on my exercise bike - the bike really helps to relax and ease the aches in my legs, low resistance and just a nice steady pace. having the odd break from the diet helps too - can't beat treating yourself once in a while!!

Happy taper!!

• Stevie thanks seems to be improving now I've given up, I'm concentrating on swimming and biking and even signed up for the druridge bAy skinny dip world record, and mwho knows it may be worth the loch ness trip after all
  • SNB- I second the bike,it really eases the legs. A couple of weeks with v little running and you will feel great. Mid august I had done 6 weeks in a row of long runs at the weekends, all over 17miles, and yes I paid the price in injury but I remember that it was getting harder and taking longer each weekend. A couple of weeks cross training and my legs felt amazing and I was managing a minute per mile faster without even trying. Please draw a bear on your race number so we can try and find you on race day.

John- the odd treat, I'm on daily cake hereimage

So what is everyone planning milage wise for the weekend?

• Biking only for me, but feeling good after the week, the race may come too soon but never give up,

• SNB - The others have already said it, but tired legs show that you've been training hard. They'll probably feel at their most tired and sluggish the day before the race, but it's amazing what a bit of adrenalin on race day can do. You just have to trust the taper.

I've got a 10 mile race this weekend (a hilly off-roader) and then I need to cut right down for the next two weeks.

Not sure what I'll do with myself once LNM is over. I've started to think about an ultra, but the extra-long weekend runs look daunting. I keep thinking I can manage it, but one schedule I looked at included 2rs on a Saturday and 3-4 on a Sunday. Yikes!

Alternative is to try to get my 10K time down. But I don't really like speedwork either. I'm going to wait and see how I do in the marathon before making any decisions.

• Hi folks thanks - I'm going to try cycling to take the ache out the legs as you all have recommended

And I'll try draw a bear but I'm no artist! Going to up my water a little in the hope it helps a little too
  • 8-10 miles for me this weekend. Very slowly though with maybe 15 minutes on the bike to relax the legs.

MSTH - had cake, biscuits and wine today!! Last day on the old job so had to celebrate, start the new one on Monday. 16 days to go, can't wait now - far too excited.

Hoping to do Preston Guild half after LN on 28th Oct - that reminds me I need to sign uo.

Happy taper everybody!!

• Lovely sunny, still morning here in Berkshire, 4 miles completed this morning. 15 mile run tomorrow nice and steady.

Who's betting on a fine still day on the 30th? wishful thinking..

j o 5 -  Good luck entering Preston Guild half on the 28th Oct - I'm in for the Windsor Half marathon on 7th Oct. Done this race many times ( My mug shot is on the home page of  www.runwindsor.com  giving a high five to my daughter. It's  been on the website since 2008 ! ) It's amazing how 13 miles feels almost a breeze after running your socks off doing 26 miles.

Can fully understand our Mo giving it a rest and not running the GNR..

Many years ago when I ran my Marathon PB of 2.48 it was all new to me, training twice a day 50/60+ miles a week was breaking new grounds for myself -  tiring but exciting..tech running shoes were just starting up & not as complicated to choose as now. Sports drinks and Gels were not around then. Water & pieces of banana/sweets did fine !

Massage afterwoulds, I should be so lucky !

Now I'ts great fun with the volume of runners -  all with the same goal.

The Running Boom has come a long way since the 80's and with time and knowledge races for us runners has become fun and exciting.

Having a break from running cycling/swimming instead is a great idea and refreshes the tired legs and stops you getting bored.

Now's the time to plan ahead in the calender and not stop after the marathon, keep  the momemtom going.

Good golly I'm hungry for that bacon sandwich & piece of coffee cake ! image 

• Last 20 miler for me tomorrow, then let the taper begin! imageimageimage

• Run my 7 miles this morning on way to work at 6am!! A bit dark but it soon brightened up - really windy today tho!

Berlin Bolt I was intrigued about what you looked like so I had a look at your link ... I'll now try remember what you look like while I'm up in inverness!

Decided to go swimming last night and has already done wonders! I woke up this morning for the first time in ages with no acheyness hopefully signs of things to come!

Happy tapering folks!
  • I am supposed to be out doing 17 miles, but am sitting eating bacon sarnie- maybe later, when it's gone down!

I'm not sure 17 is wise, antway- I thought that I might keep it down to 14 instead,dunno, see how dead the legs feel at 7 miles, and eitherturn round, or keep on going!

• SNB - the cap and glasses hide the bald head, so now you know you are looking for a bald headed, wrinkled old git!  That's what 32 years of long distance running does to you! I'll look out for your artistic skills. Are you going to the Pasta Party? I'll be there with my wife, we're leaving the kids at home for the first time - another thing to worry about! I should be wearing a Royal British Legion running vest on race day, if it comes in time.

Tricialitt - sorry I mentioned the bacon buttie! Good running fuel though!

Going to put my feet up now and prepare for 15 tomorrow ( miles not bacon butties!)

