Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• Skispeedqueen

I'm trying sub5.

I've no idea what to expect. I could so anywhere between 4:40 to over 5 hours depending on things.
  • MSTH-went for a wee test run tonight and the achilles feels fine,so im good to go for Sunday,cant wait and really looking forward to it,although i have scrapped the sub 4 plan and being a bit more conservative .

4.15 pace is what im thinking just now,

Have a great race guys

• morning all, just aiming to try and finish as this is my first. Already in Aberdeen and getting the train up later.....weather is pretty nice - light airs, 11/12deg and sunny!!

• That's me on route from Falkirk so should make. Registration with no worries at all

Final carbs getting put In so bring on the relaxing journey

Must remember to pick up safety pins and imodium on route!
  • Immodium- the runners friend!- don't worry- they will probably give you pins.

Am setting off now from Glasgow- good luck all!

• Hopefully cos Tesco has sold out! Loving the scenic drive up in this weather! Eta 1630 for me
  • tricialitt have a great run tomorrow wish i was up there with you allimage

• Great, they gave us pins, I forgot pins
  • That's me. Just arrived had a wee walk and now having some food at the pasta party - its actually pretty nice!
  • How amazing was that!

Hard from 20 onwards but a PB - much more I ever dreamt of!
  • And may I say I absolutely love the t-shirt!
  • I loved it!!!

Today I 'run' a 5:43:15 and I really chuffed with that! Considering 25 weeks ago I couldn't run for 30 mins

I am gonna do it again next year to beat 5:30 (which was my original guessed time) thank you to every1 for helping me along my training ... How did everyones runs go?
  • I had a spectacular nosebleed at about 10 miles- had to walk for a while, then run for next 10 miles with hankies stuffed up 1 nostril- makes it impossible to eat anything and still breathe!.

Given that level of drama, I'm happy with 4:18.03- especially as I was flying from 20 miles onwards- this muxt be the only marathon I've ever run where I've not walked AT ALL in the last 6 miles. Looks like a negative split, too!

BAck home in Dumbarton now, - bit stiff after sitting in the car, but otherwise all good. Our hotel let us back in, ( despite having already checked out) for a shower in the "spa"- I rackon they got a good price for it, as I also had a beer before leaving.

A good day!

• Well done Elli and SNB!

• Well done everyone! SNB, that's an amazing acheivement! Great that you enjoyed the experience too! Well done on the PB Elli! And Tricia, that's great that you made it through for a good time despite the nose bleed. 

I wish I could say that I flew the last 6 miles! I hit a wall after the hill at mile 18.5 and really slowed down and struggled to the end. At the time I wanted to cry, now I'm feeling much happier about my time.

We had great weather! Although that wind in the last half mile was tough, so glad we didn't have that against us the whole way!

I love the t-shirt too! And it's a great medal! Really like that we got food afterwards too, what a great value marathon.

Happy recovery everyone!

• Thanks Tricia and Trippy I had a great experience thanks - I just realised I got a t shirt my head was everywher when I finished! The tshirt and medal look fantastic but my fiancee says I've a lot of persueding to do to be allowed to do another mara ... She thinks at over 17 st I'm not built to be a distance runner pahh I had great fun! (Apart from thinking I was on for a 7hour mara at mile 16 ... Stupid bloody watch!)

Elli that's a great achiement getting a new PB well done
  • Finished in 4:34:11 today. struggled between miles 10-14 for some strange reason but gave myself a shake and kept on moving. made a friend at mile 21 who really kept me going to the end - she wouldn't let me slow down or stop to walk. Some of those hills were absolute monsters - but felt much better that of others were power walking up them too!

Congratulations to everyone who took part today - fantastic achievement for us all image
  • well done everyone, SNB I was waiting at the finish line from 530 to 630 to try to spot you. I cheered everyone on, shouting like a loon to' keep going, the end is in sight' I must have seen you and not realised it was you.Well done.

Laura, Triciallit, well done to you too. It was a really tough run and we finished it, good times too.

I did the rookie error of going off too fast and pulled my left quad at mile 17,lost all power in it,I didn't stop but it was the most agonising 9 miles of my life ,almost crying in pain but I still managed 4.27.The most amazing experience, quite sad its over.

I wonder how Jon and John got on? Eli, what was your time?

• Great day, well done everyone, lovely place did anyone notice The particularly annoying man on a mountain bike who kept getting in the way as he was following certain runners about, around the 5 hour timing mark
  • there were quite a few cyclists particularly on the stretch beside the Loch - bit annoying really! not one of them offered me a lift!image
  • Well I got there in the end - all going well till the Dorres hill and then had a bit of a nightmare from then on. 4.57 for me after being bang on my target time at half eay (2.13) - still a 10 minute PB on the toughest course I have ever run a marathon on. Took me 60 minutes to do mile 18-22!! Was very emotional at the end , cried my eyes out, what a wuss for a 54 year old!! Just so glad to finally beat 5 hours, actually 50 minutes better than Liverpoll last year.

