Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Hi Thomas, the car was fine lol, my work colleagues have given me plenty of grief about this illuminous yellow lump sliding down the back of the car i hit. Good luck with the park run, glad to hear you’re feeling good and confident. The club sessions are clearly helping you.

Moonlight, i have had toast and honey before a run, forgot about that little beauty. I have been running straight after work recently as the nights close in meaning its usually around 4 ½ to 5 hours since i’ve eaten, and i have to admit it feels much better than when i run 2 or 3 hours after eating.

Grendel,  which garmin do you have? I have the 405, if i go through to training/workouts/intervals and set the desired times for my intervals it lets off a pretty loud 5 beep warning at the end of  each interval to save me looking at my watch. I run around country lanes most weeks and now the dark nights are coming this setting becomes invaluable to me.

5 mile tempo run for me tonight after work. 1 mile warm up, 3 miles @ 9:30m/m and 1 mile warm down. Considering i have a bit of a cold and a very sore throat i was well pleased at the splits, 9:16, 9:22, 9:15. Felt reasonably comfortableat that pace and hopefully a sub 58 minute 10k Sunday based on that. 50 miles up for the month and Sundays race will bring up 250 for the year.

Week 7

Month - 53

2011 - 245.09

• Well done Thomas and Just Run, some good performances there and good luck to you both ahead of your respective efforts

Just Run, when it is back from the factory - I have a Garmin 205 - may look to upgrade at some point - but not yet - trouble is at moment I am just using my cheap casio watch and map my run which is OK for steady runs, but for the interval session - not so good when it is dark a s it dosn't  have a countdown facility.  Oh well hopefully back in the next week or so.

Did 4.33 (according to map my run) this monring - averaged 8:43 which I was quite pleased with - easy day tomorrow then 6 Sunday and then I am going to taper for the 10K next Sunday -  was planning to do every other day, Tuesday (strides) Thursday steady Saturday short  jog and then the race Sunday the 2nd October - advice please does that sound enough to taper or should I look to do something different

All suggestions appreciated. 

• Parkrun came in at 22:18 off my Garmin so hopefully the official time is almost the same. I'm happy with that considering I wanted 22:30 after 23:05 three weeks ago.

The Garmin thinks the course was only 3.01 miles so these mile splits of 7:11, 7:34 and 7:29 won't be totally accurate but it does look like I could maybe do with pacing myself a bit better.

That'll be it for me this week, 3 days of running and around 15 for the week. I would've done a 3 miler tomorrow but I'm going out tonight instead.

Edit - official time 22:19, 7:11 avg m/m. PB by 46 seconds. Smiley face !!
  • hi all i like to join, just started back last week did 3 runs, 9miles altogether, this week looking at 20miles, was 12st before my injury, went up to 15st, now 14st 5lb, hope to be in racing shape for about april, my best 10k is 43,15sec, in aug,s 2010, i,m 54 december, times running out would like to get down to 42mins, thats my goal at the moment, only trouble with losing weight, people say i look older, and they are right but i feel a lot better, then i was 15st i looked younger but felt down, eny way you can;t save your ase and face at the same time, if i look older but felt great thats for me, any feed back would be great, thanks and may good fortune follow you all.
  •  ps got the bug back big time.

• Welcome along soulmate. That's a good 10K PB you've got there.

What kind of injury did you have? How long did you run for before you got injured?

• hi Thomas kerr i,ve had every injurd under the sun,  last time i pull a muscle on my side,baby jumped on me, been running for 6 years was 18st 5lb, got down to 12st, was 14st 5 lb this morning lost 1lb last week but only stoped doing weight for one week the weight should come of quick soon because i,m not doing weights, ,that ok as long as i,m losing, want to be racing next april, what your goals mate, i would like to do sb 40 10k or to just see what i can do, i think i would have to be about 11st for that, but lets see,
  • Your taper sounds fine Grendel, i’m no expert on the matter but i have read a bit and get the impression that keeping the intensity but slashing your usual mileage in half ain’t far off. One week for a 10k, 2 for a half sounds familiar?

