Options

How much porridge should I eat?

Comments

• Options

Not that I'm an@l about this or anything.......

but I have a specific porridge bowl. Every night before I go to bed, I throw in a handful of currants, some nuts and then fill it with jumbo organic oats to about 10mm from the top. Add enough milk or milk and water to just cover the oats. I don't know the weight but it's much more than a sachet.

Leave overnight in the fridge.

Add a drop more milk, then microwave for 3 mins 30 secs.

Pour on some honey.

Eat...mmmmmm.... 

I've also tried it with root ginger (nice), cinnamon, raspberry desert sauce (wicked), sugar, crushed ginger nuts (lovely), crushed chocolate digestives, Cointreau (mmmmmm, but not on a work day) and probably other stuff I can't remember.

I could happily eat it 3 times a day. 

• Options
    Josh Blatchford wrote (see)
    PhilPub wrote (see)

The only reason I know the weight of my porridge is because I like to make sure the porridge/milk proportions are correct.  (Suppose I could use a cup or something but there you go, that's my method.)  I go for 50g oats and 300ml milk.

I don't measure cereal but I know from the frequency of shopping trips that it tends to work out about 100g a time, i.e. I like my bowlful in "Josh" size.  (A big box of Shreddies lasts just over a week.)

That might answer your question.  image

Ok great! So two 27g sachets and toppings should give me the same amount of calories?
    I don't know if I'm missing something, but surely you can work it out from looking at the calories on each pack? No doubt different brands contain different amounts of calories anyway, so it's probably better having a look rather than other people working it out for you image
  • Options

The only thing that would make the calorie content of difference types of 'porridge' significantly different is with the addition of sugar and stuff.  All the more reason to use plain old oats and milk and add your sugary goodness of choice - maple syrup for me - and not worry too much about the calorie count.

The maple syrup doesn't half get sticky in my laboratory-grade calorifier though.  imageimage

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    shantel palmer wrote (see)
    Josh Blatchford wrote (see)
    PhilPub wrote (see)

The only reason I know the weight of my porridge is because I like to make sure the porridge/milk proportions are correct.  (Suppose I could use a cup or something but there you go, that's my method.)  I go for 50g oats and 300ml milk.

I don't measure cereal but I know from the frequency of shopping trips that it tends to work out about 100g a time, i.e. I like my bowlful in "Josh" size.  (A big box of Shreddies lasts just over a week.)

That might answer your question.  image

Ok great! So two 27g sachets and toppings should give me the same amount of calories?
    I don't know if I'm missing something, but surely you can work it out from looking at the calories on each pack? No doubt different brands contain different amounts of calories anyway, so it's probably better having a look rather than other people working it out for you image

...i agree - jeez have a BIT of common sense.

I wonder if he wants us to come and eat it for him too?

• Options

I'm no nutrition 'expert' or anything, but I wonder why the switch to porridge?

yeah yeah, I know all that stuff about sustained energy release, etc etc

But, Josh - you say you ate cheerios? Are they not just made up of oats and wheat (maybe also barley?) anyway? Okay, they add sugar and salt, not necessarily an 'evil' if you exercise lots (and I would say an advantage in the right amount if you run image), and importantly they 'fortify' these branded cereals with vitamins, iron, zinc etc.

From a personal point of view, I found porridge doesnt give me enough energy (used to have it with milk and brown sugar, just cos that was what was in the house image), even in 'massive bowl' proportions - and believe me I can eat a lot image. Used to be starving by 10am at work, and totally 'empty' if I tried a long cycle or run on it. I wouldnt even consider doing a marathon on porridge alone, I would die on my ass image!!

I think porridge is very over-rated, and always stick with plenty of toast and peanut butter for my long run or race breakfast. That stuff is like rocket fuel image.

<scuttles away before pro-porridgers bombard with porridge missiles> image

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    erm - am I the only one who noticed "3 teaspoons of coffee granules"????

And PhilP - image I'm zackly the same in terms of wanting the proportions right, but with 40g oats and 200ml water/milk.

(then honey and raisins and squashed banananana if I fancy it)

but never BEFORE a run!
  • Options

Phil - I was more thinking the difference in calories between 'cheerio' brands, or packets of that dusty porridge stuff rather than plain oats.

Cheerios are just full of air - I just can't eat them because no matter how full a bowl, I'm still hungry a short while later! Same goes for any cereal that's similar, it needs to have some weight behind it.

Jj - yes I noticed the coffee granules........!

• Options
    porridge & smooth organic Whole World peanut butter

perhaps add some whey protein in too

BECOME A WINNER IN LIFE
  • Options
    Jj wrote (see)
    And PhilP - image I'm zackly the same in terms of wanting the proportions right, but with 40g oats and 200ml water/milk.
    I've just spotted the inaccuracy in my post - I use 50g of oats and make it up to 300g with semi-skimmed, so in fact we like the same proportions.  image
  • Options

Tried out 50g of porridge with a mix of milk and water and banana and honey on top. Also ate 2 small satsumas.

Felt great when I was out for a 12 miler earlier, but now I am feeling hungry before its lunch time. May try eating a bit more porridge next time or eating a crumpet/apple instead of the 2 small satsumas.

Guess experimenting is part of finding what is best.

• Options
    I love porridge and use these ones http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Flahavans-Porridge-Oats-Irish/46187011

Bargain price as well image You can microwave them so nice and easy to make in the morning and just chuck some frozen berries in if you like!
  • Options

image Why not just have a little snackette between when you finish your run and lunch if there is a big gap between the two???

I have 1/3 cup porridge:2/3 cup skimmed milk for a training run but 1/2 cup porridge:1cup skimmed milk for a race... with a sliced banana & some honey... mnom mnom mnom. image  And it has to be Scotts porridge oats in our house.

