Options

Loch Ness Marathon 2012

Comments

• Options

TRICIALITT all the best with nessie i can't make it this year work as scuppered that

• Options
    Hey all just in from my 10 miler and feet, knees and quads ached most of the way soo glad the offical taper has begun - hurry up 30th so I can have a good drink with my mates b4 dieting for my wedding!

Well done on getting out Tricia any time on feet is good time if u ask me - mind you I'm planning a marathon time of 'finish'
  • Options

I'm feeling pretty undertrained this time around - work ad other things have made it difficult to find the time. Did my 20 miler on Friday and found it difficult, think this marathon will be quite a bit slower than the last. 

Good luck Tricialitt, I reckon time on feet definitely counts. They do say 'slightly undertrained' is better than 'overtrained' too.

Enjoy the taper SNB!

• Options

Yup- legs are feeling terrible today- I might try a couple of 6 milers later in the week, and maybe 10-14 next weekend, but really I think it's time to rest now.

It doesn't matter how much you've trained- at this point you will always feel its not enough, I've never gone into a marathon feeling "ready" yet!

• Options

I'll be doing pretty much the same as you Tricialitt, think that's the best plan. And I definitely know what you mean about the 'not ready' feeling - I'm sure we'll all be pleasantly surprised on the day.

• Options

so exciting reading everyones posts, its also reassuring to hear that everyone feels the same,exhausted and scared!

I managed runs of 3,6,9,6 this week. Knee still not 100%, will see the sports physio tomorrow night and check to see if I can squeeze in one last LSR before race day or if its time to taper.

So here is a question, how long is everyine tapering for and what will your taper involve?

• Options

My Marathon has gone, I've succumbed to injury, I tried a run over the weekend after a couple of successful short runs but it went bad all over again. I need to get a scan to fix this one. I will still travel up (why waste the hotel and the weekend) but my running is on hold until end of November now then a slow gradual build up to either the Gloucester Marathon in Jan or straight into the Born to run Ultra in Feb. Good luck with it everyone

• Options
    EGG - sorri to hear about the injury! Sounds like a nightmare! ... Just going up for the holiday will b a nice trip so hopefully u enjoy it almost as much as if u we're running!
  • Options

Yeah, I'l just stick to biking and swimming, might try the skinny dip world record on 22nd Sept, that could be fun

• Options
    EGG its def possibly I think the world record is 400 so if u waited till the 30th all the runners took the plunge after the mara we'd easily beat it!
  • Options

Yes they told me to expect around 400, still, another crossed off the bucket list

• Options

EGG sorry also to here you won't make this one and hope you can make next year.

Who cannot help but feel so inspired by the Olympics especially the brave strong minded Paralympions. Wow what great timing for our own battle in a few weeks.

Just completed 21 miles today and it was difficult and uncomfortable. Hips are not working well with the legs. Hey ho 51 yrs old last week and yes it does not get any easier.

However Run and walk (no shame in walking) I will finish as the thrill of seeing the finish post and receiving the medal around your neck does not get any better, first Marathon or 12th. ( also charity running does give you a certain edge to make sure you finish come rain or shine or wind! )

MSTH answer to the question of tapering everyone will have a different plan but mine is tapering this week with this Sunday 15miles next sunday 10miles with smaller miles during the week as I feel Fatleks/hills/strides etc.

• Options

SNB - Getting married congratulations!! It's my 31st wedding anniversary on wednesday - gone in a flash.

10 Miles for me yesterday as part of my taper. Will do 8 next sunday and 6 the sunday after - unless I change my mind of course!! Wouldn't be the first time.

Going to do some gentle hill training and some work on my exercise bike this week and next and then hardly anything in the week before. I am quite tired so will be nice to recover!!

Happy training!!

• Options
    Thanks JO5 ... Stood at work all day today and had a gradually increasing ache in my ledt calf ... Got home had a look and I have sprung a bruise 4inches up from my achiles tendon and its about the size of a ??2 coin I have no idea where it has come from! All I can say is thankfully its taper time lol

Any1 had these bruises pop up b4?

MSTH my taper is 8miles this sat and 7 next week with much shorter weekday runs aswell of between 3-5miles
  • Options

SNB - Never had that before - could it be your trainers? Either that it's all that standing. I spend most of my day sat on on my backside so don't have this type of problem!! Mind you I am usually eating biscuits so that's not good for the diet. I've got sore shins today - not sure what that's about, could be the hill training I suppose.

Only 20 days to go - donations are not going too well at the moment, only got about 30% of my target. Not running with a charity place so no official target to meet.

Tried out my race gear last week - got a new running vest for the day, just wanted to make sure there was no chaffing!!

Happy training!!

