Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• 330, I think the rule of thumb is 30% of your total weeks running, as opposed to 30% more than a normal run. For example, if I run 5 Monday and Friday and 6 Wednesday then Sunday would be 6.85 (30%). If I up my running week to 5 days then it could look like this Mon-5, Wed-6, Thu-5, Fri-5, Sun-9. One extra running day increases the long run quite significantly. 

I don't know whats right or wrong and I guess there is no 'one size' for everyone. I have been looking at Hal Higdons site and his training plans too. I think for the purposes of the 20 mile off roader i'm training for, which will be a 'get round' event for me time on my feet and building up the long run on the back of lots of easy/steady runs is what i'm after to stay injury free and increase my endurance. 

The wife is running today (planned 10 miler) so I will probably end up following suit. Weather is bloody miserable here.

• Yeah is here to weather man said would be cloudy this AM but right on cue as I headed out the door at 8.15 rain came down but not to heavy !!

30% of weekly total sounds good that would have made my long run today around 7.5/8 - that seems a good rule as ties in the long run to the weekly miles. I shall use that from now on I think

• Some great running. Good luck to everyone running long runs this weekend!

I couldn't be bothered to go swimming in the end on Thursday, and likewise was lazy on Friday, didn't fancy getting drenched. I have managed to drag myself out today for a very comfortable 9.8miles. Feeling happy now!

% wise I don't follow the rule...maybe I should but this week I only ran 4.8miles on Wed, and then my long run today..but I have managed to comfortably run around the 10 miles for 3 weeks running now?!

• I'm not sure about the rule, many many years ago I belonged to the serpentine running club (briefly) and they had a journalist running for them called Geoffrey Cannon I think he had a column in Running magazine (RWs previous incarnation) and he reckoned the long run shouldn't be more than 50% of the overall target - My total this week is 45 (ish) and my run today was 13. so approx. 28% of my overall total. Remembering that I can't fit in more than 6 miles per day Monday to Friday the sunday run has to go up to around 20 before May it will account for approx. 35% of my total - Horses for courses I suppose - what will work for one won't work for another.

As I said 13(.1 actually) today averaged 10.35 although was trying to go slower. Have found that I do run slightly quicker when the daylight finally creeps in. Started at about 5:45 and it was p***ing it down but the rain eventually went away and the dawn broke - The Halstead Marathon undulating so am seeking out some hillier routes in preparation. Finished off with Tesco Value Raspberry sports drink.

• Well done Grendel! I must get myself this Tesco drink, sounds nice!

First attempt at running with tired legs in prep for The Wall wkend. Ran 6.6miles today (after yesterdays near 10m), started out slow but once I got going I felt good. Actually unintentionally ran the quickest I've run that route before! A beautiful day for a run too, lovely and sunny with a cool breeze. Feeling happy now! image

• Well done Lisa - 10 followed by 6.6 is good going

• Everyone seems to be doing really well and keeping motivated which is brilliant. 

I know I don't know much about running but I seem to remember reading somewhere that your long run shouldn't be more than 50% 0f your previous weeks total miles, not sure if that seems logical to anyone?

Did my long run (well long for me) in my Luna sandals 5.5 miles very happy with that no blisters or hotspots, but very tight legs by the time I got back to the car, think I will need the foam roller later, used the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run method seems to work well for me, a couple more weeks and 10k should be achievable I think.

January 26.94 

• Thanks 330

5.5m Mummysaurus that's great, you are doing great with your runs! Less than a mile to reach 10km! Go you!

• Great to see everyone out and about. I overslept big time this morning (9:30) so missed my run as I had promised the kids a walk along the beach if the forecast better weather arrived. Can't believe after the recent storms we were walking along the sand, searching rock pools and eating chips on the sea wall. What a difference a day makes. 

Got home from the beach, watched Chelsea hammer Man United 3-1 (we're coming to get you Grendel!) and then, in the pitch black, when everyone else seemed to be settling in for the evening, I headed out the door for just over 10 miles. The dark certainly doesn't help with your pace, but that's not a bad thing on your long slow run and I aimed at 11mm mindful of what Grendel said earlier. I stuck to the short loop which meant 8 laps, the most I have had to do on any run but I found it pretty good going. Got a little tired going into the last mile but had a good stretch and alarm set for a recovery 2/3 miles in the morning. 

