Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• 16 miles for me this morning - 2.23. Still a bit too quick but learning to run more slowly at last. Need to get to 9.30 pace instead of 9 minutes - that will then be fine for the marathon as long as I put the miles in over the next few months and I can stay healthy.

Off on holiday now to sunny Italy (well at least I hope it's sunny). Chilling with family and friends in the sunshine having a few beers is what life should be all about!!

Happy traing to everybody - won't run now until 31st May!!

• Kenny_yan

How did you do( I got held up in the car after going out for a take away indian) trying to cross Sinclair Street heafing toward upper Helensburgh (where I live) Never done that 10k but done the half

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

just back from a holiday, and was recovering a bit after Lochaber marathon, but managed out today for 2.5 hours- hilly route. so distance not great, but my next marathon is a SERIOUSLY hilly one- Strathearn- june 10th, I'm hoping that it wil help me get over my problem with the hills at Loch Ness, plus I have att least one ultra planned for the later prt of the year, so need to build up beyong mara distance.

• 3:30 or bust wrote (see)

Kenny_yan

How did you do( I got held up in the car after going out for a take away indian) trying to cross Sinclair Street heafing toward upper Helensburgh (where I live) Never done that 10k but done the half

Just over 48 mins which is about average for me.

It was only 10 days after Belfast Marathon so I wasn't sure how much juice would be left in the legs, but it was a worhtwhile session. Would be nice to PB in one of these or the MHFS 10k if I enter.

Is Strathearn very hilly Tricia? pondered entrering it but didn't fancy the prospect of doing a marathon on a warm summer day.

• Hi all,

Signed up for Loch Ness - it'll be my first marathon, and my first race of any description since school (10 years ago).  I'm looking forward to it and I'm doing my best to stick regimentally to a training schedule.  I figure it's best to have faith in a schedule and trust its effects.

So I've been running for less than 2 weeks, and my schedule had me run 10k on Saturday - nearly destroyed me but I did it.  Also had a fairly hefty hill midway through, which will be good training for Loch Ness I guess!  Took me 58 minutes - don't know if I'm trying to get round too quickly, because it left me feeling rough.  I want to get a sub-4-hour time at Loch Ness but I realise that's quite ambitious with a relatively short amount of time to train for it.

• DD - thats erm alot better than me!! ive decided to do it as my first aswel but im 5 weeks into my training and still only running 3ish miles!!! ive went a bit more conservative with my target and will be aiming for around a 5:30 time, but tbh if i finish i'll be happy for breapopping my cherry!

• I figure that I have to trust my schedule even if that means feeling terrible a few times after long runs; that's going to mean running longer than feels 'natural' or even 'comfortable'.  Otherwise, just completing Loch Ness will be beyond me!

I'm quite looking forward to when my short runs start feeling like a breeze!  Still seems like it's a long way off but I guess it's 2 weeks gone, 18 to go...

• I drove the route a few weeks ago and ther are a few hills to train for but i cant wait! got a few weeks before my plan starts to up the mileage and my longest run is 20 miles 3 weeks b4 the mara so lots of time to train

DD- 10k in 58 minutes at your stage is good going. To target sub-4 you need to be able to run at that pace for 4 times as long. DON'T concentrate on running fast just now, sounds like speed is not going to be an issue for you, build up your miles, and run SLOWLY, or you'll injure yourself. Apparently the highest risk of injury is at about 6 weeks into trainig, because you feel so much fitter that you push up the mileage- so HOLD BACK, sub-4 is tough at Loch Ness for a first one- I missed by about 1 minute the second time- GRrrrrrrr.

Kenny- yes Strathearn has the tag line "are you nuts?"- I think it is deliberatley hilly, just to be different. I'll be going very slow!

• Thanks for the advice.  I do worry that I'll do myself an injury... at the moment (3 weeks in) I am getting a fair bit of shin pain (I often got shin splints as a kid) and pain in the top of my thigh, just below the hip (I have no medical knowledge but a Google search suggests it might be my tensor fasciae latae or my sartorius - if that means anything to anyone!)  Either way, the only way I can describe the way it feels is like a 'knotting' pain.

I'm sticking to a schedule so the mileage will come naturally, but my natural instinct seems to be to try and do everything ridiculously quickly!  I don't exactly what an optimum speed to be running at is... I've been completing short runs (3km) at an average speed of about 12km/h, slightly longer runs at about 11km/h and my comparatively long runs at 10km/h.  This too quick, to begin?  Better to concentrate on just getting round comfortably for the moment?

A friend of mine suggested having some gait analysis done; I wouldn't even know where to begin though (ie. where to go, who to see, what I'll end up inevitably paying for the service).  I do think I have an awkward gait though; once I get tired especially I think my posture and gait really suffer!

