Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• spinning for me again this lunch time, was supposed to be a "slow stretch", I think "bat out of hell" is closer to the real description image

I had planned to head out last night but to be honest still felt me legs a little from the deep tissue kicking and well....couldn't be bothered! I figured that another rest day would help me out. Going for a nice hilly walk tonight with Mummysaurus as a kind of recovery for both of us.

• Do it 3:30 you know you want to. will give you a target.

• DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! image

• imageAnkle problem back again . Not impressed .  Done 2.83 miles tonight and could feel it most of the way round .  Google doctor will be getting visited tomorrow. Sometimes running feels like 3 steps forward 2 back.  

• DS, don't give up. 3 forward, 2 back. image Take two days off, try again, if still sore take another two days off and try again. If still sore then Mr (or Mrs) Physio could be needed but please don't let the little setbacks win. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation as often as you can for 20 minutes at a time. Let us know how you do. We have all been to the injury bench on here so stick with it. Love the 'train hard, fight easy' mantra.

B2B, it certainly looks fun. Have found a very tough, hilly & muddy 8 mile loop just up the road which will serve as a good training run before the event. Hope you enjoy the hilly walk, great idea for a recovery workout.

330, DO IT image I have been last in an event, my first ever 10k but somehow doubt you'll be anywhere near last judging by your training pace. GO FOR IT and spare a thought for me when you finish.....i'll still have another 7 muddy miles to go! 

• Thanks all !!

Well I didn't get out tonight - opened the door and it was horsing it down. I don't mind the rain but not starting out in a storm !! Pissed off because every time I seem to get some consistency obstacles are put in the way. I need to get up to at least 112 miles this month to keep on my yearly target so another 42 miles needed at least this month

Will think about the half but only up to 8 just now so more than likely my comeback half will be early August at Helensburgh half. To add another 5 miles in about 6 weeks is a big ask and to be honest. I don't feel mentally ready for a half - shame as this time last year I had planned to do the race

JR - Good luck the event does sound fun !!

DS - just a small set back - don't give up

B2B - love the enthusiasm

Grendel - Thanks but think its August for me and a half - I hope to break around 2 hours by then as Helensburgh was my last half, would you believe 6 years ago. Was aiming for 2 hours but missed it by 35 secs

• 5.47 miles this morning. Lovely mild morning, if just a little foggy! A good stretch tonight, will add my miles later too.
  • Must admit am jealous JR. Would like to get out early mornings get it done.

But simply must get out tonight even though it will be raining as it has every single day for at least 2 months here at some point

Even walking my dogs on the grass areas the water squelches over the tops of my shoes. !!

Have a good day everyone

• 330, I could easily have hit the snooze this morning but I simply asked myself what the point of making the effort up to now was if I was going to slack off and miss a run I know I will enjoy for the sake of an m hour inbed so needless to say i told my lazy arse to get the hell up and get out the door. I quote enjoy running in the rain although i accept it's not always easy. I do wear a running cap though if its really bad so i can see where im going, it really does help. Just get out there, whatever the weather, you'll be glad you did.
  • Morning , well a visit to google doc has told me I seem to have posterior tibiotalar tendinits . image .  Will try the recommended strengthening exercises and see how it goes for a week or so .  If no improvement I may have to visit my physio and get him to work on it. At £35 a pop I really could do wihout too many visits .

Onwards and upwards , plan in place for recovery and its not like I have not been here before (ITB last time) .  If anything ,stuff like this makes me even more determined. image

Possible causes I think I may have pushed myself too hard a few weeks ago. Also I think my orthics are not giving me the support they used to so will be looking at that as well.  

• DS - I had a sort of ankle problem last year just above the ankle. What I did, was to keep a capri sun drink in the freezer and each morning after my run and shower I sellotaped it to my ankle/leg and left it on until it  melted - I just re-froze it each night and did the same the following day. I do have to say id did leave me with the most horrendous ice burn that was seeping for a few weeks - but the constant icing did work wonders.

