Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Thanks for the advice guys. Just need to get some footwear and something to walk/jog in. Anything I should be looking out for?

• Andy - I would go to a store and get a video gait analysis done. They will look at your running style (by videoing you running on a treadmill) and determine the best shoes for your style ie support shoes, neutral, or motion control.

Normally these cost around 25-30 but free if you buy the shoes so try to go somewhere that stocks a large range. Running is a cheap sport but shoes are vital bit of kit.

• As 330 says Andy, head to a running store. Ask for advice, have a chat. And ask if they have last year's model before spending a fortune! You could also google the wet footprint test which will help you identify your needs. Very simple, very accurate and free.
  • Revised route for TOMORROW! image sounds a bit close eh?! image

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/437944950

• What time is the off tomorrow B2B?

Hope it does go really well for you - You are due a good one at some point where the weather is perfect!!!!

Struggled big time today - how do other guys cope with not running?  No runs today 4 tomorrow and then 15 Sunday.

• Lol Grendel, I cycle to work each day so never without some form of exercise during the week. I've been playing football once a week with some guys from work. All very relaxed and great fun. I also coach kids football so once or twice a week (sometimes 3 or 4 times) I get to run around with them. After all that I'm more than ready for a rest.

All the best tomorrow b2B, I've a feeling this will be a good one

There is a storm forecast here in devon from around midday, torrential rain for approximately 6 hours. Well tough shit, cos I have a run to do so 5 miles this afywrnoon. I will be back later to update.
  • Grendel - Kick off is at 8:30am. I think looking back, the NDW50 last year was pretty spot on, little humid but on the whole great running weather. Yeah I might get "the perfect" run at some point, till then I guess I just keep on with this stuff ha ha ha.

This taper for me has been a struggle, if anything I feel more tired and foggy from not running. Should work out in the end though?! I hope!

Thanks JR, hope your right! If nothing else its going to be a laugh! image 

• No running for me today, just getting myself sorted for picking up B2B at stupid o'clock in the morning and driving him to Oxford, drive home then out again to cheer him over the finish line at Henley image did do 7.25k on the bike last night so that will have to do till Sunday then will try to get out for my longish run.

I will try to update you on B2B's progress tomorrow for those that don't Twitter image

• Grendel - The rest day today will only make you appreciate the weekend runs more.

B2b - Good luck tomorrow. Having a feeling you will nail it. Either way have fun.

Ms - Looks like you got the thin end of the wedge. Enjoy tomorrow also and your run on Sunday.

JR - Jeez, where do you find time to run lol. Seriously, impressed mate and nice figures this month.

Finished the month with the usual 2.3 miles. Giving me a grand total of 16 miles for the month image

Considering last Jan was 60 I believe, I still have a way to go but tiny steps and all that. Main thing is i'm enjoying it again.

Have a fab weekend all.

2014 - 16

• Well i did want to get out for another 6miles tonight, but unlikely to go out at all as the lurgy has been going round staff and students at school and despite dodging it for days it seems to have caught up with me. Went swimming last night and soon after i could feel my glands coming up. Today i just feel exhausted. My head hurts and my throat hurts and i'm so ready for bed. I hate being ill, it gets in the way of my running schedule!!

Maybe i'll try and get out for a couple either tonight or tomorrow morning?

• Just seen the neck rule, and as my chest hurts too, i think i will rest tonight and see how i am tomorrow?

• B2B owes you for your support Ms, will follow most of the day hopefully as I cannot see us being anywhere but home tomorrow. The weather here is horrendous, hope B2B doesn't get this all day!

Beachball, glad to hear you're enjoying it mate. Forget the miles for now, Just Runimage. I guess when you like something enough you find the time somehow. A 20 mile off road mud and hill fest in 5 weeks is enough to get my arse out the door for now. Nothing like an event to motivate you.

Lisa, if it's on the chest then rest! Best advice i've ever had with regards to colds etc. Headaches and sniffs I can kill but sometimes you need to just stop and rest.

5.4 miles in an absolute downpour this afternoon. The puddles were too big to dodge today and my feet were cold and wet within a few hundred yards. High winds and horizontal rain made it a tough 'easy' run but 100 up for the month so well pleased with that. An easy 5 or 6 Sunday to start February. 

January - 100.57 image

• Right thats work done...time to find some arm bands and an inflatable crocodile!