Came 2122nd out of 4000 and 132nd in my age catagory so that's a good indication that it wasn't too bad. Thougth that was a nice touch to get a text quite soon after the run.

Absolutely loved it though, the scenery and the organisation were by far the best I have known. Well done to everybody. That's definitely my last marathon, can't seem to get past 18 miles without feeling totally drained. Preston half next for me in 4 weeks - complete rest this week as my legs are shot at this morning - so glad I booked the day off work

• Well done everyone, brilliant achievement especially SNB.  I really enjoyed myself and was flying alone until 19 miles at just under 3 hours, the last 7 miles were a struggle but I am pleased with 4 hr 28m. Great day and great experience and I feel surprising good today!!! Thanks for all the advice and support during the last few weeks whilst I have been wobbling!!!!!

• Jon, you came in seconds after me. What do you look like? We must have been near each other. Probably when you came in I was sitting by the kerb just over the finishing line trying to breathe!

• John, well done. I agree those last 7 miles were a killer, I saw people flaking every few minutes, that hill finished so many people off. My friend who went up with me was looking for a sub 4 and came in at 4.01, how gutting to come so close. He spent the next 3 hours close to passing out though with sheer exhaustion.

• MSTH I prob did hear you but as the announcer said 'you can see that he's really hurting now' I had zoned everything else out just to keep going haha I'm 6ft 5 17st and was in a red tshirt ... Sounds like you had an interesting one tho! Pulling your quad with 8 to go must of been pure agony!

JO I also am a giant wuss as I couldn't stop the tears over the finish line either - just don't tell my rugby friends! I came in 2449 place so really happy about that too although was 920th in my category ... But hey it was my first!

Absoloutly loved the txt - I left my phone at the hotel but knowing exact time that soon straight to my phone just finished my day of perfectly

JG well done! It was a bit of a nightmare seeing the finish but still having to run away from it to come back towards it!

MSTH your friend must be gutted! They'll have to go back next year to break the 4hrs!
  • Great run by everybody - I have so much help over the last few months, when I wanted to jack it at 22 miles that and the support from my wife and friends kept me going. At 22 miles I didn't think I had a chance of a PB never mind beating 5 hours but I managed to find an extra bit of determination to get there. Still can't believed I was crying at the end and then again about 20 minutes later - I know I gace 110% of everything I had so you can't ask for more than that. Got terrible blistrers on my right foot, I think probably caused by the doenhill at the start, I was delibrately trying to slow myself down and still did the first 3 miles in 29 minutes. Got back last night about 11.30, still hyped up so I didn't go to bed till 2.30 this morning!! Thank god I booked the day off!!

I have never felt so exhausted after a race, wasn't sure if I was going to pass out or throw up or both!!

Fantastic marathon and I would definitely recommend it to anybody whether they were a a novice or a seasoned runner.

Happy resting!!

• tricialitt i think you passed me on Dores hill,you went past had a gel or something and then carried on looking strong.Were you in a red fetch top?

First marathon for me,sub 4 plan was binned due to an achilles niggle,so was looking for 4.15-4.20.Finished in 4.36.30.The wheels started to come off on the hill at Dores and adopted a run walk strategy till 23 miles.

Last 5k i dont know where it came from but i picked it up and finished quite strongly all the way to the finish.Was in agony but seemed to block it all out.

sore today but worth every bit of  pain

• I know have my PB and PW (Personel Worst) on the same Marathon. 3:13:08 in 2010 and now 3:39:14 this year. I am happy with result though as I didn't train and we raised a lot of money for Erskine house. 

First half in about 1:35 and felt good up until 17-18 miles then started to hurt anf then at 22 miles had EPIC cramp in my left hamstring whcih made the last 4 miles hellish.

I've done 8 marathons now and had cramp in every single one, I have tried everything I can think of or find on google, supplements, diet, electrolyte gels, compresson leggings and while they have helped nothing has sorted it completely.

I think the only way i could combat this would be to actually train right up to 26 miles.

Anyone know of any tricks to help? any ideas would be appreciated. image

• How many runners were there? I heard 8000 then I heard 40 000.

I'm sure it wasn't that many
  • Elli - They said 4000 at the start line which looked about right to me although it's hard to tell. Starting to recover at last, still aching legs and my right shoulder (previously dislocated so usualyl have some pain with it). Worst is the blood blister on my middle toe of my right foot, it looks twice it's normal size.

Still can't believe the views, the first proper view of the Loch at about 7 miles was just amazingly good.

Spoke to a really nice lady on the bus, she was doing her 2nd marathon, normally does triathlon's - hope she had a good run!! She was telling me that it costs £450 to do the Bolton Ironman - unbelievable.

Might have a beer tonight before I start the prep for the Preston half- no training until next week and only then if the blood blister's are sorted out!!

Back to work tomorrow - what a downer, at least it will only be a 4 day week.

Happy recovery!!