Running to get to a race

I'm marathon training.
In a few weeks time there's a 10K race I really want to do.
My training run for that day is meant to be 14 miles - so considering that the race is about 8 miles away I'm thinking about incorporating the race into my long run by jogging the 8 miles to the start. I'm sure lots of people do this sort of thing but what are the pitfalls and how do you overcome them?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I depends on whether you intend to do the 10k as a race, or just part of your long run.

If it's the former, then you will have tired your legs a little by the time you start.  Also the point of long runs is to do them slowly, not at 10k pace.

If you just mean to do it slowly as part of your long run, then that would be fine, except you'll be eight miles from home when you've finished your fourteen-mile run.  Is there a bus/train/lift you could get to get home?

Also, unless you time it very precisely, you'll have a bit of a pause between reaching the start, and actually starting the race.

• Thanks Wilkie
    It's meant to be a fast finish run so the jogging there and racing it works OK. But, hmmm, I think I'm being a bit silly doing it really - its not an easy public transport journey home.
  • Get a lift there and then run home maybe ?

My concern really would be about timing - you'll get cold if you have to hang around at the start, but you dont want to be late either.

• There's no problem with it in principle.

The race will be fine and may well even be improved by the 8 mile warm up (it is a low intensity 8 mile after all) but if you are actually racing the 10K you wont fancy much more than a 1-2 mile slow jog afterwards, so you really do need a method of getting home.

A couple of weeks ago I ran a 4.5 mile warm up, raced a HM, and then ran 4.5  miles home.....that final 4.5 miles was tough I can tell you. It didnt help that the whole 22 miles was very hilly but I think you would probably find the same regardless of the terrain.

The inevitable gap between arriving at the start and the actual start of the race is not really a problem but you wouldnt want to do the warm up in the same t-shirt/vest that you intend to race in....I made that mistake once and nearly shivered to death. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnny,

can you not just flip this the other way round? Run your race, THEN jog 8miles. You'll be knackeerd at first, but it will ensure it's a properly slow run as a long one should be.

(obviously accounting for how professional you are as a 2-3mile warm up should really be on the agenda!)

Advantages are you get to run the race as hard as you like, and no conundrum of being 8miles from home after the 14mile exertion!

Personally, unless the race was miles from home, cross country, a comeback race after injury, or an odd distance, I wouldn't want do race if not flat out.

Otherwise your normal rivals will beat you, and your time will not do you any favours.

I'm an overly competitive type thoughimage

• I agree with Stevie above.makes more sense to run home at a nice slower recovery pace................

If you run there then you won't do your 10k time justice so why do it.............might as well just stay nearer to home and do the longrun for freeimage

• Thanks for the replies everyone. If this race was on my doorstep I'd have no worries about doing what's effectively an 8 mile warm up. Flipping the effort levels wouldn't work for me I don't think as I like to pamper myself after a race and I think I'd have those 8 miles on my mind the whole way round.

The only person I'm competitive with is myself. Got a PB at this race last year (it's flat as they come) and want to see if I can crack it but I think I'll let it go. Thought of getting the shivers is too daunting.
  • I've run to and from races twice - once for a road race 6 miles away and again for a fell race about the same distance away but over the hills.

The fact that I did it twice shows it was ok for the first one!

1) 6 miles, hilly 10k race (2 mins slower than I was capable of), 6 miles home slowly. Carrying the extra t-shirt was annoying so I ditched it when I passed a charity shop.

2) The fell race was an entirely different story: 6 miles of bogs, 7 mile race through bogs, 6 miles of agony (through bogs) home. I think the run home took 30 mins longer than the run there!

• If you really want to do the race why don't you just move your long run to another day?

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    desk jockey wrote (see)
    Carrying the extra t-shirt was annoying so I ditched it when I passed a charity shop.

Did you buy it back after they'd washed it, DJ?  Cheaper than an launderette!

Johnny, could you drive half way to the race, park, do your warm up, race, warm down, then drive the remainder home?  Spot on 14 miles, decent wu and cd.  I've done enough races and training runs carrying a car key...

• Good idea Ratzer. Yes probably could do that. 4 miles wouldn't seem that far afterwards either I guess.

I wonder if anyone's ever ran to or home from a marathon?
  • Ratzer's "park and run" idea sounds best- remember to put a bottle of chocolate milkshake, or flask of coffee in the car, and a warm fleece- otherwise the drive home may be a bit grim.