Not sure what happened to the icy foggy wind free weather from yesterday (other than it has moved to Devon and JRs neck of the woods) but another stormy, wet windy day - just the weather to run a 6 mile fartlekl - still managed it and was glad to get indoors again. Both trainers are now stained red from blisters but other than that enjoyed myself enormoulsy - Happy Wednesday

• In don't mind running in the rain at all its just that when it hammering it down I don't like going out and starting off it, if its drizzle fine but last night was torrential.

Problem is living in Scotland if I didn't run in the rain it would limit my running to about 3 weeks a year. Seriously fed up with the weather now its ridiculous here, rain every single day at some stage

B2B - Did the Capri Sun ever get drunk or is it now confined for use as an injury preventer ?

DS I sympathise - physios have the potential to be very rich people. I gave up using them as they always said on my first visit "oh another 3 or 4 visits should see an improvememnt" and to be honest 9 out of 10 times the injury never improved

I remember one time was living in London and decided to go to this posh physio company in central London, on first visit she said I will need 4 or 5 sessions at £25 a time - but they seemed to be good so I went back when I went for fourth visit place was empty. The security guard at the building told me they had done a runner taken all their equipment and buggered off !! injury never improved either

• 330oB - I know what you mean about them, I am still undecided if last time I sorted out my own problem or he actually helped as doing the exercises from Doc Google seemed to work better. I did enjoy getting acupuncture from my physio though image

• Ds, the NHS provide free physio and because having you back ten times is of no benefit to them they will have a structured rehab plan for you. Orthotics can also be prescribed on the nhs too, they last around a year and then you simply take the cast of your feet back in and they will do you another aet.

We have what they call a mobility centre in Exeter. They are incredibly helpful and have kept me running!

Well done on the fartlek Grendel. Just don't go sending me that rain (although it doe9ewnt look like i'll have to wait long looking out the window). Could be a wet ride home.

As Grendel says Ds, ice it!

330, I thought you Scots were tough lol.... I sympathise with you, sounds like you get a shed load of bad weather there. Once you're out there's no turning back but when you're standing indoors, in the warm, hmmm....that's not so easy.

Good luck if running tonight.
  • Thanks JR gotta get out. I have not run since Sat now - I need to get the miles in if I don't reach (at least) my target for this month it will be a disaster being behind in month one !! Besides have done well last 2 weeks want to keep momentum going

• Well done on getting out 330, just seen the challenge thread. Good man. image

• Not good DS, hope you find a recovery solution!

Sounds like you had a good run Grendel!

Well done for staying strong and motivated JR!

Hope you had a good run 330?

Well I couldn't be bothered tonight, but I dragged myself out anyway. My shins were hurting again..everytime I seem to push myself for a speed session my shins seem to hurt (only aching, not painful). Either that or they still haven't recovered from the long runs at the weekend?? Anyway, once I got past the 2mile mark I seemed to run the aches off, and eventually ran 5.38m. When I checked my times and my previous run times for that route (I also keep a data record of my runs, I have them dating back to 2006!) I realised that I was actually 50secs off my pb for that route, which was achieved the day before the car crash. So I am really chuffed cos that means I'm almost back to pre-car crash fitness/speed. Happy days image

• Well done Lisa, good to see you're back to near best. I have found I don't get going until about 2 miles into a run and there does seem to be a relationship between this and my long runs getting to around double figures. 

• Good to know it's' not just me then. I should probably start using the first 2 miles as my warm up really, but I just get carried away once I'm out the door!

• Thanks JR

Well done on getting out Lisa.

Agree with JR it takes a mile or so to get into the run. Done 6.4 tonight, so that's 75 for month and should hit target

Now as you know I like to log the stats. So to make logging miles more interesting I am going to do a virtual tour of every ground in the premier league in desending order down the country. So first will be Newcastle and last will be Southampton. I have worked out Newcastle is nearest to my house at 178 miles away. Then I will count my miles from Newcastle to the next nearest ground which is Sunderland 13 miles from Newcastle - and so on till I get to Southampton

I have worked out the mileage but now working out the distance between each ground. Have started but to tired to finish so will do so tomorrow. But I still have a fair way to go before I get to Newcastle !!

