Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• Challenging but manageble is a fair description.

It's not something that loads of people will find impossible to get up, but it does feel rather long and psychologically it can be a bit daunting to get to a point where the road bends thinking "bet the top is just round this corner" only see another stretch of hill continue away out in front of you for another 1/2 mile.

I think that it's worth being aware that it is there, but not worrying that it's there. 

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

None of it is steep- just goes on for a bit. Some of the downhills near the start are steep enough to tempt you into going too fast, though!

I treid, and failed, to do the whole thing at a run on previous occaisions, and found it easier to take a walk/ run approach to it. Most people (in the 4-4:20 time crowd) end up either running it at about walking pace, or walking bits!

• I have to say that after maybe 17m you go through a lovely village, possibly Dores, and if you look between the gaps of the houses and into the distance and see the coloured t-shirts climbing the first section it looks scary. At least there is forums like this to give you the 'heads up' so to speak and you shouldnt get surprised by it. 

Train for the hills and you will be fine. Agree with Tricialitt, take it easy at the start and dont be tempted into bombing it. When it comes to the hill at about 18 does seem never ending but dont look up - helps me anyway!!

• I have put a big hill in mt LSR at 17 miles - hopefully doing that once a week will help. I always find the downhills the hardest - lots of pressure on the knees and always the danger of going too fast.

Back training tomorrow after a few days off due to minor illness. ^ miles on the flat in the morning so hopefully not too onerous.

Well done tricalitt!!

• 6 miles done with no ill efect so well pleased with that. The little break has hopefully done me good. 6 more in the morning.  Due to step up to 18 this weekend so that shoiuld be interesting!!  See how I feel on Saturday. Done 4 x 16 now so hopefully 18 won't be too bad 

Looking forward to visiting Inverness, never been that far north before. Some friends travelling up with us as well - only me runnung though!!

Happy training!!

• Thanks for the advice. I'm not too bad on hills (up or down) when I train properly. I managed 10 X one-third-mile steep hill this morning without any major problems and I usually add in at least one big hill to my LSRs so I'll try not to worry about this one.

• Sounds a bit like my training. I quite like the up hills (how sad is that). I do find the downhills more troublesome. Another 6 miles at pace for me this morning - was a lovely morning for running at 6am!!

8 miles tomorrow for me - just getting a few miles in during this week after a bit of time off due to manflu. Final 16 miler at the weekend - 1 week behind after a cold but will catch that up during july and august. 18 miles planned for next weekend - will put the steep hill in for that one.

Would like to do another race before LN but can't decide what to do. Might try warrington half as my last long run 3 weeks before the marathon - does that sound sensible?

Happy training

• Gone a bit quiet on this thread!!

Another 16 miles for me this morning in the pouring rain. 2.23 with 1.11 for first half and 1.12 for second half so pleased with that although still need to slow down a bit, although I could have done another 2 miles at that pace I reckon. First 18 miler next weekend - rest day tomorrow, well I might fo 30 mins on the exercise bike to help ease the stiffness in my legs, they are not too bad mind.

I am going to do Warrington HM on Sept 9th - do it at my planned marathon pace. Hoping to do 4,30 for LM. 2,10 first half and 2.20 second half so will aim for 2.10 at warrington (normal for me would be 1.48)

Then 1 will have 3 weeks of tapering before the bg day - Not looking forward to the 720 mile round trip, glad I will be a passenger and not doing any driving.

Happy training!!

John, I reckon 4:30 for marathon should be well within you capacity if you are a 1:48 half runner, especially as it sounds like you are building up the mileage well already. The half 3 weeks before sounds good, as long as you do it as a trainig run, at race pace, - I just think that it's very hard to do that, unless you have a slower runner to pace around.

I reckon you may well end up well under 4:30 for LN, though.

• I'd go with tricialitt, the Warrington half is a nice run 6 miles slight uphill and a gentle downhill stretch for the back end, until you hit the bridge that is (or should I say until the bridge hits you!) at 1:48 though you could reasonably be looking for 4:15 maybe less. I'm doing Warrington again, it will be my 4th and a nice warm up for Loch Ness and Chester

• Been a frustrating 10 days or so for me, while I've been waiting for my left leg to heal.  Still a lot of pain going on but going to try and get back on with training on Tuesday.  It is supposed to be my 'easy' week next week so I'll just pick up there even though I've missed some steps, rather than picking up where I left off.  We'll see how that goes I suppose!

