Dublin Marathon 2011

Dublin Marathon 2011 – Monday 31st October, 9am.

Ok, planning above to my first marathon. Any other takers out there?

Comments

• Hi Hedgerow, yeah, I'll be there hopefully - did it in '09 & '10: brilliant.

The D Mara thread here has been a great buzz for the past two years  - hopefully '11 will be the same.

I'm hoping to knock 15 minutes off last year's time & break 3 hours. Lots of hard work to do though.

You started training? 

• Hi adog woof

Glad to hear from a Dublin Veteran!! - I will hopefully sound you out for a few hints/tips etc nearer the time.

Training, yes & no is the answer. Yes as I have been in training for a half and a few 10ks in Spring. But I have been laid up with a Medial Collateral Ligament sprain for almost 3 weeks now - and not getting out on the road is driving me mad. Hopfully a week or two should see me right.

I have heard great things about Dublin, and looking forward to it (touch wood) image

• Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

Hi Hedgerow,

I did Dublin in '09 where I sneaked in under 4 hours image.  It's a good and fair course with a great atmosphere. a PLUS is Dublin has the best tasting Guinness in the world after four hours on the road image

I haven't signed up yet but I'll probably go for it this year again......

P.S. Hi Adog,  I remember you from the extremely lively 09 tread..

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

VLM was my first marathon last year, as I didn't get in this year I've decided Dublin would be a good alternative.

Still haven't decided for definite, I do like the idea of another big city marathon & being in October it means getting in some solid summer training.

It's great to see it get so much praise, don't know if I could stomach the Guinness afterwards though!

• K8 Im going to heap praise on it too, I did it '09 and '10 getting PBs at both.  Not that its a pancake flat course, but the crowds are great and the atmosphere is such that you find yourself pushing harder.  Havent given thought to this years race yet, it would be very hard to not have another go. 

Go on!  The craic is mighty!

• Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

And  be surprised at your capacity to handle the Black Stuff,  As they say "Guinness is good for you" image

A gang of us from the '09 tread met up the night before the race and immediately after the race.  Mighty 'craic' indeed..

• First slow jog  since my MCL knee injury 5 weeks ago.

3 miles very slow,  thankfully no major problems with knee. Plan to cross train and introduce my running slowly. 

The thought of 26.2 miles now is scary stuff, but plenty of time to bulid up to my running fitness pre-injury and beyond. 

Been checking out accomadation options, and will give it a month or so until I actually submitt my entry.

Roll on Dublin..............................

• Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

Ah!  The MCL...  This time last year, I tore my MCL while skiing for the first (and last) time...

Was living in Stockholm at the time and had already signed up for the Stockholm marathon.  I did the race anyway with no training. Got around with another injured buddy in just under six hours. Really enjoyed the experience. We know we could walk half it and still come in under six hours.

I did Dublin in sub 4 in '09. Don't know if my ready for 600 miles in 18 weeks again.  Might just run for the 'craic' and a respectable 4:15 -> 4:30 time zone.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I went to Dublin for my 18th. I think I managed about 2 sips of the black stuff, for me personally it was a bit image . Never had it again since. It'll be great to go back to the city again though.  

For those that have done it, what's the hotel situation like? How close can you get to the start? And how quickly do the hotels fill up?

My legs need some convincing, but it's the bf which will need the most convincing. He's very patient with all my running/races but this is a much bigger ask from him. 

Hedgerow - slightly differently but I took some time out over winter for various reasons. It is very frustrating to be back to square with training. 3 miles is a great start though, no matter how slow you thought you were.

• Finbarr65 - How long did your MCL take to fully heal? - It's strange with me, 5 weeks in and I can do everything else with no pain, crosstrain, stretches, squats etc etc, but once I try to run I get that slight dull pain from MCL. I know patience is probably the key..........................

K8greene - Thanks for your kind words. I know I have time on my side (Just) in regards to getting in some quality training. I was due to run a half this Saturday, but obviously have to sit this one out.  

I think accomadation is pretty good, with plenty of choice in Dublin.  Most hotels etc will let you reserve with a small deposit.  I think it is good that the start and finish are pretty much the same, I plan to book to stay in or around St Stephens Green.

• I think an MCL sprain takes, on average, at least six weeks to heal (but, as you know, and like all injuries, each case is different) Hedgerow. I'd one... and I know that weird feeling of being able to cross train but not being able to run without those ominous twinges. I remember a good test of progress in recovery was to stand straight and see to what degree you can 'rotate' the affected leg around/towards the other leg without the knee paining (try the same movement with the unaffected leg to distinguish between what feels right & what feels unnatural - injured; this may sound like a silly point, but the thing is that after a few weeks with the MCL, you kind of get accustomed to the discomfort/pain in the affected knee, and particularly as it 'improves', there is the temptation to confuse what is still injured with what you think is mended. Sounds stupid I know, but it happens with people...you can only clarify your perception of what the knee is telling you, by using the healthy one as a sounding-out board too. The span of movement in this position progresses in tandem with recovery, but it's only recovered when the affected knee is back to feeling in a complete way like the unaffected one. I remember the pain is a bit like a toothache in the joint, yeah? I think Finbarr (Hey Finbarr! Yeah, I remember you too from the '09 thread) had an MCL tear - more serious, but he'll tell you more. I'd be inclined to avoid running for another fortnight if it's still sending even a 'slight dull pain' at this stage. Just forget about March & kick off the campaign in April - still over half a year at that point...yonks of time. And avoid any awkward and/or abrupt movements - skipping steps on stairs, lifting something & inadvertently using the injured leg to take the brunt et cetera...again sounds obvious, but so easily forgotten...
  • Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

HedgeRow,

I did not run for about 10-12 weeks. But during all that time I walked and walked and walked and walked.  Was doing 4-6 miles a day. Physico really stressed as much exercise as possible. So I think your doing the right thing.  The problem with the MCL is that if you do twist your knee, there is nothing there to support you and it's going to hurt image..