Fantastic effort Thomas, thats great. Is a sub 22 on your radar now? That would really be shifting but looks like you’re more than capable.

Welcome to the thread Soulmate, you’ve got a very nice 10k pb there, no harm in aiming for the stars, no matter how old you are. I can’t believe you’re going from 9 miles to 20 in a week? Is that sane? I’m looking to shift a few pounds over the winter myself so maybe a little peer pressure will help us both achieve our goals?

Sunday 25th September – 25th Taunton Deane 10k

A lovely morning for a race, absolutely poured down all morning until about 5 minutes before race time, followed by clear skies  so perfect conditions.  Started right at the back, running the first mile in 9:59 which was bang on target. Upped the pace slightly to roughly 9:30m/m, hitting 9:29, 9:23, 9:43 (difficult to overtake during this mile as we navigated a narrow lane full of women who are so bloody intent on running 5 abreast filling the road), 9:12, 9:06, and the last push around 8m/m pace.  I felt great until the last mile when my legs really did get heavy, my wife on the other hand looked a bit too comfortable (think there will be a real race on next time!). We ran round together all the way until she surged for the line, finishing in around 58:30. According to my garmin i completed the race in 58:38, the gantry time 59:01 so pretty spot on considering we had around a 20-30 second  walk to the official start line. My wife set herself a new pb, knocking a full 10 minutes off her previous best!!!

We’re looking at the Bideford Half Marathon next March but i’d like to find a 10k in between to try and progress over the winter and keep me motivated. A very large, very tasty Cornish pasty was a nice reward afterwards.

Week 13.2

Month – 59.2

2011 - 251.29

• Soulmate - As for my goals, I'd really like to get my 5k time down to 20 minutes by around March or April, then I'll do some 10k's over the summer.

Just Run - well done on your 10K, that's some PB for your wife. Yes, sub 22 is definitely my next target. I'll do another Parkrun in about a month. Glasgow is quite a hilly one with 300ft of ascent over the 5K so I'm thinking about trying Strathclyde Park next time. That alone might get me close to 22.
  • Well done Just Run and brilliant by Mrs Just Run - to knock 10 minutes off is brilliant!!  Have you thought about moving up to a 10 miler before the Bideford Half

And I would have thought Thomas sub 20 is on the cards as to be able to run 22 off the injury problems you have had is pretty impressive

Welcome to the thread Soulmate - as Thomas said that is a pretty good pb you have - and no reason to think you can't go sub 40 - again its all about consistant progressive training - good luck with shifting that last stone too!!!

Did 3 miles yesterday - very easy and then a tired 45 minutes tis morning - but around 5 miles so happy with that although was a bit about going out at all to be honest today - but once out was fine.

With a week to go until the Southend 10K - part of me hopes I gt my garmin back before next Sunday so I can pace myself but part of me thinks no - just go for it and run as I feel - have my 18 year nephew who beat me by 5 minutes over 5 miles in March to chase  - but I am hoping the running I have done since then will pay off and I will be a lot closer to him. The race is very flat and very fast, basically 3 miles out and 3 miles back so am hoping hat it goes well - have done it before many times but I'm older and a lot slower now so will be interesting to see how it goes - 2 week break and then a 5 mile race -

Spent the rest of the morning watching the Berlin marathon's appaling coverage of Paula's return and was very impressed with bot her and also Scott Overall's 2;10 50 something

Thanks for the words of advice re the taper - I have only ever tapered off marathon training - but 10K is now a marathon!!!

• Spoke to Garmin this morning - they have forgotten to send my replacement - should now be with me by Wednesday at the latest!!!

Woo Woo!!!!!!!!

(my rest day ahead of Sundays 10K didn't go as well as I planned - as instead of taking the day off I did 20 minutes!!!  (easy)

• Grendel- Fingers crossed the Garmin arrives in time for the weekend.

