Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• Morning folks! Good to see plenty of support for H4H! A truly amazing charity for amazing people!

I myself decided to run for the the chartiy 'Stand By Me' (previously Kids Alive UK)

Coming to the end of 13/14 hour shifts so can't wait to get 6 miles run tomorrow after work - another shift on sunday then feet up and relax as much as possible while trying to eat totally clean for the last week to give myself the best possible chance!

Any last minute tips on how to ensure I'm in best shape in 9 days time?

Enjoy the taper people!
  • I'm feeling a bit despondent this morning. My small club holds a handicap run once each month and leading up to a marathon I normally get quicker each time. But last night I ran a lot more slowly than the month before which doesn't bode well for Loch Ness. Hopefully it's just because I ran a hard 10 mile race last Sunday and my legs still have time to recover. Fingers crossed that the taper does its job, but it's difficult knowing that the only thing I can do is rest (which is not one of my strong points).

• It plays with your mind, this taper business. I know i'm fitter than i was when i did my last marathon in 2009 but i also know mentally i'm not as string having been dogged with injury.

Doing a 10k on sunday and think i'm just going to ditch the garmin and be guided by my breathing. I'm not sure whether i should 'go for it' and try to get a good time or just pootle round and get the miles in. I think if a go for it but don't do a good time i'll knock my confidence and add to negative thoughts. If i have a good run it may well boost me for next week. Really don't know what to do .

• Splodge - I'm going to run 10k on Sunday, not a race just a training run. Not going to wear my watch though, just going to stroll round and admire the scenery!!

Legs feeling ok - still a few minor aches and pains but not too bad. Hate the taper though, just want to do a long run - only 9 more sleeps to wait now.

This time next week I will be there!! 360 mile journey, in the back of the car sipping water eating jelly babies!!

Happy resting!!

• John, i'll be there from Thursday. Can't wait really. so excited about doing a bit of sight seeing too.

I think just chill and go with the flow is the order of the day from now until the actual day image

• Splodge - couldn't agre more - no point in doing any ore hard work and risking injury, the rest will do us all good too!!

Going for my race hair cut this morning

Happy resting!!

• Afternoon all, steady 10 miler run this morning 1.21. Felt good to stretch out : ) should of run this tomorrow but bad weather forecast -  no shying away from that next week!!

Now for the taper/taper -  shan't be running any mileage longer than 4 miles for me next week, how about everyone else's plans?

30th Sep is also the Berlin Marathon, lucky runners have got it easy with no hills to climb, what a load of softies.image 

Enjoy the rest.image

• Hey Berlin I'm doing about 6ish today when I finish my work then gonna have a chinese for dinner b4 eating clean all week so looking forward to it now ... I'll post later to say how my run goes but planning on super slow!
  • Hey SNB - have a good run & well earned chinese - me, I'm having a Ruby Murray with plenty of chillies & a cold beer, great race prep food !

Also I might add It's my last curry before the big day - so's we're all safe !!! image

• I did a quick interval sesion today- blasts the cobwebs out after a week at work, - tomorrow, or monday I will do about 10 miles slow, then it's virutally nil until race day. I just ran a comparison of this race vs my PB marathon ( 3:56) in terms of trainig ( there's athingy on Ftech which does this automatically)- surprisingly, I've done MORE mileage this time- not by much, but I really thought I was slackening, so that's a confidence boost.

I'll be eating curries, drinking beer, and generally not looking aftermyself proprtly al week- as long as my wednesday night on call doesn't turn into an all - nighter on my feet, I'll be fine. The odd dietary indiscretion, and little bit of booze don't seem to have much effect.

• I'm already eating what I want - been for an italian breakfast this morning - very nice!!

6 miler in the morning - 3X30min sessions in the week all nice and gentle - nothing after Thursday until the big day. I am officially over excited - not good or a 54 year old!!

Have a great week everybody. 8 more sleeps

Happy taper!!

• Wow a week of not checking the forum and its exploded. Hello to everyone who has joined. Well done everyone for getting this far, sounds like some impressive last minute training has gone on this week. I started the week with a coldimage so had to take 3 days off but back to it on wednesday and have my last run tomorrow of 6 miles with my friends husband who is running LN with me. I have decided not to do anything next week as last month had an injury and had to take a week off and when I restarted I felt amazing so hoping the same will happen now.

John, Tricialitt and SNB I will be thinking of you all this week as we head into taper. I am really looking forward to running LN with you all. Your stories and advice have been an inspiration to me.

Happy taper everyone. 8 days to go ................

• I did my first 6 miler for over three months since injury, so my mileage now totals 12 miles or four miles per month for the three I've been injured, leg and hip now feel really  good and very tempted to stroll it next week to get ready for Chester the week after

• After last Sundays run ,i had a wee niggle in my right achillies,not painful too run on but just not feeling right if that makes sense.

4 days rest and lots of icing and gentle stretching later i went on a 4 mile plod last night and pleased too say theres a big improvement although its not quite a 100 per cent yet.Another 3 short runs and am good to go for my first marathon.

Apart from the niggle my legs felt really fresh and springy last night,so removes my doubts i had about a 3 week taper.

Looking forward to this and this time next week i will be in my hotel room probably boring my partner to tears in nervous anticipation.

Maybe cap the sub 4 dream for this one and just get round comfortably in 4.15-4.20

• JO 5

An Italian breakfast in Chorley? - sounds very posh!

What's up with Marsdens pies!!!
  • 6 mile stretch of the legs earlier in 54.59,bang on what my original MP was going to be.Didnt check the watch once and went by feel,so i suppose im finally getting homed into this pace after months of practice.