Again I was partially lucky in that I did the Dublin marathon three months prior to my accident and the Physico commented that my knees were in great shape and really strong from the training.

Don't let anybody tell you that running is bad for you.  Total nonsense. Running will strengthen the joints.  But beware, back to the Physico. she also told me "Runners are the most stubbern people she has ever met!. They always return back to training to soon".   image

• Thanks Finbarr65 - Loads of walking and cycling for the time being. Hopefully I'll be ok to start back running  April time- but we will see, no plans to rush things.
  • I'll be there, 3rd Dublin (did '09 and '10 too), 4th marathon overall. Hoping to get as close as possible to 3:50, after breaking 4 hours for the first time in Barcelona this month. Need to clear this bout of ITBS and do a hell of a lot of training between now and then though!
  • Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

JoJo, 

So you reckon Dublin is a decent course to go for a PB? I got my PB there in '09 and I found it to be a fair course.  The 'hill' at 19 miles has a bit of a string image

• Any warm-up races planned anyone?

I'm thinking of a June or July half...

Any training to report?
  • Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a half marathon to do in Ireland some where,  Haven't decided on one. 

Any recommendations?  I see they are getting rather pricey. 

Looks like Dublin marathon is unchanged in price for third year running.  Is that correct?

Training is grand.  I'm doing a 10 miler virtually every sat morning with a gang in Waterford.  nothing special in time.  1:32 last saturday.   So just trying to get out 2/3 nights during the week to make up another 10.  18 week program is not till end of June. So loads of time yet.

• The Clontarf half-marathon is fairly good Finbarr:

http://www.irishmultimarathon.com/

I did it the year before last. It's on at the start of July. Nice course taking in a bit of the beach and very flat...basically the route is my training route.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same as you, just keeping the engine ticking over. Going to ramp things up a bit for the forthcoming half though.
  • Finbarr65Finbarr65 ✭✭✭

Adog,

Thanks for that.  I didn't even know there was  a Clontarf half-marathion...

• I see the DCM has a new sponsor: The National Lottery!

& the start time is going to be an hour later at 10am to facilitate live coverage on RTE2!

...must remember to wear a balaclava this year...don't want any shots of my mug wincing in agony & showered in sweat splattered over tv screens up & down the land & beyond...

at least the other 13,500 people plus will be ample camouflage..
  •  DCM will be my first marathon!!   Have done a couple of half marathons..PB 1hr 50.

Whats the course like?....aiming for 4hrs

• I did DCM last year, and it was really good, with nice runnign weather and excellent atmosphere.

Am glad the start's been moved up an hour later, and done in waves, as it was quite chilly getting up early to get in, and was a bit congested at the start in places.

Planning to do it again this year, but hopefully this time without pre-race injury which knocked me back a lot (on hindsight probably shouldn't have run it)

Team kazmic - I Liked the course, don't remember any killer hills, and there is also a video run through of the course on their website, which brings back a few memories!

Have a few half's lines up as warmup, including one in Galway at the end of August, which I'm looking forward to, as haven't run in galway before.

adog woof, another warm up race idea would be to look at the rest of the dublin races, the marathon is just the last in a series, which sound like a good length increases over time (5mile, 10 mile, 1/2 mar, then full, in july, aug, sep, and oct)

k8greene, not sure how the hotel's fill up, as I stayed with family, but it's a bank holiday weekend, so woudl be fairly busy. You shoudl be able to get very close to the start through, as the start is very central

Here's hoping to an injury free training run up to all, and weather like last year!

Regards,

Martin

• I was 1 of the pacers in Dublin last year and most probably will be this year. Great marathon and great support out there. Also it only has 1 real blip of a hill and its over quickly.
  • can you stay local to start or finish bb or hotels
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Signed up for this yesterday and flights and hotels booked. Looking forward to a nice cool Autumn Mara after warm Brighton last week.
  • Hello all,

I have signed up for this one too, it will be my fifth full marathon and I'm really looking forward to it. I've not been to Dublin before but have heard alot of good things about it, and will be staying for  a long weekend to make the most of it. At the moment im still recovering from Brighton last week, but can't wait to get back out there!

• Quite quiet on here but then I suppose it's half a year away...a good friend of mine who's an accomplished marathoner has pledged to do Dub too - nothing like a bit of friendly rivalry to increase the motivation! Oh, how I'd love to outrun him! There'd be a happy winter of bragging then...

Yeah, IrishMartin I hope to do the 10-miler & the half out of that race series - can't really see the point in doing the 5 though...

Was glued to the TV watching the London Marathon on Sunday morning - would love to get a place in that...James Cracknell ran a 3.03 8 months after being in intensive care - amazing - think registration starts on the 26th of this month...

What was Brighton like? A good one?
  • Hi all. Im seriously thinking of doing Dublin too. Just ran my first marathon last week in London and had a great day and weekend but came in well over the time that i should be capable of. London was far to warm for me to mantain a decent pace so i had to decide to slow down or risk dropping out !

End of October is a long way off but i guess it gives lots of time for a few halfs and 10k s through the summer !

• I am thinking of doing Dublin half on sept 17th as I have family over there & quite fancy a run around the famous Phoenix Park! It's only 20 Euro entry too