Soulmate- Welcome to the forum. The inspiration these guys have given me since I started is unbelievable.

Thomas- Well done on the Parkrun. Good to see things coming together nicely.

Justrun- Great stuff, well done to you and the mrs for the times in the 10k. 

Well I have finished the run/walk programme and should never have to take a walk break again...(Even I am not daft enough to think this will happen) If i feel the need to stop for a breather after 20 mins or so I will. I Will be going out Tues, Thurs and Sat/Sun this week.

30 mins non stop seems so daunting but exciting too.image

I will let you know how it goes..

• Thanks Beachball - not sure whether I will wear it at the race sunday - I remember many years ago in the Essex relays  one of our guys taking us from a medal postion in third place to 12th because he was wearing his heart monitor and was running within his prescribed zone - did not go down well!!  I think it might be better to run as I feel with my old stop watch and not worry to much about how fast but according to how I feel -

The Garmin is good for training though as like this morning - my taper schedule said 10 times a minute off 1 minute recovery - done at 10K pace - that is where it becomes an asset as other wise unless you are on a track ( I wasn't) it is not easy to judge a certain pace.

Oh well the schedule says rest day tomorrow and guess what I might just do that!!!!

Happy days

• Beachball - well done on finishing the run/walk programme. Did you do you run today?

Did a 5K with the club tonight in 21:26. Not an official race or anything.

Got a wee active recovery day tomorrow with a bit of hillwalking. It's a smaller hill than I'd usually do at 2300 ft and it will be at my dad's pace so it should be a good leg stretch. I'm going to run this hill one day so I will visualising that the whole way.
  • Lol Grendel, I can imagine the guy was not popular for a while.

Thanks Thomas, Good luck with the hill walk.

Yes I did it. I am so happy, I successfully managed 30 mins non stop albeit at a rather pedestrian pace covering 4.46km.

Whether it was the adrenalin or just one of those days but I even felt great at the end and feel I could have gone on. I'm not sure my running app is as accurate as I first thought though as my km splits were 6.51, 6.51, 6.50, 6.52. It could be right but they seem so regimented I must be like a machine. I don't look at my phone it is purely there for looking at on the computer when I get home.

I don't want to get to hung up on times or pace at the moment but am going to try my (kind of) local Parkrun either the 8th or 15th Oct.

Don't you just love this running larkimage

• Well done Thomas - 21:26 is still a good time whether it was an official race or not - gives you a target at the next ParkRun - sub 20 not far away!! 

Enjoy the hill walking and hope you are getting the sort of weather we have down in the east

Well done as well BeachBall - 30 minutes non stop regardless of pace (which will come as you get fitter) and you possibly are running even paced - you are not trying to push yourself so are 'drifting' along nicely - carry on enjoying it and set that Parkrun target!!!

and yes I think we all do love this running lark!!!

• Just back from hill walking, we had an early start. If it hadn't been so windy, it'd have been a perfect morning for it. Still a nice walk though.

Grendel - I did expect to hit around 21:30 for the 5K as I ran 22:19 at Glasgow Parkrun which is quite hilly. My Garmin logged it at 2.99 miles but it did also log the Parkrun short at 3.01 miles so it sounds about right. I will definitely run a flat Parkrun next time at Strathclyde Park and will aim for 21:00. I would be delighted to hit the 20 minute mark, hopefully in the next few months.

I'm moving out of introductory group at the club next week so will be running with faster people, that should help me along a bit.
  • Well done everyone, PBs (Thomas & Mrs. Just Run, awesome) and good runs flying around all over the place! And welcome Soulmate image

Just briefly checking in to say hello, still have this pesky injured foot (it's a tendon overuse injury, I think) and continuing to rest. Been two weeks since I ran, but not as much progress as I'd hoped - going to start cross-training next week and hope for the best. Hopefully I won't be out for much longer, otherwise it'll be a case of starting again from the beginning...again!