• Bacon butties for me this morning - day off training after 4 days light training. 8/10 miles tomorrow see how I go. Warm doen on the exercise bike howevr far I run. Knees verry saw this morning - played table tennis for 10 minutes yesterday and knees are aching like mad now, won't be doing that again, was only supposed to be a bit of fun at work!!

BB - I've been runnung since I was 11 - that's 44 years now - no wonder my knees are wrecked!!. Things definitely improved since the eighties with the 10k's and HM's. Better orgainised, better support, better everything really.

15 days to go so happy taper to everybody - almost there!!

• signed up for preston guild half today - 4 weeks after LN so should be good to get back into the serioud running - not that I take it too serious of couse!!

It's only about 10 miles away compared to the 360 miles from Chorley to Inverness so no hotel costs!!

Watching x-factor - how sad is that for a 54 year old!!

Happy taper !!

• Haha aww I see ure tactics Berlin Bolt lol I am indeed going to the pasta party but will probably be going early (for a few reasons not to bore u) but not too sure on time!

I'll have to get practising how to draw a bear now!

Tricia, how did your run go today after the extra fuel taken on?
  • This will be my first marathon,got a half pb of 1.49.06 so have been training for a sub 4 time.Trainings went well and have done 3   20 milers with the last one being last weekend .12 or 13 tomorrow then 7 next weekend with some shorter stuff during the week.

Looking forward to it,im setting off at sub 4 pace and see how i feel at halfway ,its no big deal if i dont get sub 4 as i will be happy just too finsh my first one

• just off out to do 8/10 miles. Dull but dry morning - hope it's like this on the big day/

young cowboy - good luck on your first marathon - only advice I would give is take your time!!

happy tapering!!

• Good morning everyone. Also going for a slow 10 miler in sunny Hampshire today. ITB feeling tight again so just planning a hill-less route. This time in 2 weeks.................................

Imagining us all, al over the country getting in a last few miles today. So where is everyone running today?

• Decided to do something different this weekend- I'd missed an interval sesion during the week, so did intervals (just 4 of the planned 6 x 1k @ 5k pace) yesterday, and then LSR of 17 miles, in the most torrential rain, today- just in , warming up, - felt good. Did it without having any breakfast, just a cup of coffeee before I went out, and 1.5 packets of shot bloks enroute, plus water, - if  I can do that without too much of a struggle on tired legs, surely I'll be OK on the day.

I have usually done virutally nothing in the 3 weeks before a race, and I wonder if I've been over- tapering, my schedule calls for 13 miles next weekend! that REALLY seems too much, we'll see.

Of course, 5 weeks after LN,  I've a 31 mile race to do.......image- this MAY have been an error? Managed it last year, somehow, but I do find it very difficult to get back runnig after a marathon- usually takes 3-4 weeks befoe I really recover.

Now for more bacon buties!

• Best laid plans always go to pot ! planned my sunday run for 09.00 but then was unexpected Dad's taxi till 02.00 this morning, two teenage girls!! oh well gave me excuse to see the start of the GNR. One I have been meaning to do but never got round to,

jo5 running 44 years now, since the age of 11 - wow so are we looking out for a long haired beareded fella? (Forest Gump eat your heart out image )

young Cowboy welcome - I think reading the past threads you've picked a good 1st marathon , the training plan you're working to seems fine for a sub 4.00. I also would ditto jo5 advise " take you're time" tho. 

My eventual 15 miler took me down some country lanes but also over 2 different motorway bridges. Seems to be the sad norm around here now, never far from the motorway, kinda can't wait to run 26 miles in the countryside again.

Actually quite liked starting out at 11 am, felt more awake and warmed up. Mind you the Windsor Half (my local race) always starts at blooming 13.00! Just when I'm about ready for my full - monty Sunday roast image  

Talking about food. We've booked our post race, well earned (hopefully) evening meal at the Dore's Inn pub for 18.30, ( Even if the wife carries me ) Don't know what the grub's like but I'll be starving and would eat road kill after a Marathon! It would be great to meet up with anyone, if you don't have plans already?

Tricialitt hope you enjoyed your bacon buttie -  they're soooo good. Had mine a bit later this time after the run. Yummmy !

Agree also after a marathon I'm pretty sick of running and hate even looking at my running shoes, so when home I hide them out of vision..maybe a good idea cause they smell. image Well thats what 'her indoors' says.

Loving this taper..best part of this marathon lark. 

• Berlin Bolt ... I'll probably still be 'running' at 18:30!

But I'm meeting family so probably a chippy and couple of tins for me tbh - I can see me being a little grumpy and tired
  • I always thought thta I'd be wanting food and beer after a marathon, but so far I've struggled to eat/ drink much at all after the race- usually manage some crisps and FRIJJ chocolate milk, but that's about it , can't usualy stomach a meal that evening- odd, a lot of other folk seem fine. Dunno why it is? Any ideas?