• Options

EGG- So sorry to hear about your injury, how gutting. I think you are doing the right thing though, as someone else said on this forum ' plenty of marathons out there but only one set of legs'.

• Options

Think my taper will be pretty similar to SNB's, my weekend runs will probably be around 10 and 6 miles with short runs during the week. I might give the hills a rest now too. 

Only 20 days left?! Wow! Scary. 

• Options

EGG - sorry you are going to miss the marathon. I ran Liverpool last year knowing I wasn't fit enough - alsolute disaster and the worst experience I hvae ever had!! that was going to be my last marathon but I ballsed it up that much I am doing Loch Ness to prove I can do a proper run!! Hope the recuperation goes well - As MSTH says there are plenty of opportunities out there for when you are fully fit and prepared!!

Happy recuperation!!

• Options

Thanks, it's not good but won't last forever, and there's always others, I will miss out on Loch Ness and Chester having already missed Isle of Man and Gin pit, so it will be four in total.

Got the injury doing the Wall, the last 10 miles or so was in pitch dark at 3am, and there were quite a few trips on the way, maybe a better ehad torch next year..

• Options
    JO5 it could be - I suppose but don't think changing to a new pair this close would be a good idea ... Its weird as the bruise is well above the top of my trainer too so not like anything actually will be hitting it either ... Maybe Its not running related and its just been knocked at work, will see how it is on my run tomorrow and hoping that it causes no pain!

Would anyone recommend a sports massage at some point before? I've never had one and not sure if it will actually help or hinder the actual run
  • Options

EGG - Sorry to hear about your injury woes. I'd be really disappointed if I got injured now, but I hope you still get to enjoy the long weekend in Scotland.

SNB - Not sure I'd recommend a sports massage at this point. They can be pretty tough if done properly and leave your muscles feeling quite sore. A non-sports gentle massage is always nice (won't affect your running either way).

I managed to run the Bacchus Marathon on Sunday and appear to be recovering OK (though I ran at a really easy pace this morning). Despite taking the first half slowly and drinking wine as I went round, I still managed 3:41 which gives me some confidence for running well in Inverness once I've tapered. It also looks as though I placed, though they're still sorting out the times following some problems with the chips so not quite sure yet. I've never placed in a race before so I can't wait to find out.

• Options

Oh yes I'll still be traveling, never been to Inverness so will enjoy.

I wouldn't have a sports massage if there is less than a week to go, as it can be a problem, but I've had many in the two weeks up to a run, and I find it useful, although despite the benefits I find an easy 5 mile run is good to get the massage out of your legs  

• Options
    Congrats on ure possible placing at the Bacchus Marathon Lemony sounds very interesting! I think with the extra hours in work I will struggle to fit in a massage so will probably just wait untill after loch ness

13 hours on my feet today and probably the same for the next 2 weeks so not the happiest with my work for arranging the shifts!
  • Options

Lemony- that's a great time, what with all the drinking as well! you'll fly round LN, I'm sure!

• Options

SNB- if you tell the sports physio that your running in 19 days then she will be quite gentle with you. I have been having weekly massages for the last month due to lots of niggles and thet really are amazing. Just rest the day afterwards and then your good to go. She does leave a few bruises thoughimage

Am going to do my last long run tomorrow- will aim for between 17-20 miles and then it will be little runs only until race day. Interesting to hear how your all tapering, Hope I haven't left my last LSR too late but  injury has prevented me attempting one in the last 3 weeks, minor injury but I wanted to be totally sure I had healed.

• Options

Did 3 miles this morning - got soaked as it chucked it down half way round - intended to do 5 mile but I was that wet I just gave up!

Try 4/5 in the morning - hopefully a bit dryer.

I think it's a bit late for a sports massage - maybe 4 weeks before or just before you start your taper at the latest. We are all different mind you, speak to the masseur they should be able to guide you correctly.

Lost a tooth this evening eating some chocolate - how bad is that. Couldn't finish the chocolate bar!! Only a cap so should be able to get it fixed back on thank goodness. 3 more days in work then start a new job - I do like to make life interesting!! At least my new employer has honoured the days I had booked of for Loch Ness.

Happy training!!

• Options

It now looks as though I've won the Bacchus Marathon (though still waiting for confirmation from the race organisers as the results up on line keep changing). Woo Hoo!

I'm aiming for sub-3:15 for Loch Ness (pb is 3:18 at VLM this year). Not much more I can do now in terms of training, but fingers crossed ...

• Options

lemony that is brilliant - I'll still have 7 or 8 miles to go when you have finished!!

• Options

Wow Lemony that is amazing, well done.

Did my last long run today, 17 miles, legs felt great, all at 9-920 mm so thats it, short runs only now. So exciting.