Beachball, great job on the continuous run and deciding to hit up the local parkrun image I don't suppose that Cambridge is your nearest one, if you're looking at the Ely 10k?
  • Got some catching up to do by the looks of it, not been able to post all week!

Grendel,  will definitely look for a 10 miler between now and the Bideford half, looking forward to tackling a longer race distance.

Good luck running that hill one day Thomas, sounds a little daunting to say the least.

Big well done on the 30 minutes running Beachball, that’s an excellent effort. When you think where you started you’ve come a long way already. Well done you

Nice training run there Thomas, that’s some pace. Sub 20 coming soon!

Hope you’re back soon Moonlight, good luck with the cross training. Take it steady! We’ll all still be here waiting for you.

Just the two runs this week so far, going for an 8 miler Sunday and if I’m up early tomorrow maybe an easy 4 miles too. After last Sundays run in Taunton I had a nice easy 4 miles along the canal with the boys on their bikes along side me, the pace was non existent due to my youngest stop starting but I wasn’t worried as I just wanted to stretch my legs.

Did a 5 mile tempo run with the wife as well this week and very, very pleased with it too. Had a nice slow warm up mile (10:45) then upped the pace. Was supposed to be 9:05m/m according to the schedule but they came in at 8:46, 8:42, 8:38 followed by a warm down mile (9:52). 5 miles in 46:47, another pb for the wife! It wasn’t easy, and it was very hot but we were reasonably comfortable throughout. I have to admit it does seem so much easier to keep going having someone next to you. Some glorious weather we’re having at the moment so making the most of it.

Week 9 Month – 68.2 2011 - 260.29
  • Moonlight = That sucks, I hope you're back soon. We all know how frustrating it is.

Just Run - well done on your tempo run, it's great when things go a bit better than expected.

Club session on Thursday was a relay type thing. It was slightly easier than previous nights which was good as my legs were quite heavy.7 miles tomorrow which will give me about 15 for the week.

Weekly miles for the last few weeks 16, 18.42, 17.33, 15.

September - 66.

The last few weeks have been 3 days and less miles to adjust to training, next week I'll do 3 miles easy on Monday, club Tuesday and Thursday then a longish run Saturday to take me back to 4 days. I expect club sessions to be tougher now so I'll need to play it by ear and see how I cope. I've never ran on set days of the week before; I've just fitted things in around my ever-changing shifts but it looks like Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday is going to be my routine now. I work nearly every Saturday though so I'll just need to deal with it.

Edit to add - Saturday morning run done. 7.04 miles in 59:10. Great run, faster than I thought I'd do it but it felt fine, as I ran with one of the road runners from the club and we chatted most of the way round apart from up the hills.
  • Moonlight- Sorry to hear that foot is still being a pain. I am basically somewhere in the middle of Cambridge and Norwich (30 mins to each) so will be choosing one of those Parkrun's.

Thomas- Great effort this morning, I could only dream of running 7 miles in under an hour....

Just run-  Well done on this week's running.Thanks for the kind words and I guess I have come along way since the 1st August.

However...Like some kind of superhero out of a Marvel comic, I decided to go out in the hottest part of the day (against the wife's advice) It was awful. Right from the start it didn't feel good. I managed 4 km but had to take 2 walk breaks during. I felt really ill when I got in and it was certainly a lesson learned the hard way.

Keep up the good work all

• Well did it 10K 55.39  in 29 degrees no wind out and back along Southend Sea front - (and went through 5 miles in 44 minutes something which is 6 minutes quicker than when I ran the 5 mile race in March) well pleased given the conditions - then spent the day on the beach.

5 Mile race in two weeks time!!!

Happy days  image

• Nice one. really tough conditions to run in.

Well done.
  • Thanks Thomas - quietly pleased
  • Thomas,

good luck going back up to 4 days. I only managed 3 this week but but back to 4 next week and my 2 easy runs have doubled to 4 miles now. Very similar September totals for the both of us. Well done on the 7 miler, the fact you chatted all the way is a very good sign you were comfortable, good time too!