• tricialitt wrote (see
    Kenny- yes Strathearn has the tag line "are you nuts?"- I think it is deliberatley hilly, just to be different. I'll be going very slow!

Not a PB course then!image

Might be one to consider in the future, but for now Loch Ness is about as hilly as I could cope with in my current state.

• After getting a new PB in London (3:18), I've decided that I'm up for another marathon this year so have just entered Loch Ness. Thanks for the tips about booking a hotel - normally I'd leave that until later, but guess I'd better get on with it.

I read all about the hill before entering, so doubt this will be another PB. But I don't mind hilly races in themselves and am doing this one more for the scenery. Hopefully it'll be worth the trip.

• Back from  my holidays - first time in Italy and was well impressed. Very hilly where we were - no running for me though just plenty of rest after all the prep I had been doing for the half marathons. Pleased with my last HM time of 1.48 - just outside my veteran best of 1.47

Back running already - really looking forward to this now. 17 weeks to go so plenty of time to prepare properly and slowly!! Already up to 16 miles as part of the HM training. Will do 2 more of them, 6 x 18, 6 x 20 and 1 x 22 mixing it up over the weeks, and that will leave 3 weeks for taper.

Plenty of hill training, gym work and tempo training during the week with the long runs at the weekend. That's the plan anyway. Just want to stay healthy and injury free.

Happy training everybody - enjoy the long weekend off if you are lucky enough to be off of course!!

Dicky D 10 kph is at the faster end of acceptable "long run" pace- try to slow down a little bit more as you are picking up the distances. 12kph is faster than you tempo (shorter run) pace needs to be too, but as long as you don't wreck yourself, it probably doesn't do too much harm, but don't try to run at that pace for much more than 20 minutes, or you'll end up knackered! You will soon be sub -50 for 10k, if you are regularly runnig at 12kph in training.

Not really following a sensible trainig plan myself, as I have the small matter of next weekend's marathon, then a 40 mile ultra, before I woory abou this one!

• 16 Miles for me tomorrow - hopefully slowly at about 2.30. Last 2 were at 2.16 and 2.23 which is too fast for a marathon for me.

Not being rigid with my training plan - just working up towards doing a 22 mile run 5 weeks before the run itself - if I can do that at 10 min mile pace I will be confident of doing a good run on the day. Doing plenty of hill training - when I move up past 16 miles I will add a steep local hill at mile 17 - hopefully that will be good prep for the run.

Just watching England on the box - not very inspiring!!

Enjoy the weekend.

• Funny you should mention the idea of going too fast... I don't know if perhaps I've done myself a slight injury today.  I ran 11km as per my plan and did fine (felt good in fact for most of it, barring the hill of course) and felt fine all afternoon until about two hours ago.  I'm getting a slight 'popping' feeling in my Achilles when I bend my foot upwards.  Tendonitis perhaps?  (Going on Googling the symptoms...)  Either way I don't really want to cut back or break my schedule if I can avoid it, but at the same time I don't want to damage it further.

Also, I got *drenched* today, it rained heavily for my entire run.  As a total rookie, the only jogging 'gear' I have is my trainers and an arm-strap for my iPod so I'm running in a cotton t-shirt.  Which soaked up all the icy water and made for an incredibly uncomfortable run.  I thought I was going to contract pneumonia.  I am beginning to see why people invest in thermals and lightweight waterproofs...

• Dicky D - I have that problem with my Achilles all the time - its fine when I am running/training but a nightmare when I'm going about day to day. I exercise it whilst I am watching TV!!

Definitely worth investing in a decent running top - I have always found New Balance to be very good and not too badly priced. Some of the more expensive races provide one at the end. Loch Ness are doing so. A decent waterproof is also a good idea. Running shoes are the most important - just bought my marathon trainers - will train with them starting next week so they are a comfy pair for the race. Got some ASICS(again) in the sale at Sports Direct (online) £38 knocked down fom £58 so weel chuffed.

• Which Asics?  Link please!  That's a great price.  I will definitely invest in some more; I have a decent pair of Nike shoes (they seem light, supportive and flexible enough to not have a 'blocky' feel, if that makes sense.  But I'll need another in time for the race though, I'd have thought.  So might get some while they're cheap.

I'll start looking out for extra bits and bobs in terms of running gear.  Might try and get a compression wrap for my heel to stop this Achilles issue - the more I look into it, it sounds like mild tendonitis, which - if I'm sensible - I should be able to control.

• http://www.sportsdirect.com/asics-innovate-2-mens-running-shoes-212073

These are the pair I have bought but theres plenty to choose from - I find Sports Direct to have the best prices and the delivery service is good. Ordered these on Wednesday and they arrived yesterday.

Your achilles definitely sounds like mine - a few exercises and a gentle warm up usually does the trick for me - walking downstairs after a long run is a nightmare for 24 hours mind. Mrs JO plays hell with me!!