If I'm racing away from home then I've found these to be seriously yum with a squirt of honey... 

http://britishonlinesupermarket.com/acatalog/Flahavans_Microwave_Quick_Oats_Original_44g.jpg

• Options
    CazSoul wrote (see)

image Why not just have a little snackette between when you finish your run and lunch if there is a big gap between the two???

I have 1/3 cup porridge:2/3 cup skimmed milk for a training run but 1/2 cup porridge:1cup skimmed milk for a race... with a sliced banana & some honey... mnom mnom mnom. image  And it has to be Scotts porridge oats in our house.

If I'm racing away from home then I've found these to be seriously yum with a squirt of honey... 

http://britishonlinesupermarket.com/acatalog/Flahavans_Microwave_Quick_Oats_Original_44g.jpg

Oh dear, I buy the Tesco value porridge oats. What a cheap skank I am!
  • Options

Hahaha Shantel... Probably the same oats anyhoo, its just I'm married to a scotsman hence the Scotts oats in our house.  Mr CS came across the Flahavens in Tescos and thought they'd be a brill idea for those early morning races away from home when the hotel kitchen staff weren't awake... Porridge & bowl all in one handy little package.

• Options
    jeez I thought I eat a lot before I read all these posts. For my breakfast I have 1x sachet of oatso simple COLD with a handfull of rasins, and a bananna. And then a few handfulls of dried nuts at 10 fills me up fine till dinner image
  • Options
    until dinner?! wow.  id barely make it to lunch with your wee portions!  I think I must be eating around 70 grams of porridge, maybe more.  Im not sure i care though, it works for me!  porridge is my recovery food though, there is no way i could eat anything before i run.
  • Options

Gosh! I never knew porridge could be made in so many different ways! I thought I was being exciting putting Honey on mine! I'll generally pour a random amount of tesco value oats (as oats are oats no matter what it says on the packet.... aren't they?) and cover with milk, microwave untill it nearly overflows, teaspoon of honey and voila!

Like the idea of coffee porridge, may be good for a pre-run breakfast..... Will try it on the morning but maybe just have 1 teaspoon!

• Options
    Laura Read 2 wrote (see)

Gosh! I never knew porridge could be made in so many different ways! I thought I was being exciting putting Honey on mine! I'll generally pour a random amount of tesco value oats (as oats are oats no matter what it says on the packet.... aren't they?) and cover with milk, microwave untill it nearly overflows, teaspoon of honey and voila!

Like the idea of coffee porridge, may be good for a pre-run breakfast..... Will try it on the morning but maybe just have 1 teaspoon!

Yay, another value oats person! image

Yes I think oats are just oats, no matter what the packaging is. Perhaps they are the non pretty oats that don't make it into the expensive packs.... bit like the bent carrots and cucumbers that get chucked away lol

• Options

Yes but the 'mis-shapes' are always the best. Just think of the bags of misshape thorntons chocolates! Taste even better because they were are so cheap!

• Options
    COFFEE porridge?? image
  • Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    I considered making mine with chocolate milkshake instead of milk as a recovery breakfast after my morning run yesterday. Might give it a go next week.
  • Options

Scots oats are the best, they are better for you for some unknown reason. i think it is a different variety of oat. Certainly it is assumedto be gluten free whereas other oats are not. of course there is far less pollution in Scotland than say America, although the salmon farming is putting paid to that.

Chocolate porridge image

• Options
    Are we pretending we didn't read about the coffee porridge in the hope that the thought goes away?
  • Options
    biker-mouse wrote (see)

Scots oats are the best, they are better for you for some unknown reason. i think it is a different variety of oat. Certainly it is assumedto be gluten free whereas other oats are not. of course there is far less pollution in Scotland than say America, although the salmon farming is putting paid to that.

Chocolate porridge image

Chocolate porridge is actually quite nice - try it! Don't know about the milkshake version as I've never tried that, but mixing a bit of chocolate powder in first and chucking some raisins in makes quite a nice alternative to plain porridge.
  • Options

just eating my coffee porridge as i type - yummmmmmmmmmmmmy!  coffee and cinnamon with banana and bits of apple.  dont knock it til you've tried it!  but then i was always the one who liked the coffee cremes in the box of roses...

On another note (and to stop the coffee bashing) i  have a friend who eats her porridge with marmite and parmesan...

• Options

Now I'm intrigued with the coffee porridge. So.... how do you mix the coffee in without having granules lumps in it? I'm going to have to give it a go tomorrow morning. Ditto with the coffee chocolates, I'm the ONLY one in our household that will eat them, but I'm not sure if it's because they're coffee.... more to do with them being chocolate.... and me being a pig image 

Now, cheese on porridge is just WRONG!

• Options

i use instant coffee, put that in the bowl or saucepan at the same time as the dry oats and add hot water and cook.  no lumps at all!  yummy caffeinated loveliness image

• Options
    Katiecom wrote (see)

just eating my coffee porridge as i type - yummmmmmmmmmmmmy!  coffee and cinnamon with banana and bits of apple.  dont knock it til you've tried it!  but then i was always the one who liked the coffee cremes in the box of roses...

On another note (and to stop the coffee bashing) i  have a friend who eats her porridge with marmite and parmesan...

marmite and parmesan I can understand.

Coffee NO.

• Options
    I may be having a big appetite but I always have a big portion of porrodge for breakfast. My usual weight is 75g dry weight, I make it up with water and add sliced banana and some cinnamon, nutritional value around 400 kcal depending on the weight of the banana. I tend to be hungry really quickly in the morning before lunchtime around 10.30 but not at all in the afternoon so to avoid munchies pre lunch I tend to have a largish breakfast and that keeps the hunger away till lunchtime at 12. I often eat porridge for tea as well, I just love the stuff so much.