Beachball,

you’re not the first to learn a lesson about running in the middle of a hot day, and you won’t be the last. I’d be amazed if theres a runner out there who hasn’t done it but I think it says something about your attitude that you went anyway, rather than putting your feet up in the garden.

Well done Grendel, great time in those conditions. A real confidence boost to go through 5 miles in 44 minutes too. You’ve every reason to be pleased.

Squeezed my 8 mile Sunday run in early evening. Legs got a bit heavy after 5 miles but although I had to keep myself going I feel so confident over the longer distances now. I don’t think for one minute I’m not going to be able to finish. Roll on next week. Found my next 10k, the Ilminster lions 10k in November.

Week 17 Month – 8 2011 - 268.29
  • Well done Grendel, that is impressive stuff.

Just run- Glad your confidence is high and another race penciled in, well done on the 8 miler.

Much better tonight, I managed 4.33km in 31mins non stopimage. Slowed it down alot early on with splits of 7.05, 7.25, 7.32 and 6.54 for the last km as I felt I had a bit left in me so just lengthened the stride a little.

Very happy with that, hopefully sets the week up nicely. Looking at either Wed or Thurs and then Sat or Sun runs.

• 3 miles this morning at an easy pace, I didn't time it.

My Garmin was inside a sealed tub with some silica gel. The display has been very faint since Saturday morning so I was thinking it was maybe damp from being out in the rain. It doesn't seem to be getting any better though so I think I'm going to send it back.
  • I would send the Garmin - back in my be better to phone them first to discuss it - they gave me a reference number which I had to quote on the outside of the envelope and it allowed me to track it via my Garmin account too (once they had got themselves sorted out).

Well done Just Run on your 8 - that is the next stage for me - (once I get the 5 miler out the way Sunday week)  I won't book any other races in then until March and spend the winter increasing distances on the Saturday and Sunday runs - but from a time factor keeping the mid week runs the same - (although if I can get down to running 8 minute miles regularly can increase the 4s to 5s!

(I did bump into an old running buddy Sunday and he suggested I go along and do some of their Sunday morning Cross Country - which I might do but they are all a good 60 miles from where I live now so may not be practical) Will have to keep an eye on the dates of them - as nothing improves stamina like running off road.

Beachball pretty consistant pacing there and the fact that you had somethingf left at the end shows how much fitter you are getting!!!

Seem to have recovered OK from Sunday - was a bit sore when I got up yesterday but decided that I would do a couple of easy miles to run the stiffness out of my legs and then to increase that to 3 this morning which all went off without incident - am going swimming tonight with the family which I always find helps to ease the muscles -

Oh well work calls - happy running.

• Just Run: Thanks, I appreciate that; and I hope you all continue to progress well over that period too. Outstanding job on the 8 miles too, and roll on Ilminster! Will you be aiming for a time?

Beachball: Incredible seeing how much you've improved in such a short time, great running. Funnily enough Cambridge (home run) & Norwich (university) are the two parkruns I do - best of luck in whichever one you decide to attend image

Thomas: Thank you, not as bad as it could be due to heavy academic commitment early on in the semester, but I'll want to be active soon. I think I'm less than a week away though, so good news. Hope your own running is still comfortable with no niggles.

Grendel: 10k in 29 degrees, what can I say?! Madness, but awesome running. Are you feeling psyched up for the upcoming 5 mile?

I'm continuing to exist on a steady stream of ice, rest and nurofen - seems to be working and I'd imagine that I can resume running next week. In the meantime, the gym is currently my tormentor but it can only be good for me in the long term, but all this core work really is decidedly difficult. Today I was fortunate enough to receive a fantastic long-sleeved running top for the imminent winter (it's my birthday), so very chuffed with that! I need all the help I can get with looking like someone who actually has a clue image
  • Happy birthday Moonlightimage

Thanks for the kind words about my progress. It seems it is a very small world, I have just started as a mature student at the UEA last week.  Do you commute daily. We may have even shared a train...Lol