The furthest ground away is Southampton at 455 miles but the total miles will be greater as sometimes I will need to go across country to get to grounds. Could be fun !!

Then reverse the process to get back home finishing at the Famous blue gates of the most succesfull club in world football Glasgow Rangers !!

• Lisa/JR - I tend to not really get into my stride till about 5 miles now which is a little bit of a problem when I just want a short run! image

• Am 'friends' on Facebook with a guy who calls himself the Lord of the Streak - has run 2,000 odd days on the spin, Before Christmas he ran to all the North East Clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough and Hartlepool. 61 miles in total.

Good to set yourself a challenge 3:30 as you know I did it from Clacton to John O'Groats and Clacton to Gdansk the other year - a good way to keep the runs going.

Legs are tired at the moment but am managing to keep plodding away with a once a week burst of speed - strangely my back hurt this morning when I was running - (not to mention my two feet which are beginning to look a bit raw, won't paste a picture of my trainers but are now blood red -

6.27 miles run.

Well done all and well done for getting out. and good news about the fitness levels Lisa

• Grendel, hope the back eases up. You must look a true warrior in your blood stained shoes!

I know what you mean Lisa, sometimes you just take off. It's happened to me a few times and I've decided there and then that an attack on my 5k or 5 mile pb is underway.

B2B, lol. Most of us are finishing when you're just warming up.

330 I remember Grendel mapped runs and thought it a great idea. Wanted to do one myself but just didn't get around to doing it but after reading your post will cone up with something myself.

Rest day today but cannot leave this thread for long, great to see evwryone out running.
  • Lisa, when you're doing a speed session do you have a warm and warm down either side of the faster running? I find they tend to hurt a little less ran this way rather than straight on it. For example, a 5 mile tempo run would be 7 miles in total with 1 mile warm up and down either side. A 5 mile speed session could be 1.5(ish) mile warm up, 3x 00m with 400m recoveries and a 1.5 mile warm down. I have often warmed up over the first mile, had a stretch and then gone into it. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know, but this approach may help the shins.
  • The problem is once I have worked out exactly how many miles to get from home - Newcastle visit all other grounds and finish at Southampton, I need to get back - so as my year target is 1350, if when I get back I haven't reached that will go round a few grounds up here to finish off.

Know it sounds crazy but makes the miles seem more real saying I have run round all grounds in UK. Hopefully will be able to plot it on a map somwhow. Newcastle and St James Park is 178 miles away from my house and have done 75 do far !! so about just over 3 weeks to get there !!

• I did think about using the AA routeplanner 330. Seems a good idea? Just pop in a postcode of your first destination and then use that for your next starting point. Should be accurate enough! Now I just have to think of a realistic route judged on what I hope to be around 1000 Miles come December. Don't think I'll run back home though, might just keep going!
  • JR - I guess if I wasnt "plodding" so much then I would get quicker at the short stuff, I just find it hard to go really fast without hurting myself and ive found by doing so much endurance training my "warm up" just takes a little longer. The 4 mile walk I did with Mummysaurus for example, I got home and still had cold feet! 

• That's what I am using JR. But for more accuracy and plotting my runs to the actual address of the ground not the potcodes

As of last night I had run 75 miles which means I am currently on Waterloo Place in Edinburgh. As its on the route to Newcastle I have decided to visit the only Scottish football league club playing in England Berwick Rangers.

Seems funny to say since the beginning of the year I have run from my house in Helensburgh all the way to Edinburgh !!. I need to get a map to log it !!

Grendel - Did you plot yours on a map ?

• I'm not surprised your feet were still cold wearing those bloody flip flops B2Bimage
  • ha ha ha I had socks on as well image Mummysaurus`seses feet were toasty and she was wearing the same!