Hanley Building Society Potters Arf Marathon

Comments

• Fair play compo..............2 halfs in 3 weekends!

My first event was the edinburgh marathon in 2008 and i have been running ever since BUT....... I no i dont train as much as i should, i run tues & thurs night after my daughter goes to bed and a LSR on a sunday morning.  My LSR is anywhere from 8-12 miles.  I no i need to up mid week runs by a mile or two and up my LSR to 10-14 miles and that is my plan once i get this 'Arf Marathon' out of the way, also im going to go out on the push bike (with my daughter on the back) on a saturday afternoon.

All this is so hopefully i dont need a week to recover from a half.............hoefully

• Entered this as my first HM & i'm 10 weeks into my training just starting to feel comfortable on my longer runs but a bit worried about the two big inclines !!! I live locally so i know just how steep they are so i'd appreciate any tips from people who have already done this one !!!
  • Does anybody know how the hills compare to the Macc Half?  I've done Macc a couple of times but never done the Potter Arf and starting to get a bit concerned by all the comments about the hills.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    couple of steep hills the second is just after mile 11
  • Compo 1 wrote (see)
    couple of steep hills the second is just after mile 11

What is lovely after doing 11 mles!!! image

As already been mentiond its a fast start.............And its also a fast finish!!!!

• well, Im in, after being told its a tough course, I thought what the hec, its only 12 miles from home and my wife can go shopping image

Still, a bit worried about it now that I have read some of the comments.

this will be my 3 Half in 6 weeks, Chester, Mull of Kintyre, and now the Potters.

Looking forward to it...
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well I have Marsden 10 miler challange this sunday 1st half nearly all uphill
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Hi there- anyone done this one and Hereford Half? Looking for some comparative times- failing that, some details about ascent/descentimage
  • Jason D - haven't done the Hereford Half so can't give comparative info but in terms of ascents and descents my memories from the last two years are that...

3 climbs to watch out for

1. Victoria Road (roughly between miles 2 and 3) wasn't sure whether to mention this but both years it has me huffing and puffing early on. It is a long slow drag, not too steep but enough to feel it over the distance.

2. Anchor Road (roughly between miles 4 and 5)as you come into Longton there is a 90 degree left hand turn which takes you under a railway bridge and then this hill appears in front of you. This is a proper hill. Seems to last at least half a mile and is much steeper gradient than Victoria Road. I feel 50:50 as to whether I'll need to stop a walk a bit of this one.

3. Milton Road (roughly somewhere after 11.5 miles - don't worry you'll know it when you reach it!). This is the one which everybody mentions, and for good reason, it's a killer. It can't be much more than 500m long but it's the sheer gradient and the fact it appears so late in the race that make it so tough (for me anyway!). It feels like you're running backwards!

Once you get to the top of Milton Road if you can find your legs again you're just about there. Less than a mile to go if memory serves correct (which it probably doesn't!)

Good luck mate.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    watch out on Milton road one friendly resident has a hose pipe that runners can run under if it is hot
  • This is my local race and also my first time of entering!  I'm hoping to get under the 2 hour mark image

I've 'run' (read jogged slowly!) up all the hills in various training runs over the last few months so have a good feel for them.  

Milton Roads steep but it doesn't last that long although being quite near the end of the run makes it a lot harder.  My Garmin has it at an elevation of 44m in 600m

Anchor Roads a grueller, just seems to keep going on forever.  Even after reaching the top of it, it took me a while to get my breath back even on the decline!  Garmin has it as +50m elevation over a distance of 1k.

As someone else said, Victoria road is also a bit of a wearer down and appears quite soon in the run.  The road is around 1.5k long and rises by 30m.

good luck to all.

• monday 30th may- 10mile (am)

tuesday 31st may- 4.3mile (pm)

thursday 2nd june-  4.5mile (pm)

sunday 5th june- 9mile (am)

sunday 5th june (pm)............my bloody knee feels like its gone/going!!!!!!!!  Was going to run tuesday night but will either give it a miss or go out on a push bike for the 1st time in years, unsure what to do yet.  But i will deffo be there this sunday even if i do nothing at all this week!

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    did Marsden 10 mile challange yestaday in 1h18 got Spenbrough 10k greenway race Wednesday night
  • well got my race pack today. I have had a cold, no no no, let me get it right, MAN FLU for the tail end of last week so lucky to survive. Went out and done 6 miles on the flat in blistering Stratford heat yesterday and was knacked. So hoping for some inspiration for Sunday from somewhere.
  • Does anyone know if this is full? The race leaflet says entries closed on June 6, and no entries on the day. But the website says there WILL be entries on day...??

Where is race HQ? A name of a road would be good. No details on leaflet, and I remember getting lost last year. Is it in Hanley town centre or Stoke?

• not ran this week.........bike ride tomorrow night followed by a walk around hanley on saturday afternoon after checking in to the hotel.

Hope every one thats doing this event enjoys it.

• Good question Barry.Have been trying to find a post code for hq with no luck.Have to hope it's signposted!

•  Missed out on the Buxton half ,went to Blackpool for the weekend with mrs wings, had a restful time.image

Did the Wales marathon on sunday at Tenby, it it was a hilly,hilly ,hilly marathon image. half way 2.10 legs ready to quit.Thank goodness we are not alone,my fellow runners were feeling it like me,always good company on the runs,managed to get to the finish in 5.05image . spent time helping fellow strugglers with cramp etc.went out for fish and chips after and a couple of pints of guiness.

Not run an inch this week,better stretch my legs on friday and then give it a go at the Potters, trying to get under 2.00. 

Good luck everyone and enjoy it,see you there.image .

• Barry its Hanley Town Centre,start at the Potteries way,runners line up at Huntbach Street.Finish in front of the Shopping Centre by Sir Stan Matthews statue.

email Ken Rushton at    member@run222.freeserve.co.uk

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    got to beat 1h37 which I got in 2009
  • Thanks Wings of Fire.

I seem to remember race HQ was near Millets Cath. By the statue mentioned above.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    weather not looking too good - possibly heavy rain atm
  • my first potters arf, looking forward to going back to hanley after many years, I used to live off one of the roads off Milton Hill, but wasn't a runner then, now wondering why i enetered image

hoping for under 2 hours but troubled with trapped nerve in the back, off for more physio at lunch time

• andyc209 wrote (see)
    weather not looking too good - possibly heavy rain atm
    I will take heavy rain over blistering heat any day of the week!!!!
  • ran the English half in Warrington last year in torrential rain, the day they called the ryder cup golf off in South Wales, it was lovely image
  • pottermisspottermiss ✭✭✭
    Hi Chris,

See you half hour before the start as arranged elsewhere...

I am bringing Barry the Baton of Coasters fame image he has arrived safely today

My foot has been sore this week - too many concrete miles on Canadian 'sidewalks' has caused bruising I think, easing off now, hoping it will be good for Sunday.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    does anyone know if car parks are still free on a sunday
  • hello pottermiss, good luck with the foot, feel like I've been kicked all over but hopefully will do me good for Sunday, see you there

• i don't think so compo, about £3.50 for long stay
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    nearly M50

I parked in the muti storey £1.50 all Sunday

well what a race knocked 4 mins of 2009 time getting 1h33 those hills I flew up so cold though waiting to be walked to start great race and will be back next year