• tricialitt and eg graam - thanks for the support. I have always struggled with the marathon, partly because I have not prepared properly and partly because I tend to run a bit too fast!! Consequently I have hit the 'wall' big time at 18-20 miles.

I have prepared much better so far this time - done 4 x  16 mile runs already, at less than 4 hour pace and theres still 15 weeks to go - just need to keep that going and I know I am capable of getting close to 4.15, 4.30 is just me being cautious.

The main reason for doing warrington is to convince myself I can run sensibly, providing I can do that I am sure I will get a PB of better than 4.30.

8 miles for me tomorrow - including a bit of hill training.

Happy training - 105 sleeps to go!! About 80 traing sessions

• John - I just want to add to what the others have said. Sub 4:15 sounds definitely doable, especially since it sounds as though you're going to get lots of long runs in. I'd normally look to race a HM two or three weeks before the marathon, but your strategy of running one at marathon pace to practice keeping the speed down sounds sensible if you normally go off too hard.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the Maidenhead HM or Medmenham 10 two weeks before LN. The former is a fast flat road race (so I can go for a PB) whereas the latter is a hilly off-roader that a few of my friends will be doing (good training, but definitely not PB potential). Decisions, decisions ...

• Lemony - that's it with running there's so many different ways you can prepare. I have always done well with the HM's but it is certainly a different ball game with the full. This will be my 4th so hopefully I will get it 'more right' this time!! Thought I had a long journey but Maidenhead to LN returm must take forever!!

Happy training!!

• Thanks for the hill report Scottish Bear image

This will be my first marathon and i'm starting to wonder if maybe I should have chosen a flat for my first! Oh well I can only give it a go!! Not expecting a good time, in fact i'm pretty sure they will be dismantling the course before I finish hehehe

Happy training!

Sarah- fear not, it's a great one for a first, and you'll enjoy the day!

•  Sarah - just enjoy the day. My first was London. Loved it even though it was very hot!!

Haappy training

• Quiet on here again!! 100 Days to go - it will be here before we know it!!

18 miles for me in the morning - hope the weather improves it's chucking down here!!

New trainers are great - £38 in the sale - ASICS are just the best. Even got some new running shorts for fathers day last week - very comfy indeed so big thankyou to my daughter.

Happy training!!

• I am a passive observer at the moment on this thread as I have a place but REALLY struggling with knee injury. Am (fairly) comfortable around ten miles but needing too long recovery between runs. I am not certain to be starting but hope that I can get there.

That said, if you have not run here before then you are in for a treat. I have run a few and this is without doubt my favourite - and I include Berlin and Edinburgh in this assertion

• May I just start by saying I'm now an uncle and I'm soo chuffed to have a little niece now image

Running my 6 miler tomorrow so furthest I've run to date! Missed my 3miler on thurs after knackering myself at a Blink 182 gig on wednesday night! - was epic tho!

Feeling good again though and going out tomorrow to hit around the hour mark for the 6 miles which would make pretty happy!

I know my mileage is low but sticking to my 26 week plan and hopefully make the marathon with good amount of prep under my belt!

When should I start thinking about taking water with me on a run? And things like jelly babies or gels? I hear at least 13 miles for the latter!?

SNB
  • Mate its all down to personal preferance. I never carry water but for a run of over 15m (depending on weather) will stick a £1 coin in my pocket and stop at a shop for a bottle then get back on the run. Not ideal but had some bad experiences with dehydration so that is my promise to my wife. As for jelly babies or gels, not my thing. 

Again, that is my personal opinion. Others will disagree. On day of run I do not take on water or anything else until about 17m as I dont do it training so dont change things on run day.

Good luck

I always take my water bottle with me, no matter how short the run. Just habit to keep sipping as I run. I would take a gel with me for a 2 hour run, but might not use it. Anything over 2 hours, I'll munch on gels/ percy pigs  from the start.

• SNB - congratulations on becoming an uncle. I 'm now grandpa to a granddaughter and grandson, 3 years and 8 months respectively. Being a dad is fantastic but a grandparent now thats something else.All the good bits and none of the responsibility - well maybe a bit!!

Steve4747 - I have knee problems too, or so I thought - turned out it was the thigh muscle that grips the knee - doctor told me to use an exercise bike a couple of times a week and I can't believe the improvement, don't have to wear supports any more!!

