Dublin Marathon 2011

Comments

• A few familiar heads here from last year. VLM out of the way, although injured now, this will be the next big target. Its a long way away but it comes up quick.

Adog - the problem with clontarf is the exposed nature of it. If the wind is anyway up and in the wrong direction it'll affect you big time. I train on the route very regularly also. The transitions to the beach must slow you too!!

Finbarr - good to hear you again - Whats the target this year - It'll be time to change that picture!!!

• Oh by the way - an apt new sponsor - sometimes running a marathon is a lottery (with a slight control on the outcome). Training more miles is like buying more tickets - It increases the chances, but the disappointment if targets arent hit is more!!!!!!!

• Hey Paddy! hope you're keeping well..yeah. you're right about the wind on 'tarf coast - it's a bitch & a half...good analogy 'bout the lottery & the marathon! injury mild/serious? how Lon go? yeah, remember you were well, well inside sub 3hrs last year...yeah, just getting in gear now for my first pop at a sub3 in Dub myself...sure we'll see what numbers come up! shaving 15 min off a mara pr is quite an ask - thinking of doing Cork Marathon not as an all-out effort but just to set me up for summer's training...got a couple of good, comfy lsrs under my belt, so might just do it for the buzz without a proper tape & no expectations...
  • Adog - My eating before VLM wasnt perfect (hotel food and all that - i'll plan that better next year). This came out to hit me at 16 miles or so and an enforced pit stop of 21/2 - 3 minutes. Got going well after this but calf went at 24 miles and I had to struggle to the finish.

Hope you have a good lead up and injury free training - All the best for the sub 3 - I think you can do it!!

Laid up now for maybe a fortnight or so but i must be patient - just wish the weather wasn't so good - i really want to get out there.
  • I will be giving it as go.

Will be my second marathon but teally looking forward to it. Actually I'm looking forward to the training (might change my mind later on though image)

Did a ten mile race yesterday in Lampeter (South Wales). Managed 1.25 at a steady pace. Very warm so happy with that.

Will start my proper training in about a month. Probably a bit early but i plan to have the odd easy week and allow time in case of any injuries.

Good luck all.

• I wonder if anyone on this thread could give me some advice...

I've got my eye on a marathon towards the end of this year and the choice is between Dublin and New York. Unfortunately i didn't get in to the NYRR through the ballot so I would have to go through an ITP which is obviously very expensive. So i've now been thinking more towards Dublin, a lot cheaper and by the sounds of people on here a very good atmosphere.

Had anyone run both in that they could give me some guidance?

Thank you!
  • Hello all - VLM over and a spectacular PW - I'm slow at the best of times (5 hours average) but had patchy training leading up to the race and horrible blisters on the day meant I was up on 5:50...and even though I spent the day saying never, never, never, never again it looks like we're aiming for Dublin this year!

Hubby is aiming for around 3:15 and I'd really like to get under 5 hours (finally!!)

I've done Dublin twice 20005 and 2006 and this year will be my 6th marathon.

Planned races will be the Mooathon (we do this every year) and more than likely the Waterside half marathon (this is my local race and rotten - mostly motorway and waste ground! - but it's at a good time of year)

Not sure what else planned but I figure if I give it a good 6 months then hopefully things will go better for me.
  • Oh and it's on my birthday! The first time we did it (2005) was on my birthday too - when I picked up my number there was a birthday card attached and on the start line they call out your name and get everyone to shout happy birthday...not sure if they still do that!
  • seriously thinking of doing Dublin this year as my 2nd mara (after London a few weeks ago), my late mun's home town so it would be special

-is it an older plodder friendly and nice course with plenty of water stations?

thanks

• Have just entered Dublin....after suggesting to Mrs FS at 4pm that  a weekend break to Dublin would be nice and then at 5pm being told the hotel and flights were booked!!!

This will be my 3rd Marathon (London 2008, Llanelli 2011), hoping to break 4 hours. Looks like training will start properly in July. But aiming to keep some spring marathon fitness before then.

• I did the first two legs of the Belfast marathon yesterday...I basically just walked/ran it as two of my children were participating....6.5 with our son and 3.5 with our daughter....their first foray into any race so I figured it was best to keep with them and encourage them round...had a great day and then felt absolutely knackered...I think I'm not fully recovered from VLM two weeks ago....I really need to start slow and build up I think.
  • I'm seriously thinking about entering this too. I ran my first marathon in London a few weeks ago and I think I may have caught the bug as I'm desperate to do it again. Those of you who have run this before I was wondering how flat or hilly is the course. I've seen reference to one or two hills and I must admit that is my one reservation!!
  • Hardly hilly at all - a couple of inclines (one a bit sharp) but really not an issue.
  • Thanks for that gfb. I'm definitely going to enter now!

Can anyone recommend a good marathon training plan? I was thinking about the runners world smart coach option???

• I'm going to jump on the Dublin Marathon bandwagon too... entered the other day, looks like it's going to be good from looking at this forum! Will be my second marathon after I completed London a few weeks ago, looks like I caught the bug too!!

• Yeah, Jump on Bournie. Its a great one.

I've been out of action myself but am coming back into it now. The Calf is just about better. I've become a swimmer and cyclist in the meantime. I think i'll stick to the running for now.

