Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• I've signed up!!  I'll be joining you all on 30Sep for my 1st marathon.  Slightly scared - oh yes! a touch excited - definately!! 

I've been running for 2 years and have done a 10k and 2 halfs so now its time for the big one.  Hopefully I'll survive the training - I've been following Shades plan after a recommendation on another thread and so far really like it, totally works for my running and lifestyle

Looking forward to getting to know all of you and hearing how your trainings progressing.

• Welcome Heather! If you've read through all the posts so far you will find that by the looks of things I'm miles behind every1 elses training in terms of distance and pace but thought I'd say hi anyway

Happy Training!
  • I'm doing Loch Ness this year image

It was my first ever marathon back in 2008 and I panicked so much about being able to finish it that I just sort of blanked it out and did no training at all. Absolutely none. Ended up mostly walking from 16 miles but still got to the end eventually.

I'd like to say I'll put in a better performance this year but it's just two weeks after a 40 miler I've signed up for so don't think I'll be setting any PBs...

And yes, the hill at 18 miles is a bit of a monster. Although in my memory, it started at about 16 miles and went on to about 21 miles. I may be misremembering of course. But it was definitely an utter b***ard!

• hello again everyone, I haven't posted for a while but have been putting into practice the excellent advice I got earlier in the thread on distance vs speed.

Last weekend I ran my first 20 miler and you were right, the speed is coming all on its own. I'm still sticking to my 3 runs plus 2 cross training sessions schedule and still hoping (fingers crossed) for a sub 4 hour. At the moment I'm hitting 3.10 for 20 miles so lets hope thats reduced in 12 weeksimage

soooooooooooo excited.

• Been laid low with a cold/ virus thing for the last few weeks but got back into my stride with the Arran Half Marathon yesterday. I expected huge mile-long climbs  and descents but it was actually just very undulating. A good run for this stage in training where I want hills to be a feature of my LSR's.

Probably going to do Girvan Half this Sunday coming.

• The last 2 days I did a 5 miler and a 3 miler but its starting to show I must lose weight! 110kg is far too much to be carrying round a marathon!!

Cousins wedding tomorrow (so please pray for some good weather) then an 8 miler sat morning ... Great stuff!

Happy Training
  • Took a wrong turn on a country lane this morning and turned a 12-mile run into about a 14-mile run.  So I've passed half-marathon point of my training earlier than I expected!  Completely zonked, but I admit that 10 weeks ago when I began running I didn't think I'd even reach this stage (especially with a couple of weeks on the sidelines with leg-knack).

10 weeks to go!  Need to actually begin my fundraising... I'm supposed to be raising a minimum of £400 for Macmillan but because of [insert excuses] I've not really begun in earnest yet... 

• Done my 8 miles today and can't belive how slow I am! Took me 55mins for first 4miles and 54mins return - I've roughly guessed at that pace I'm going to take a day!!!

Ahh well not much I can do to worry about pace distance is what I gotta look at!

DD you actually have reminded me now and I have to sort out my sponsorship now too ! And at this pace I'm not sure if anyone will trust me if I finish it!
  • SNB - That reminds me I need to set up my sponsorship too!!

Anybody received their race instructions yet - I seem to remember them saying they would be sent out early July.

Lots of fitness training this week - long run tomorrow - 18 miles again. Can't believe at the start of last year I weighed 3 stone heavier than I do today. It has been very hard to say the least - I'm told its good for me but I sometimes wonder.  At least I've dropped 2 sizes in my trousers!!

Away on holiday with grandkids for a few days next week - so 3 days off training - hopefully give me chance for a few aches and pains to subside.

Lovely day in Lancashire today - hope its nice in the morning for my long run.

Happy training!!

• Another lovely day in sunny Lancashire.

Really enjoyed my long run this morning - feet up now about to watch the tennis. Tough one to call but I will definitely be cheering on Murray.

Off for a few days to relax with the family - hope the rain holds off - we are in the lakes so probably no chance.