• JR - Well done in getting out in that !!

B2B - Don't forget the snorkel !! and good luck

4.54 for me today to reach month target - just, 113.56 really pleased as biggest monthly total since 2006 !! Total running time 19hrs and 43 seconds

Still not even at Berwick !!!

• 20 minutes till pick up!! image Lets do this thing! image Watch for @cardiosaurus or #TT50 if you want to keep an eye on everyone....long day ahead!

see ya in a bit!

• Fingers crossed for b2b tell him well done from us lot when you pick him up mummy image

January was good for me I am trying to up my running and overall speeds a bit this year, now that I've been 19/20 months at it image My grand total for the month was 152.8m 

• Nice one Booktrunk. I managed to crack 100 this month. Onwards and upwards image

B2B didn't get much, if any sleep by the looks of his twitter update. One long day ahead. Blue sky and sun in Devon, hope he has the same!

• Will be fine, as long as he slept the night before image RW even had a study in the mag recently that said that, harfly if any sleep the night before doesn't effect a one off performance but two nights no sleep don't really help image

• Well done on the centuries (or centrury and half for booktrunk!) JR and BT

6.82 for me this AM nice morning along seafrony even some watery sun, but being Scotland that changed to pish down in last miles lashing down now !! Am in second place on RunHub Feb challenge lol  nearest I will ever get !!!!! Should have run earlier could have been top !!

Right shower time, grub and then Ibrox to see worlds most succesfull football team WATP. Have a good day all

Have been following BTB and he says route changed again since yesterday !!

• Booktrunk, I read an article on that too. Always make sure two nights good sleep are had as the night before is often disturbed through nerves or whatever. In fact, if I was running 50 miles today i'd have been going to bed early all week! 

330, I was top one month (5am run). Told all my workmates I was leading the challenge image, didn't tell them it was monthly.Enjoy the game today. 

• Thanks JR will do but hammering it down here now !!

• Well done JR and BT on massive mileage 

glad you got some sun 330

Will give B2B all your well wishes when I go to the finish.....luckily it was sunny and dry at the start for them but really chilly, it took me nearly the whole drive back to defrost my feet so his sock clad feet in sandals must of been ice blocks......the route was still being made up while they are on the run so at check point 4 they will be given new instructions as the other route is now 3ft deep image 

• 330, rain well and truly received here now. Had two hours of sun image

B2B should have taken his bike MS, could have done a triathlon instead of an ultra!

• February target = 112 miles.

Going to try and run to a few places of interest (virtually) so to start it's off to Charmouth beach (http://www.charmouth.org/chcc/). A real favourite with my boys, we have found many small fossils on this beach. 30.1 miles.

My next destination is Southamptons St Marys Football Stadium, 78.2 miles further down the road. Will arrive early Monday morning all being well.

• JR you could be right about the bike 

latest B2B update check point 4 that's 31 miles so time for me to get back in the car to go to Henley which is about an hour away to cheer them all in

• B2B  awesome performance -  looking forward to reading the blog

Me went swimming last night, did 30 lengths about 750 metres - I hate swimming - it was a real struggle - I almost claw my way through the water, fighting to keep on the surface

Today, 5 miles and tomorrow 15 - hoping the wind drops - then a 2 mile walk into Clacton to get a new battery from Halfords - £84.99 poorer.

• Well done B2b, fantastic performance!! Still no running for me much to my annoyance, as the weather here looks like perfect running conditions, but I just still don't feel well enough! Slept so much this weekend.

Well done on your swimming Grendel!

• Managed to run 16.43 miles this morning - bit of q struggle to be honest, but looking back to yesterday - my entire calorie intake consisted of a Quarter pounder with cheese large fries and a diet coke - what with driving up and down the A12 to visit my brother in law, dropping my wife at her dads for the day then reversing the journey and having to call out the 3 flag break down service - just didn't get time to eat!!!!. Quick shower then another 3 mile walk into Clacton to collect a new battery for car - (luckily I didn't have to walk back with the battery - got a cab back. So all in all I covered around 19.43 miles with the walk. Rest day tomorrow.

• Hey folks thanks for all the luck! I shall catch up properly tomorrow.

Just a taster...45.5 miles of road, boggy mud and ankle/knee high freezing water....

2014 - 68.6

currently 2nd on "the board" image