Adog - have you any shorter term goals race wise??
  • Just signed up for dublin as have several of us from Hayle runners (cornwall) Hoping it will be a P.B course as a number of us ran sub 3:05 at London this year but none under the 3 !! So its all guns blazing for the sub 3 !
  • A couple of my friends did Dublin in 2009 and both came away with PB's Tubs!! Heres hoping!!!

• Yo Paddy, good stuff what with you Calf on the mend...
    yeah, as regards shorter term race goals, I'm mulling over whether to do the Cork Marathon on the June Bank Holiday - have until next Monday to register...but then I don't think I'd run if flat-out if I were to enter...I'd try the first half at the pace of what McMillan suggests is my present marathon ability (3hr 08min) from recent, timed full-on solo efforts & then ease up & just enjoy the second half...
    But even if I don't do it, I'll race a half mara against myself that weekend to further assess where I'm at...
    I'll prob do the Clontarf half in July if I'm around...
    Incidentally, I was best man at a wedding at the weekend & as luck would have it, the groom kindly gave me a 200euro gift token for Runways on Parnell Street - slick or what...
    a new pair of trainers coming up, just when I need 'em...my present ones are well whacked, so it'll be interesting to see if the new ones have a positive effect on my times...
    g luck getting back to proper running training after all that swimming & biking...yeah, it's never the same buzz doing that sort of stuff...
  • sounds a great event so have now just entered .......off in a minute for a 10mile trot to start my training !

• Me too...I've just entered too. Eeeek...my second marathon and I'm determined to enjoy it this time!!!!
  • Thanks Adog.

Theres something about the Clontarf race that doesn't get me!! Have you done it - How do they deal with the transitions across the beach?

Nice one on the token!!

• Yeah Paddy, did a bit of the Clontarf Race course yesterday evening in my brand new Brooks Ravenna 2 (sweet shoes; they've got this gadget thingy whereby they naturally expand with the foot yet the laces don't loosen - felt like turbochargers had just been fitted - put in perspective how clapped out my old Brooks Infinity were)...did the race in '09 & watched my bro do it last year...yeah, you just go down the Wooden Bridge on the right hand side - they've a bit taped off - & then you're directed by the sea...& then ushered up the Causeway...yeah, I'm not sure if everyone runs the exact same distance (I know that's a bit of an obvious statement in that that's the way it is in every race), but I remem dudes passing me out in '09 who (in my opinion) weren't following the racecourse (ie. they were shortcutting it)...that pissed me off...but what the hell? I'll be doing it purely for enjoyment terms...when my bro did it last year, it was very windy...I was down on the beach taking photos & there was like a sandstorm or something...the year I did, there was this crazy mist - couldn't see a foot ahead...so it's not one for a PR obviously...good buzz though...pints in 'tarf aferwards et cetera...
  • Started my training. Done a hill session, a 90 min. and an easy 40 min. run in new trainers (Brooks Adrenaine GTS version 11.). I felt about a foot taller and was springing along like Zebedee.

Went to gym yesterday and did some weights and cross training. Was planning another 90 min. run today and but was kidnapped last night and before i knew what was happening found myself in the pub being forced to drink about 8 pints.image

Feel a liitle tired and emotional today. Thank the lord it is bank holiday tomorrow so will do my run then.

Good luck to all in your training leading up to the big day.

• quiet on here...

what type of time are you aiming for Steve J?

Those Brooks Adrenaine - for mild overpronators, yeah? what made you go for that model over the one I do (Brooks Ravenna 2)? (just a matter of interest)...what's the difference 'tween 'em?

plugging away on a bit of speedwork...trying to get my 10k time down - endurance is fine...can chuck out the 20-milers no probs, but they're sluggish affairs...

so speed is my priority now if I'm to have any chance of breaking 3hrs in Oct...

anyone else up to anything interesting training wise?
  • Adog - I ran the Olympic Marathon Course in London on Monday morning. A great experience that was. It was a test event run by the organisers - good training too. Also a windy Half Marathon last Sunday.

I hope that I'm over the calf injury.
  • Paddy, did you do 26.2 miles on monday morn - is the olympic marathon 3 laps or something ?

had a lot of positive comments from friends about the Dublin mara except one girl last night who had done it and said it was boring - surely not ?  said lack of support on much of course and much built up roads ?

I am signed up anyway and looking forward to it as a contrast to London

• PADDY - you don't know how jealous I am! that's one to tell the grandkids. Bloody hell, what a story to tell in years to come. Ran 'tarf to Howth return today - beautiful in the sun.
    There's a recreation of the 1912 Olympic Marathon in Stockholm in July '12 - registration is this July - I'm hoping to get a place. They're going to follow the exact route & all that lark.
    You feeling good? The calf giving off any niggles?
  • 10kplod - yeah 3 big laps and one small - a bit twisty and turny in parts - there wont be fast times but the blind short lengths should lead to an interesting tactical battle. Not sure about what you are getting at with "built up roads" - it is in a City after all! Boring - i'm not sure about that - its a marathon in a city - other than London or NY there all pretty much the same. Good support at spots but there are a few quiet bits also. This IMO is a good thing as the constant shouting and noise can also be off putting. Its not the fastest but also notb the slowest.

Adog - I'm running Clontarf/ Raheny and the Hill of Howth in the morning (at least thats the Plan)!! Sounds like an interesting project in Stockholm!
  • Anyone got a plan they are following? I need focus!