• I've been doing a fair bit of skipping which seems to be doing my Achilles pretty well - I have a short run scheduled tomorrow though and I'll see how it feels then.  My legs are definitely getting stronger - as I say, I had no real base level of fitness to build on and there's certainly a bit more muscle definiton now.  But again, I think easy-does-it is the right attitude at the moment because I'll certainly damage myself if I'm not careful.

One other thought - any recommendations on energy drinks etc?  I've ordered some energy gels which I'll use on my longer runs but I was wondering what drinks people tend to use.  I've been reading that a lot of electrolyte drinks are actually quite crap compared to home-made ones, so I was thinking I might try doing that.  And do you tend to take a bottle with you?  I just figure that's kind of awkward for running...

On previous years at Loch Ness it's been lucozade sport and water given out. Find out whther this suits you- I've found I can stomach the lucozade if I thin it down 50:50 with water, or even with a nuun electroltye soution- so I carry a water belt, some nuun tablets, and mix it up as I go through the race- saves me carying my own, but also avoids the neat lucozade sport which defies digestion!

Gels are very much trail and error. Start practicing early, until you find one that suits, or give up on them all together! (clif shot bloks and sharkeys- sweets, or even percy pigs are an alternative if the Gels are no good)

• I use Tesco's own isotonic drink - raspberry flavour. Take it with me on my long runs. I will take 2 bottles with me for the marathon, one ful one half full. Can get rid of one at 8 miles. Use water for at the water stations too as well. Can't use gels - they always make me feel sick. Jelly babeis are ok but after a while they are murder to chew and actally eat - but maybe thats just me.

Did 16 miles yesterday - trying to slow down but was actually quicker than before my holidys!! Felt comfortable though. 1 more 16 miler then move up to 18 miles  for four weeks. Pretty settled on my midweek training now. 35 mins on my exercise bike this morning to help with the stiff legs. Hill training tomorrow - 1.5 miles uphill, 1.5 miles downhill and 2 miles on the flat. That means running up and downn the same hill 5 times!!

Enjoy the training!!

• Hello everyone, I am in the LNM and am about to start my 16 week plan. The undulations sound quite interesting so am glad to have found this forum.

• Okay so my 'skipping to stave off tendonitis' has backfired.

My right tendon was a bit sore... but by skipping I seem to have destroyed my entire left leg.  I can't even describe the pain, I've never felt anything like it.  It seemed to just appear and seems to be getting worse - any pressure (even from walking) is sending shooting pain up through my leg.  I actually tried running yesterday morning when it didn't seem too bad but that clearly didn't help - by far the most painful run I've done and even walking seems to be an issue.

Please note that I am prone to being melodramatic.  I'm sure it's just a sprain.  But I think that's me out of action for a week or so, which probably means playing catch-up soon.  Argh!

• Morning folks!

I've been out of the running 'scene' for a couple of years and getting back into it with the Loch Ness Marathon this year. Ran two marathons in the past with a PB of 4:16 at Edinburgh a few years ago, so my aim is to break the four hour mark.

My general fitness was pretty low when I started my training in April but feeling good now and dropped half a stone too (was carrying roughly a stone extra padding!). Up to nine miles for my long run this weekend and hopefully I'll feel as good as I did on my long run last week! Although this week has felt like a real slog and felt like I was running with weights around my ankles! And my damn shins are giving me some amount of hassle too!

Anyway, hope everyone has a great weekend and I look forward to following everyones up's and down's leading up to September 30th!

• Well thats me on an enforced rest for a few days. Got a bug - feel like chucking up bút not actually doing so. Oh well better now and not in 3 months time. Already got plent of miles in my legs so that should be good.

No training for me until Monday - just gonna chill with the missus!!

Happy training

I'm doing a very hilly raod marathon tomorrow, - Strathearn, will be VERY slow, then trying to recover/ bit more traiing before Clyde Stridee ultra in  july. Will start to think about Loch Ness after these, if I'm still able to walk!

Wish me luck............

Yay!- survived strathearn- a bit slower than usual, but it's nice to finish a marathon for the first time ever without having felt like just stopping and curling up in a ball by the side of the road at some point!-

I kept it deliberately slow at the start because of the hills ( 503 m of ascent, compared to LN's 300 M or so), so still had a fair amount of energy left by 20 miles, managed to keep a respectable pace at the end for about 4:31-and felt good enough at the end to enjoy the home baking laid on by the local organisers!

• Well done on getting round what sounds like a challenging course! 

• Well done indeed!

I've been comparing the ascents for Loch Ness with those of the Banbury 15 race which I did a few months ago. The hill at mile 17.5 looks challenging but manageable, so I shall add lots of hill training to my plan and hope for the best. Can anyone who's run the race tell me whether it feels more like a long slog than a particularly steep ascent? Not sure which I prefer - would just like to be prepared.