I never take any fluid with me apart from my long runs - 13 miles plus that is. I take an isotonic drink with me - just take a couple of sips every mile - works for me but doesn't mean it works for others of course. I like water on the organized runs to help me cool down, I don't do that on my long runs though - stange but true!! 

18 miles for me this morning - too fast again, I was knackered at the end - note to self SLOW DOWN!! Put a steep hill at 17 miles so pleased with that.

Out to my aunt and uncles 50th wedding anniversary tonight - might just have a few beers if I can persuade the missus to drive. I could offer to drive there!!

Really looking forward to the England game tomorrow - nor normally a big fan of the internationals but got into them this time. Still think it will be Spain v Germany final mind.

Happy training!!

• Anyone recommend a good marathon training plan, I'm doing around 30 miles a week at the moment, managed 13.1 miles this week in 1hr 55 mins (though struggling with upset tummy and diarrhoea) and I've signed up for the Loch Ness Marathon.
  • Craig - Try Liverpool Marathon or Loch Ness Marathon websites.

Might also be worth trying your local marathon (if you have one local to you of couse) - they might even have training sessions you can join in on.

Remember to stay flexible - marathon training gives aches and pains at the least expected times so you have to adapt your training accordingly.

18 miles for me again tomorrow. Trying to slow down (I know I have said that before!) If 1 can run 2.51 I will be much happier (2.43 last week)

Had a good week this week - bit of a taper week just to rest the legs and those aches and pains. Hopefully Murray will win quickly so I'm not to late going to bed. Want to be out by 7.30 in the morning.

Happy training!!

Oh dear JO- hope your late night tennis viewing didn't screw up your plans! Managed 2 hours yesterday, (slow) along the clyde walkway- in preparation for my 40 mile ultra in 3 (ARGHHH) weeks time. Need to taper now, then I'll need a bit of recovery time after the race, - that will leave me with about 6 weeks of training for LN, of which at least 2-3 will be the taper. Ho hum.................... I might be able to plod for miles, but not to mange anything as fast as marathon pace!

• 14 for me yesterday with the last 5 at MP,i make sure theres hilly sections when planning my long runs now as dont want to be found wanting at Nessie.First 9 miles @9.47 average,last 5 @9.03 average.All good but my legs were grumbling a wee bit in the last couple of miles.

Im doing my long runs off road on the Callander to Strathyre cycle path as i find it  helps keep the pace reasonable.Had to smother myself in midge repellant pre run as they are quite bad up here at the minute.

Whats everyone planning on doing as there longest run??i was gonaa go to 22 with 3 at 20 into the mix as well

• tricailitt - Murray could have won a lot sooner, was 8 before I got out this morning. Had a great run though - 18.1 miles in 2.54 - about 9.40 average and that includes the big hill at 17 miles so made up. Finally at a pace that I could run consistently and not be knackered at the end. Last mile was 9.20 so still had a bit left in the tank. 2 more like that then I will move up to 20 - intending to do 3 of them. followed by 18 20,22,20,18 before taper - like to tinker with the plan. Even tried percy pigs for the first time - well impressed with them!!

Really starting to think I can beat 4.30 for the first time.

Tricalitt - 40 miles, in one run, always thought the Scots were a bit mad haha

young cowboy - longest run 22 miles for me - will do 6x18 and 5x20. Never done that much before but have always hit the wall at 18-20 - hopefully not ths time. Longest training plan ever with more miles and more cross training ever too!!

just need to stay healthy and injury free.

Happy training!!

• Well I had my furthest run to date yesterday ... 7 miles! Not exactly something to shout about for seasoned runners but for me I'm chuffed! I decided to use steve4747's tip about taking a ??1 coin and picking up a bottle on the route (about 4 1/2 miles in) worked fine so happy enuf with that

I was on a night out on the friday and proceded to drink 2 bottles of red wine and 5 pints of Stella so waking up for my 5:30 breakfast after 2 hours sleep wasn't great! ... Back to bed till half 7 then out for the run

Over all happy with progress

Happy training

Oh tried to sign up for the 'forth road bridge 10k' today and out of the 400 places available I'm 403rd so on the waiting list pretty bummed about that
  • SNB - 2 bottles of red and 5 pints of stella sounds good to me. Just on my second bottle of stella watching Spain thrash Italy!! Good news is I got Spain in the sweep at work - £24, I'll have to make sure all that money doesn't go to my head. Buy a few bottles of stella mind, or might treat myself to a few buds.

Happy training!!