January - 60.52

• JR - well done. I hate then when you have a run planned and cant go. But you done well pushing yourself out later - that's commitment !!

I normally run after work midweek around 4.30 and can definatly see the evening getting lighter

• Morning everyone,

Well done MS , 5.5 miles good work image  Was aiming for 5.5 last Friday but due to testing my recovered ankle only did 2 just to make sure it wasn't going to blow up. Happily it seems to be fine now and was just a result of last weekend over doing it I think.

Went out last night and put in 4.2 miles also so am back on track again and injury free at the minute .

Well done everyone , it is certainly pushing me on to get out there seeing some of the mileage people on here are putting in . 

Half entered the Ipswich half marathon in September image They are accepting entries now . 

• LOL - I have no doubt you'll get us JR, probably City too!!!

Good to hear that the ankle injury appears to be sorted.

Fueled by Quorn Mince I went out this morning with visions of striding along like Mo Farah - not sure how he does it but I felt cr*p. Ligh headed and the chilli paste and other ingredients my wife had loaded it up with made for an interesting run. Felt quite lightheaded  almost like I had hit the wall. Oh well managed 5 miles so that'll do nicely

• WOH! This moved along quickly over the weekend!! Well done everyone! image

Regarding the percentage of running, it would be hypocritical of me to give any of you a number! image For me pushing my miles up is more about listening to your body than following a number. I have found cutting back every third week really helps to push the miles up. JR if you are training for a 20 mile then personally I wouldn't train any further than say 13/15 miles being your longest run. Now I know that sounds like a long way to trust your body but if you were doing a marathon you would top out at around 18-20 miles. You have the miles tucked away in your legs already its just a matter of rest, then unleash it on the day image

Lisa - thats great if you are hitting 10 with ease! image If you have hit a 10 3 weeks in a row then I would run a 6 this weekend then try 11 or 12 next week then cut it back to 10`s for the next 2 (did that make sense?) image

Grendel - Light headed? Been there!! image I guess you dont carry any snacks or water with you? Having a walk break and sipping some water normally helps me out. On the long stuff I put in snack breaks as well, its more like a picnic with some running thrown in ha ha ha

I had my deep tissue massage on saturday, not a major change but she did give them a good pasting! image

Might head out for a little 3 or so tonight

• LOL no B2B I don't tend to have anything before I leave either - drink wise or whatever - just up and away - image - a carry over form the old days I'm afraid. As the distances get longer on a Sunday and as I tend to pass our bungalow at least once I should maybe leave a drink in the garden to have as I go past (yep Tesco value sports drink set to double in sales (or treble if Lisa buys too!)) maybe as the marathon is just to get round comfortably then maybe I should be looking at carrying snacks - would milk gums count

• Grendel - ha ha ha if they work for you then yeah image I look like the most prepared person in the world even on a 5k ha ha ha its just habit now 

• Grendel - check out the marathon site see what they provide at the aid stations - some provide energy drinks or shots.

I remember at my last two marathons I used energy geld which seemed to provide some help. Would defo consider using them again

• I tend to carry one of these most of the time...clif bar, trek bar, chia seeds, maybe some peanuts, sometimes a snickers nearly always got something on me ha ha ha. Pretty much always carrying at least 300ml water regardless of distance. Might not eat or drink any of it on the short stuff but its always there image

• 330, was rather pleased with myself for pushing out the door last night. All too easy to curl up on the sofa and relax. Agree with the carb gels, instant fuel and easy to swallow.

DS, well done on the half marathon entry. Nothing like a race entry to keep your mind on the job. Glad to hear the ankle is okay.

Grendel, I can now add sausage and chips to my ‘not before a run’ list of meals. Was seriously repeating on me during my long run.  I have tried carb gels in the past. Orange flavour ones, very sweet but go down very easily and very good as the body doesn’t have to work too hard (or wait too long) to use the energy.

B2B, have planned to peak at 15/16 miles prior to the Grizzly. Although it’s 20 miles practically the whole course is off road with serious hills throughout, not to mention the muddy knee high bogs. There are plenty of threads on here about the race and everyone advises you to prepare for a marathon. Peanuts are good, jelly beans are great too!