Achilles felt a wee bit tight first few miles but soon eased off and finished nice and comfortable.

This time next week ill be able too say that im a marathoner,after years of being a flat lazy drunken ,cocaine snorting numpty.Rather proud of myself  tbh

• MSTH - It has been great sharing our hopes, fears and advice over the last few months. I have never prepared so well for a marathon and a great part of that is down to you, tricialitt SNB and others. I am really looking forward to it now and I just hope that all of the hard work results in a good run for all of us!!

MB2- Sorry to disappoint but the itailian breakfast was in Wilmslow - to be honest I am more of a pie man though!!

Last full training session this morning - 6 miles and a warm down on the exercise bike - about 60 minutes altogether so that was good, feel nice and fresh although desperate just to get on with it now!!

3 more light sessions next week - 20 minute run with 10 minute warm down on the bike. Can't decide whether to do Monday to Wednesday or Tuesday to Thursday - all comments would be gratefully received!!

Anyway this time next week.....................

Happy taper and see you all next week. I'll be the one at the finish looking knackered with a smile on my face..............hopefully!!

• young cowboy - sounds like you are ready now for your first marathon - take it from an old marathoner just take your time at the start, the elation of completing your first marathon is one of the best experiences I have ever had. This will be my last one, the old legs just can't take the amount of training anymore.

I will still do the half marathons just to keep fit but to be honest running a marathon is a different sport altogether, you have to do the training but you have to be mentally strong and the best way to do that is take it easy at the start. Trust me at some point your hear will tell you to stop!!

Have a great run everybody !!

• Back from 7miles at marathon pace, wearing the appropriate botle belt loaded with all gels, etc that I will take on the day. Did a few tiny hilly bits too- am worried that I haven't tapered enough, my legs feel very tired after. Think I'll just do a spell of uphill walking on the tready later in the week, plus a recovery run for 30 mins or so on thursday or so.

Not much we can do about it now- need to sit doen and decide my race pace, but with the steep downhills at the start, I've always had a fast first few miles, so very dificult to judge.

Take it easy everyone, we;re nearly there!

• Hi everyone,

sounds like the taper is going well. did a 10k today and decided just to go with the flow. I didn't really push for a time but ended up with a PB by 46 seconds so feel really good now.

Bring it on!!!

Good luck everyone. I run with 'almost athletes' cheltenham. and as hills are my worst nightmare my fiance has bought me a new vest with the slogan 'It's a hill, get over it' on the back. If you see me walking the hills please just tell me to relax and enjoy it and get my arse in gear image

• Was meant to go for a run today, felt a bit scratchy throat so decided not to run in the rain....week to go either I will do it or not and an extra 5/6 miles the week before will make little difference - thta is right isn't it (feeling very nervous before my first!!)

BTW anyone staying at the Glen Mhor hotel, got a last minute cancellation via the marathon website.

• I'm feeling a bit guilty about overdoing it at a party on Saturday night. Not so much the booze as the amount of rubbish I ate and not getting home until around 2:30am (when my normal bedtime would be around 10pm. Still, at least there's a week to recover and to try to keep the pounds off for one more week.

Rest today, 4miles tomorrow, 5 Wed (marathon  pace) and 3 Thurs. Then a short 3 miles on Sat to loosen the muscles and I'm all set (fingers crossed).

• I never know whether the running in the last week is worth while- I have never really done anything much in the last few days- maybe that's wrong, but I struggle to see how these short runs help. Dunno, perhaps I'll try doing 1 or 2.

Must try to find my hotel booking confirmation email- can't even remember where I'm staying!-Ah found it!- Best western- apparently last year they let people back in there to use the showers, even if not staying the night after- here's hoping- 'cos the showers in the grandstand are a bit crowded after the run.

• I prefer to run a little in the week leading up to the race or my muscles would just seize up and the full race would come as too much of a shock to the system. It's down to personal preference though.

• I'm with you Lemony - I think it stops me from thinking too much about the actual run!!

• Talking about thinking too much I can't decide what pace to set off at. Should I set off at 9m 45s pace or do I go a bit quicker or a bit slower. Most of my long runs have been at 9.30 pace. Lot's of speedy downhills in the first part of the race so just worried about going too fast too soon especially with the big hill at 18/19 miles. I MUST do a PB this time, it's my last marathon for definite and I MUST have a PB. Oh well, I'll just stop panicking now, whatever I plan I probably won't put into practice anyway.

6 more sleeps - always assuming I will actually get some!!

Happy sleeping!!

• just had a look on the marathon website and it says there are almost 4000 runners - here's me thinking I was doing a small marathon - even more excited now!!

going bed now - goodnight!!

• Almost 4000 runners!!! I'm number 1770! I looking forward to it now but disaster has struck and my Ulcerative Colitis has decided to flare up ... Brilliant! Gonna go to the docs today and hopefully get some quick calming meds or I'll be at EVERY toilet stop on the 26mile route lol

How is every1 feeling ... Is it usual to have tired heavy kinda achey legs while tapering? If not any idea how to fix them?

Not long to go now happy taper people

Oh JO5 I have no idea my pace I don't have a fancy GPS so my speed is SLOW and at the halfway point its SLOWER then at the finish its SLOWWW
  • A successful weekend - final long run of 9 miles on Sunday and happy to report tentonitis in foot didn't flare up. Felt long run was more of a reassurance than anything else - I CAN DO THIS! No plans for pace - taking it easy for 1st half and just aiming to make it to the end.

Focusing on rest this week - with 1 or 2 short runs more for mental preperation than anything else. Lost of stretching and chilling out too. 

Nervous and excited - just want to get to the start line now. The waiting beforehand is torture!