Comments

• Dodgy Knee

Sore achilles both legs

Not many long runs in

Weather is not going to be great -

Ahh-  It'll be grand imageimageimageimageimageimage

As Dr. Pepper would say

"What's the worst that could happen!!!!!!"

• Exactly Jim. I'm also a wreck. Damaged calf after 16 weeks good training.
    Will run regardless but nice and handy image. Will purchase Tee shirt today
    if unable to collect finishers. Plenty other days / Marathons. Out there.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow. It's a wonderful day.
    Don't mind rain. Wind is a lot more hassle.

John.
  • Not running tomorrow and will miss it.

Weather wont be too bad - we were spoilt for the last few years.

All the best to everyone running.

Remember the wind forecast will blow you home from 21 miles. If its against you find someone big and get behind them. If your big, dont worry just find someone bigger!!!

Good luck.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
  • 4:28 after a 2:00 1/2 - faded a bit after 13 mile but still a PBimage
  • Finished in 4:19 . A bit disappointed I missed my 4 hr target but I went up in smoke at 20 and couldn't recover. I blame my cold!!

It was a great day and the crowd were fantastic - even in the driving rain towards the end. Hats off to them.

I hope everyone enjoyed it and achieved their targets.

I'm off for a day of hobbling around Dublin sightseeing!
  • Had a cracking day in Dublin, was doing steady 8 min miles till about the 32km mark, but just lost a bit of ooph about then, but still kept a reasonable pace and went over the line in 3.44 so I have a sub 3.45 marathon and am well happy. Also managed to get around without stopping which was another goal.

My legs feel surprisingly well this morning, so maybe I didn't push as hard as I could have yesterday and there's still a faster one in these legs. Maybe it was just a little lack of confidence and the fear of blowing up like last year that made me drop back a bit.

Liked the waved start this year and the organisation was top notch. Only negative I could see was that the results seem to be all over the place still, with several people reporting a missing finishing time and chip finish/split times being inaccurate (sometimes wildly so)

Overall a great day, and I can now say I've done my sub 4.0 while being sub 40 image

Martin

• Hi, is anyone else having problems getting there results.  When I enter my race number its coming up "no results found" its so frustrating!

Also was the time at the finish line the time from the first wave started therefore five minutes fast for the second wave?

Karen

• Karen,

there seems to a lot of problems with the results, the info from the dublin marathon facebook page is: "If your results are not showing up as yet, please e-mail office@dublinmarathon.ie and we will endeavour to respond as quickly as possible."

There's also problems with the finish time for some people, and also the splits are way off as well .

Hopefully it will get sorted out shortly

Regards,

Martin

• Thanks martin i'll have to email them it's a real pain - beginning to panic that my chip was'nt working for theres no mention of me even when i went through the list around my finishing time.

Imagine all that hard work and not even an official time.image

• 3 hours 55, well chuffed. My knee started playing up at mile 16 and I feared the worst but I stopped to put on the ITB strap which seemed to keep it at bay. Crowd were amazing and I really enjoyed the day especially as I achieved my goal of a sub 4. Hope everyone enjoyed and are happy with their times. Which marathon next!!
  • The old adage of fail to prepare, prepare to fail certainly rang true for me, i was hopeful for a 4.30 but struggle in at 5.18, thats my 3rd dublin mara in a row and im getting slower, nevertheless a great day, tough conditions compared to previous years, and no doubt i,ll come back next year for another crack, congrats to all who achieved their goals.
  • Great atmosphere and met many good people on route for a chat - was going well for my first sub4 up to the long incline around 20miles before the hamstrings tightened and started to feel sickly, and the rain came.  The last mile felt an eternity but happy to have made it in 4h12m non-stop all the way.

Seem to be having difficulty finding results on line (were in Irish papers yesterday !) - mine eventually comes up and splits are all wrong (new 10k PB at beginning ..no way !) but want to search for other results - hopefully they'll sort this asap.

Thanks to everyone, really enjoyed it - must get ground floor room in hotel next time ! 

• 10kplodder, the first split is actually for the 5 mile mark, even though its showing as 10k. Likewise, the '30k' is for 20miles.
  • Thanks for that info IrishMartin - makes more sense - going to hopefully analyse my garmin splits.  Well done on your brill 3h45 !  Agree all your good comments.  Hoping for a sub4 myself whilst I'm still sub60 - 4 years to do it and only my 2nd mara so far.........
  • 4.25.49 for me according to the website although my watch said 4.24.42 so i seem to have lost 1 minute 7 secs somewhere (perhaps i was abducted and experimeted upon and will run my next marathon in 1hr 59 mins image)

Plan A of attempting to run a sub 4 hours went out of the window right at the start. Found it a bit humid and congested and as i was already 3 minutes off my target pace after 3 miles i decided it would be silly to chase it. Plan B kicked in and i was determined to try to get a sub 4.30 so tried to go steady all the way.