I don’t tend to take anything with me if I’m out for 90 minutes or less and up to 2 hours just water. I do make sure I’m hydrated though and I’m careful the night before long runs or races not to eat anything I know will not sit good although sometimes you have to try out new stuff.

No heroics today, a very steady 3.25 miles. Rest day tomorrow and 5 or 6 Wednesday.

January - 62.77

• The only time I have taken drinks with me lately is when I ran my 12 mile runs and that was that drink made famous by Grendel - Tescos !! it really is good stuff !!

Didn't manage to get out tonight but disappointed but defo out tomorrow

• I always wear my salomon running vest and fill one of the bottles with water for pretty much anything over a 4m recovery run, I'm trying to get in the habit of wearing it so that when I'm wearing it in a race, come rain or shine I'll be used to it.

• Rest day yesterday so out tonight , and really looking forward to it image . Wish my body could take running most nights but it really couldn't handle it ....... yet image .

JR- I was looking to do the Ipswich half last year and that is when I re-discovered running but didn't give myself enough time to train for it (I did try but got injured ,too much,too soon) . Really excited about it and can't wait to start training properly for it. My view has changed so much on people who actually do run distances, the race itself is like the climax and enjoyable bit after months of hard work and graft to get to that bit. It will make all the long runs when I really couldn't be bothered worth while. As we said in the Navy , 'Train hard , fight easy' . I am taking that attitude into my half marathon traing as I really want to enjoy the day and not worry if I am just going to get round or come through the line on my hands and knees.

330oB - I bet you were watching Rangers last night image .  Terrible game to be honest, grinding results out is not a lot of fun and them plastic pitches do not make for entertaining football

• DS - yes did watch. The game itself wasn't to good, but when you have an opposition in the mind set of hacking anything that moves and deliberate nasty fouls like that one on Wallace (that no.2 then went on to hack Templeton as well and should have been off before they subbed him) then its hard.

But 20 points clear - WATP

• I don't like carrying drink - I will leave a  bottle in the garden and it may be a good idea to carry a £1 to stop off and buy a drink soemwhere. (if open at stupid o'clock).

When is the Grizzly JR?   It does sound awesome.

Anectdote time along the lines of what not to eat - a fuill English Breakfast approx an hour and a half  before the start of the national Cross Country Championships (when it was 9 miles not some poncy 10K course) is not a good idea - it reapeared in the finishing funnel much to other runners disgust!!!!

6.35 miles done this morning. Thick fog, ice and no wind, a day when it was great to be out!!!!

• spot on Booktrunk, thats why I wear mine all the time. I have the Ultimate Direction AK vest, awesome bit of kit. Its really small though so sometimes you have to be a little creative with the space! image

I guess for me my training has always been about going further and further so my attitude to food and water might seen a little over the top when heading out for a 5k ha ha ha. Its just a habit that has stuck with me and now my vest just feels like "part of the uniform" for me. When I do run without the vest it feels a little strange, im just so used to it! Ive been wearing it for nearly a year now! 

ha ha ha Grendel not sure thats quite what the funnel is for!

• This thread is flying at the moment image finding it hard to keep up.

I always carry a drink I guess I belong to the "just in case brigade" I am like that in my non running life too, the handbag has everything except the kitchen sink in it. That's probably where B2B gets it from image When out running I do make sure I have a snack or something with me if I am out running on my own I am not diabetic but I do have a bit of an issue with blood sugar levels which is complicated slightly by the fact my body doesn't like it when I eat sugar, so no gels or shot blocks in my future, and sadly can't try the Tesco miracle fuel assuming that has sugar?

• Mummysaurus is actually Batman image

• I put a bottle in the hedge when I'm doing loops as I too don't like to carry anything. Never ran far enough to worry too.much.

The Grizzly is on Sunday 9th March Grendel, lots of videos on YouTube. I am really looking forward to it.
  • ooo looks like a lot of fun!

• JR - Theres a local haf here on 9/3 but has a cut off time of 2.5 hours and don't want to be nearly last but may think about it

• coming last is fun! people cheer like you won! image