Options

Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Options

Going to be hitting some speed work myself this year! Im actually quite looking forward to some track stuff, ive not really done much before apart from at school. image

• Options

Not sure if this is going to work 3:30 but as requested

January 140.48 February 169.99 March 182.15 April 103.32 May 163.18 June 203 July 185.58 August 180.14 September 183.37 October 160.68 November 195.07 December 211.17     Total  2078.13

(it didn't work 3;30 as that should have been a spreadsheet!!!)

• Options

Well done BB you are already quicker than me image

JR hope you get out later

Grendel - Your stats make my head spin

B2B - You'll be fine.........looking forward to being your taxi, support crew, photographer, and No.1 cheering squad.........unless it snows of course then you will be able to locate me.......In the pub image

• Options

Awesome stats there Grendel image

Nice gentle 3.44 miles for me today. No walk breaks and pace 10:10, 10:06, 9:56 and 9:03 for the last stretch. Felt very good. Weather was bloody awful.

Jan - 9.65

• Options

Hi Beachball, a good start! Stay motivated, it doesn't take long to build up speed or distance but don't rush it!

Well done on your run JR, I agree the weather has been awful today making it more of a challenge run!

B2B what sort of training runs have you been doing/intend to do to get you through a 50 mile run?

Mummysaurus your progress has been great so you should be happy! I like your supporter ideas lol!

Wow Grendel, good luck with sticking to your target!!

Well I went out tonight, hoping for a 7-8 miler, turns out I ran 8.69miles, inclusive of a ridiculously large steep decline and incline hill (had to walk down as it was hurting my knees) but ran most of the way up. Then the last two miles the wind up'd it's strength and the rain started so I had a tough battle to get home too. Feel well chuffed now!

Also...I signed up for the Yorkshire Marathon this morning! image (wish the santa hats would go now it's not xmas anymore)

• Options

Lisa that is last years mileage not this years, looking for more speed this year now I have built the mileage up -

• Options

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

I was being too optimistic to think I would be ready to run again so soon. I ache..

Having the weekend off and going out again Monday. Feel it's the sensible thing to do. Don't need to rush it.

Have a great weekend all image

• Options

Wow thread moving quick

Beach Ball welcome to the thread

B2B four weeks ?!!!! good luck with it my friend

JR good luck with your run in 9 weeks

Grendel thanks, awesome stats 203 in June is fantastic

Lisa - when the Yorkshire run ?

Well, I am off for 6 or so later - first run this year. New shoes arrived so no excuse !!!!!

Have a great day all !!

• Options

Lisa - This is going to sound strange but stick with me! image Most of my training has been done over the year. Lets head back a little bit. Mid 2012 I trained hard for my first marathon in November. After that I just kept the training up and kept up the long runs ready for my first 50 mile in May. 2 months later was the 100k Race to the stones and since then I have just been working on making 10 miles a "normal" run. For my birthday in mid december I did a 34 mile training run on a grumpy hamstring.

I think once you have a good foundation unless you are going out to win then in a way you can relax the training and focus on the task at hand. For me the most important part is making the start line as I know that mentally I can get the job done. It may not be fast, it may not be pretty but im not giving up! I know as long as I can get my hamstring to play nice then its party time! image

I have been reading a lot of late about topping out at around 16-18 miles which I thought was interesting. The idea is the mileage you have accumulated over the previous weeks simulates longer training runs. Great for preparing you physically but in my opinion nothing can prepare you mentally for running for a long time other than just running for a long time! image

• Options

Sound piece of writing B2B

With my marathon training the miles were - somewhat - irrelevant on some training runs and it was more time on feet looking back now I wish I had put in more 3.5 hour runs.

• Options

Grendel that's really good then! I think I managed about 250 for the whole year lol, although I was contending with pelvis problems and then a car crash injury. Good luck with your speed work then!

Good luck for Monday Beachball.

330 hope the run in your new shoes goes well! Yorkshire marathon is in October. Should be running well by then!

B2B I have come to realise that fitting in the long training runs is what I need to do instead of keep just speeding round the block. I am actually starting to enjoy the longer runs (only doing between 6-9mile runs atm but that will increase the more I do), I think that is because I'm getting stronger and fitter so I'm not struggling as much with them. Now hubby has a new job with better hours I should be able to fit more longer runs in. I'm trying to stay positive as for me the mental task of a long run is more challenging.

• Options

Well was up at 7.30 but decided to go later just off and the heavens have opened - I don't mind running in the rain but not this heavy to start out

I swear its rained every day at some stage for 2 months at least.

• Options

cheers 330 image

Lisa - "only" 6-9 miles?! Thats not too shabby at all! Take pride in your miles, every single one of them. You can learn something from each one be it good or bad. Just keep putting in the 6-9 till you feel comfy then add 1. Now run 6-10 miles on the long runs for about a month then add 1 or 2 and repeat. Every 4th week have a cut back and make the long run a 6 again. Before you know it you will be knocking out easy 10 mile runs and no feel trashed all week!