Still found the last 6 miles very tough. I thought "never again" only to remember i have already signed up for London 2012image. Now i am thinking what do i need to do to improve my time for Londonimage

Delighted with my time (which ever one it is) and more so that i ran every step.

The crowd support was absolutely fantastic. A great experience.

Well done all.

Steve

• Steve,

congrats on the finish, and runing every step is a great achievement.

For the lost minute, there are a lot of problems with the chip times in dublin, as many people are seeing their chip time and finish time being the same, so instead of the chip time starting when you cross the line, it started when your wave did. (so the 1min 7 sec was the time it took from your wave start till you crossed the line)

If you want to correct this, the advise on the dublin marathon facebook page is to email them with your details.

Agree, the last 6 miles were tough, looking at my garmin, that's where my pace dropped off, but I also think there's a long slow hill about there too.

As last year, the crowd support is excellent, definitly the best I've seen, with their witty billboards, I saw "Chuck norris never ran a marathon", "who needs toenails anyway?" "if it was easy, everyone woudl do it" and many more.

A great old day!

Martin

• My garmin has a distance of 26.5 ??? I know I stopped and started it correctly. Anyone else have this disparity?
  • Thanks IrishMartin

e-mail sent. Nicely worded.Would just like an accurate time to round off a great day. (my finish time and chip time are recorded as the same)

The billboards were great and situated in the perfect places. They really gave me encouragement just when i was flagging.

Must comment again on the support. I can't remember any part of the course without vocal encouragement/signs/banners. The support in the last 6 miles in the pouring rain especially was sensational and is something i will always remeber. If London is half as good i will be delighted.

laurielee

I heard the guy who was giving out the timing bands at the expo state we would run 26.5 miles due to the number of twists and turns in the early part of the course. Not sure how accurate this is mind.

• That explains it then. Thanks. So my finish time is slightly quicker than I thought cos of the slightly longer distance - great: being able to shave off seconds and minutes is always good!
  • Is it likely I will be able to find out how many people were in my category? There is an icon to link but nothing happens
  • No - Your finish time is your chip time - The fact you run an extra 0.4 mile is down to you not following the 'perfect line' which no one does - In other races I have seen a Blue dotted line indicating the optimum route but I did not see one in Dublin - Unfortunately you cannot shave time off because you travelled more than the optimium - we all did image
  • Hi All,

Well done to everyone on finishing..

Had a great day myself. I came home in 3' 58". I saw the black four hour balloons around mile 16 in the distance. Finally caught them at mile 22 and stuck to them like glue for the last four miles.

My chip and finish time were both recorded at 4'00"50" I send them an email like suggested here to inquire about the error. I'll let you know if I get a response.

John
  • Anyone still having issues with their chip times.

Following was just posted on DCM (Dublin city Marathon) facebook page.

Quote:
    Please note that we aware there is an issue with race finish times for some of you, this was caused by a 10 minutes power outage by one of the readers which has resulted in a small number of people receiving an incorrect time or no time being listed. Please can you e-mail your name, race number, wave and time (or no time) to office@dublinmarathon.ie and we will retrieve your chip time through a back up system. As this entails searching for each persons details manually, please bear with us as we sort through your queries as quickly as possible. Many Thanks
  • Dublin marathon have uploaded a further upate to their their results, so if anyone was getting incorrect times and has emailed them, you can check it out now and see if it's been corrected. (my times now have, which is good image

Regards,

Martin

• Ah..

I'm now a sub four runner for Dublin '11 image

Irl M45 484 00:49:53 02:02:38 03:04:38 03:57:57 04:00:52
  • Good one Finbarr65!

Even if you already  knew your watch time was under 4, it makes all the difference seeing it acknowledged  offically image

nice negative split, btw

M.

• Cheers Martin,

Even if I say so myself my pacing was spot on..

Reached half way in 1:49:43 ~ 9 08" pace

Second half a little quicker ~ 9' 02" pace

I ran from mile 14 to 22 and my miles only varied by 8 seconds image

But I still found the last four miles extremely difficult. I caught up with the Black Balloons around mile 19/20 and I clung on for dear life after that..