Happy training!!

• Well back to work again in the lashing rain and have a 3 mile run at lunch to do ... Just a relaxing pace to recover from the weekend long run so aiming for about 10 or 11 min/miles

Anyone not booked their hotel yet? I suppose I really should get that sorted out too!
  • I'm in the Holiday Inn at Inverness - handy for the transport to the start I believe. Usual rate is £150 but the marathon website has done a deal so £75 for a room with breakfast per night - My wife is with me so thats not too bad for two of us.

Some friens are coming along to support so that's cut the fuel costs down a bit. 720 mile round trip for us!! Travelling up on Friday and heading back after the marathon.

Happy training!!

• Dicky D... 10 weeks to go? When you running it then?

• JO 5 I've booked up at the Holiday Inn aswell - if I remember its a wee bit of a distance away from the ice rink so I'll just jump in a taxi down to the busses and I'm sure plenty of people will be doing the same so not worrying about that

KJ i thought the same but was worried incase my calculations were wrong haha

Does anyone have any tips on how to get into a rythm - seems to take me almost 3 miles to get over the feeling of wanting to stop then once I'm thru that I feel like I could keep going forever - confused!

Happy Training
  • SNB - Probably jump a taxi too - although I might persuade one of the people coming with me to chauffeur me down to the buses!!

Had a lovely break with the grandchildren - they really are full of energy. My grandaughter has told me she will run a marathon with me when she's old enough - she's 3 so by the time she's 18 I'll be 69!! God help me!!

I have found the best way to get into a rhythm is to selle on a pace for the marathon and then run lots of short runs in the week at that pace - even stopping if you have to to attain the pace you want. I soon get fed up of stoppings and just slowed down until I could run consistently at that space. I also think its important to do do other things just to keep it fresh - so I try to do two sessions a week that don't involve running!!

Another 18 miles for me in the morning - lovely day again here in sunny Lancashire.

Happy training

• Another 18 miler for me again this morning. Including a 500 yard hill at 16.5 miles - as steep as Upper Parliamnet Street (for those of you who have done Liberpool)

Even paced all the way round so thats a good confidence builder - 1.26.05 for 1st half 1.25.54 for the second half - made up with that especially as the big hill is near the end.

I think I will do another 18 miler before moving up to 20. 18-20 has always been the most difficult for me - certainly felt like I could have carried on to 20 so that's good too. Gentle day tomooriw - 30 minutes gentle on the exercise bike just to help with the stiffness in the aged legs!!

2 hill sessions and 2 speed session this week. ^ miles for eacr session. So doing just over 40 miles a week at the moment combined with the exercise bike work.

At my goddaughter's wedding on Friday - is it really 28 years since her christening!! Really looking forward to it.

Just checked and found out the hotel is nearly 5 miles from the bus pick up - bit further than I thought. Was hoping it was within walking distance - never mind either a taxi or persuading one of the crowd who are coming with me for support to get up early and drive me down.

Happy training !!

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Well, my traiing for this has been on the back burner while I trained for a 40 mile ultra- did it yesterday!!! Long day out, didn't gell too bad after, but feeling a bit odd today. Will need about 2-3 weeks before I can even think about running, I reckon, but at least the long run side if things should be OK. Just need to speed up now!

• Hello all, I have signed up for this one, mara number 11 for me but first one in Scotland. I been injured for sooo long am hoping I can actually train properly for this one and try and go for a good time. 11 miles so far in the long run stakes here, about 28 miles per week total so far. Any recommendation for cheap accomodation, will be on my tod (eyes role at the cost V sharing).

• LH

The premier Inn is ??75 per night with breakfast included - that's wher I'm staying (also on my own) I'm exactly the same stage of training as you too just doing my 11 miler at the weekend past - struggling a bit with a tight/pulled calf but hopefully will ease off in time!