There is little point in smashing out say a 15-20 mile run if you cant run for the rest of the week. Lately ive tried something like 10 miles on monday, 3ish miles on tuesday and maybe lunchtime spin class, rest wednesday, 6-10 mile thursday and maybe lunchtime spin class, rest friday, saturday, sunday then start again.

Sometimes I run at the weekend and the structure of the runs changes but that is roughly what I have been doing for the last month or so.

Now its taper time. Going to hit some regular small runs nothing bigger than 6 miles and going to get some spin classes in and some massage 

• Options

Ok cool. Thanks for the advise. I am back to work as of Monday so the schedule and routine can start then, hopefully as follows - I will have about an hour to run after work on a Wed, go swimming Thurs, run Friday, and long run Sunday.

• Options

Got out eventually

7.2 miles at 9:45 pace

• Options

Well done for getting out 330.

Well December seems to have taken its toll,struggling to the point I have taken the last couple of days off. Will get out tomorrow though as life returns to normal after the break.

• Options

sounds perfect Lisa image

330 - thats some great running!

Grendel - yeah im not surprised you put away some serious miles!   

• Options

Thanks B2B new shoes got all muddy now !!!!!!

Why do the make most running shoes in light colors !!!!

• Options

Well done 330

Grendel you deserve the rest 

Went for a nice slow plod this morning, very frosty and quite slippery in places so that's my excuse for going so slow snails were overtaking me but I did manage 7.24km which according to Mr.Garmin is about 4.5 miles so I am chuffed with that 

January - 6.7

• Options

wow well done mummysaurus! image Look at you go!!

• Options

Well done Mummy your making good progress

Raining again here !!!!

• Options

330 I don't know, but my trainers are in desperate need of a clean! but I've been running so much lately I haven't had time to give them a good scrub and get them dry in time for the next run..maybe later today?

Well done Mummysaurus, great achievement..doesn't matter on the speed!! Great distance!

I went out for a 10mile run today..lungs felt great, legs were still aching from Fridays run but not enough to stop me running..even managed to sprint the last half mile! I felt so positive! 8:55pace, well chuffed as i'm slowly lengthening my runs but keeping the same pace, which in my eyes means i'm not rushing the increase in distance or pushing myself too far? Buzzing now!

• Options

Well done on the near 9 miler Lisa. And good for you getting a race entry in. When is the Yorkshire Marathon? As B2B says, when you’re building the long runs up take an easy week in every four. Then up it again. Forget the pace, it’s time on your feet that will give you the confidence and mental strength. Oh, and just read the 10m post. Double figures!!!

Don’t worry too much about the aches Beachball. Just take it easy, maybe ease the pace a little.

330, hope the new shoes are ok (judging by the 7+ miles they are!). I took a look at my road shoes earlier and the tread is almost non existent. Only 400 miles in them too but I have to be honest, I have worn them to football training as well as a few other places too which is something I usually avoid doing with my running shoes. Seeing how quickly they have deteriorated I think it’s time to buy a cheap pair of cross trainers and make sure my running shoes are used for just that.

B2B, I’m sure you’re right there. If you’re running at over 10m/m I reckon the body can cope with huge distances much easier as things shouldn’t break down anywhere near as much. Walk breaks are a great way to boost distance too and the mental side must play a huge part when tackling the kind of distances you do. With no pressure on running fast you can just relax into it. The human body is capable of far more than we give it credit.

MS, well done on the 4.5. You’re not far off a 10k run now!

Muddy shoes? Stuff them with screwed up newspaper, shove them on a radiator and they’re good to go tomorrow.

6.75 miles for me today. Watched my daughter play football this morning in awful wind and rain for the entire match so could hardly wimp out of my run. Took it slow today, had a good stretch and alarm set for morning.

Jan – 16.4

• Options

Hey folks just a quick catch up.

Just did just over 3 miles in my new Luna. I think I might need to suck it up and buy a bigger pair. Running is fine its just the walking. After running for a little while you move about a bit and when I stop for a walk my foot just slightly hangs off the back.

Oh well, they are pretty good in the mud! image

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdOkTmMIIAA-BY9.jpg:large

2014 - 6

• Options

Nice B2B! image

Wish i'd taken a photo after i'd gone through the fields today. Lots of green grass, very deceiving, ankle deep in mud and water most of the way.

• Options

Typical British bloke there B2B - sandals and socks!!!!

4.25 miles this morning - slightly faster than of late so maybe therest has helped a bit, but finding it difficult to get any rythmn going as the sea wall is covered in debris and sand blown up off the beach - Might have to start running inland a bit until it is cleared.

• Options

ha ha ha Grendel bit of a party faux pas eh?!

• Options

LOL Grendel I should of ribbed him about that ages ago image

No running for me, but I have physio and believe me that will be just as much of a workout as I need today

• Options

Hope you all had a good weekend. Some good running going on in difficult conditions I see.

Had all morning to go out with the sun shining and just as I decide to go the heavens opened. Oh well, it was quite refreshing.

2.3 miles in 26 minutes. Happy with that.

2014 - 4.53 image