Only 10 weeks to go tho folks till my 1st mara! Really hope to raise as much as possible for 'Stand By Me' while doing it

https://www.standby.me/projects/school-fees-for-the-sofia-home-children
  • SNB

Thanks - will check it out. Was kind of hoping there would be B&B's even cheaper but its not looking that cheap at all from a brief scan of the place! In fact flying up and staying in Scotland is working out more expensive than any other european marathon I have done. Still i am sure it will be worth it in the end!

8 miles for me tomorrow all being well, gonna try and go early - its apparently going to be a scorcher in Sheffield!

• Another 18 miler for me yesterday - very warm but reasonably comfortable again.

Took the grandkids swimming afterwards so that was good for the aged legs.

Watched part of the Bolton Ironman yesterday - the cycle part went through the village where I live. 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and a full marathon to finish off with. The winner completed in 8hr 55min!! Totally mad that!!

Laura - the marathon website have some b&b - not sure on prices though. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn too - £75 not too bad for me as my wife is coming with me.

6 miler in the morning at my 10k pace - love stretching the legs out!!

Happy training!!

• Morning Folks, nightmare for me this week pulling my right calf has stopped my short runs, ment to do 7 miles today and 4 tomorrow but know I'll end up crippled so both days off in the hope I can get the 12 miles completed on saturday - hoping its just a twinge and that come saturday I'll b alright - but never know I suppose

For every1 else happy training!
  • Just wondered if anyone had received the race pack yet, the website stated July.  I can't believe its getting so close - 20mile run this weekend, sooooo scared!!

• Hi Heather, no race pack here yet.

Good luck for your 20 miler this weekend.

SNB- are you seeing a sports physio?

• Hi Heather got my race pack this morning - must be getting close now!! Race number 1783 for me.

20 miler for me tomorrow too. Have done 5 x 18 mies so far so hopefully extra 2 miles not too much more pain!!

SNB - I've had a bug this week so 3 days off for me. Good speed run for me this morning so feeling much better. Sports physio is what you need for your calf - you will be surprised how quickly they can sort you out.

Happy training!!

• 20 miler this morning - well pleased. Even paced all the way round so even better

Bit faster than I wanted but I can slow that down a bit for the next one next weekend.

Opening Ceremony at the Olympics was vert impressive. Sat watching the road race at the moment - how mad are they!!

Out with friends tonight - the beer is already chilling I believe.

Happy training!!

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Race pack has arrived- change of drinks supplier!- clif shot- and it will be in cups- bleurgh!.

Have ordered some of the gels/ shot blocks to try out, as need to check they don't cause gut problems if we're going to get given them on race day.

Am still resting / recovering after my epic race last week, but have managed to get out for a 5km recovery run today- need to build up a little speed now, as at present I can run for 9 hours, but only if I go at 12 minutes miles- need to get down to 9mm.

• Clif shots - gave me a problem at the Manchester Marathon, from 15 miles onwards (on for under 4 hours at the time) I spent my time struggling to run cross-legged or sprinting as each portaloo came in sight. I was warned beforehand but didn't think it would apply as I am very used to taking gels on. Took me over 5 hours to complete

• 21 miles today, took 3 hours 15 minutes so a 10 minutes longer than I was hoping for. It was very hilly though and I added in a mile long hill at 17 miles to prepare for the one I have been hearing about. Legs ache but I did feel like I could go another couple of miles still. Got into a freezing paddling pool with a coffee afterwards.

So am I kidding myself on this sub 4 or is 8 weeks long enough to loose 10 minutes??

• Tricialitt - where did you order the gels from? I think I am being thick as I can't seem to find them anywhere.

MSTH - Looks to me like you only have 5 mins to find - last 4 miles at LN are supposed to be quite quick so I think you are well on with 9 weeks to go. I think the hill at 17 miles will dictate what we all do!!

I did 3.09 for 20 miles yesterday which would give me about 4.10 - I don't think I can go any quicker than that so sub 4 is not on for me.